• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Ok, hoped I wouldn't need to use this, but...

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm gonna have to ask for some [USERGROUP=9]@HELP[/USERGROUP] .

I posted before about trying to track down my iffy port side engine starting, but I haven't able nail anything down. Well, I'm on the river and I shut it down for about 15 minutes, and now it won't even turn over. I've already swapped the wires in the lanyard switch, no difference. I am getting a starter click but no attempt out that engine, and the idiot lights glow red for just a moment before going out, which leads me believe it's a voltage problem isolated the port engine.

I have a screwdriver kit with me, that's it. We're heading back up river at no-wake speed now, but was hoping I could get some hints as to likely trouble spots since I definitely have the time, and it's acting right now...

Do you have dual batteries? Can you swap the cables and or tighten the cables?

I do. Already switched them and checked those connections.

My next thought would be swapping the ignition switches...

Check the cables at the starter. Try to get them to move on the starter stud. Could be a loose wire there

It's clicking from inside the black electrical box on the rear wall of the engine compartment... It's the starter in there??

switch for cleanout hatch? does yours have one for both or two (individual) I think my 06 had individual, two. Try switching to see if the others start/doesn't start.

Behind that cover should be starter relays if I remember correctly you should be able to switch them and see if one is bad.

The starter is on the bottom off to the side of your motor. If you can locate it the wire going to it may be loose, causing it to not get a good connection and clicking

I probably should clarify, the starter is attached to the motor towards the bottom, it should be on the side closest to the side wall of the engine compartment.

Fuses?

Any fuses to check besides in the screw off round part the electrical box?

Any at point of ignition switches?

Maybe that starter solenoid/starter switch behind that main panel box (screw fuse box)? Have you seen link on that fix?

I agree with @jawsf16 try swapping the ignition switches. It's as simple as unplugging from the wiring harness and plugging into the opposite switch. This would eliminate the switch as the cause.

Any fuses to check besides in the screw off round part the electrical box?
Circuit breakers at the helm... I have learned from experience that even though the breakers are set... corrosion on the back side on the spade connectors are can cause a problem. But if you are hearing a click in the engine compartment that may not be an issue.

Last edited:
Check both ends of the cables from that engine to the battery...sounds loose or like corrosion, provided the battery is charged sufficiently. Just a reminder, there are two circuits to each engine that make up the clean out tray cutout switches...one kills ignition, the other kills the starter circuit. It that fails to close, the engine will neither rotate, nor fire. So I don't think that is it unless it is a single failed switch within that switch.

Back