• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

On the market for a new AR Jet boat

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These engines struggle to reach the maximum (7800, if I'm not mistaken) RPM at higher altitude. I had the dealer install the RIVA spacer and ribbon delete at the time of purchase. I don't know that you'd see much gain at near sea level. We're all curious what the SVHO engines would be like in the 21 and 24 ft boats...? Increasing the top speed seems to be a dream that's yet to be realized... many have tried... I can't mention one who has truly succeeded with better than marginal gains. I think there's more to be gained in the low and mid range with tuning and increasing pump efficiency. I've come to wonder if extra horse power the answer or is it a matter of pump volume? More speed requires moving more water, how much more can the pumps handle? I've not heard of anyone ramping up HP to the point they just cavitate at WOT and I guess the 192 boats handle the SVHO alright... Perhaps the boats are at that tipping point in hydrodynamics as is sometimes the case in aerodynamics where the wind or in this case water resistance are so great at top speed that increasing it would require a larger than expected amount of horsepower, maybe more than what can be achieved with the current power plants. Maybe I've opening a new topic?

Anyway, the boats kickass regardless... If you breach 60mph let us know how.
I'm pretty sure someone on here did breach 60 mph in a 240. I don't recall who or if they are still a member I know they came over from the old forum. I want to say the cost to get the boat there was aprox $10k-12K I do not recall the list of mods.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can run 51-52mph all day long (if not too humid or hot), with just few mods and tweaks.
Beyond that - it really depends on the weather, breeze, just the right amount of chop, etc. Clean hull can be worth a few mph.

Easy mods are air intakes (ribbon/snorkel delete), pump intake/grate mods, porting&sealing the tunnel/transom plate, L13 cones, perfect pitch impellers. That will get one to 51-52mph under optimal weather/water conditions at low elevation. Beyond that - it gets a bit more tricky.

ECU reflash does not generate higher max/WOT speeds per se (in a N/A engine) but can be combined with impellers pitched to spin faster - by basically taking advantage of a rev limiter shift. Very different for SC engines (where more RPM means more boost).
Cobra fins MEGAS w/AK Magnum permit sharper turns/less speed bleed.
RIVA Maptuner X reflash helps with that a lot - the boost in mid range power is very palpable, LOL.

I would recommend a couple of simple mods and then get in touch with Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC, his all-time "down" steering systems change the experience of running these boats.
You will be able to corner without braking out and with little speed bleed - generating G-forces that will give you a giant smile. :D

EDITED for correctness.
--

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
A WHAT? @swatski shame on you , let me correct that , It will give you a Giant smile and make the ladies pay attention to your abilities as you drive.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@1_fast_ar240 In regard to Bimini, I assume you are keeping an eye on this , right ????

https://jetboaters.net/threads/bimini-2018.15168/

Not to beat a dead horse about new vs used, but ........ it is not just the purchase price the makes a difference. Some of the ones that are for sale here ( ie you just missed Amar's boat) are highly modified. So you are easily looking at another $5K in upgrades etc.

PS. if you are planing on going to Bimini for sure or taking that AR on rough seas you might want to do some research on the tower ;)

1_fast_ar240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
thanks for that

@1_fast_ar240 In regard to Bimini, I assume you are keeping an eye on this , right ????

https://jetboaters.net/threads/bimini-2018.15168/

Not to beat a dead horse about new vs used, but ........ it is not just the purchase price the makes a difference. Some of the ones that are for sale here ( ie you just missed Amar's boat) are highly modified. So you are easily looking at another $5K in upgrades etc.

PS. if you are planing on going to Bimini for sure or taking that AR on rough seas you might want to do some research on the tower ;)
whats going on with the tower, this is the first time i hear anything about them,

1_fast_ar240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski .... there is a thread on here somewhere about it... during the crossing one collapsed anf hit the driver one the head..
so is that just one thread ? or is it common ? i am looking for the thread

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
***WARNING*** 2015-18 YAMAHA “AR” BOAT OWNERS WITH FORWARD SWEPT WAKEBOARD TOWERS

I think this is it

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
"user error" or "shitty design", it is something to keep in mind while making the decision. I for myself bought fixed tower. ( period)

We all like the idea of "user error" because we ourselfs never make mistakes, but reality is different.......

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so is that just one thread ? or is it common ? i am looking for the thread
I'm sure you must have found it by now.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/warning-2015-18-yamaha-“ar”-boat-owners-with-forward-swept-wakeboard-towers.14828/

The good news is - there is a fairly strait forward solution to the issue, especially if you are not in need to put the tower up and down all the time. In that context, the AR240 is still arguably the best value model in the 24' yammie platform. Add few mods - and the boat is pretty handy and incredibly versatile.

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm sure you must have found it by now.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/warning-2015-18-yamaha-“ar”-boat-owners-with-forward-swept-wakeboard-towers.14828/

The good news is - there is a fairly strait forward solution to the issue, especially if you are not in need to put the tower up and down all the time. In that context, the AR240 is still arguably the best value model in the 24' yammie platform. Add few mods - and the boat is pretty handy and incredibly versatile.

--
I meant to tell you when I grabbed my boat from storage the other day to start my stereo upgrade I went through my normal routine which includes checking the tower bolts and to my surprise one was extremely loose for no apparent reason almost two full turns to get it back to tight i just thought it was weird.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I meant to tell you when I grabbed my boat from storage the other day to start my stereo upgrade I went through my normal routine which includes checking the tower bolts and to my surprise one was extremely loose for no apparent reason almost two full turns to get it back to tight i just thought it was weird.
According to Yamaha this condition is caused by operator error. Or, "a combination of operator error and conditions".
:D

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am one of those whose storage situation required raising and lowering the tower after each use. After 2 seasons I have not encountered any issues with bolts loosening or worse.

To date, and correct me if I'm wrong, there has been one reported total collapse during moderately rough conditions, resulting in minor injuries to the driver (@swatski ). This occurred during the 2017 bimini crossing. Others have reported loosening of the hand wheel bolts. These bolts are the sole means of supporting the tower.

I feel fairly safe in my towers operation, but I will be looking at a secondary failsafe means of securing the tower.

I don't think I would discourage anyone from purchasing the boat, but be aware a potential issue is present. Check your tower regularly or wear a helmet and neck brace.

1_fast_ar240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am one of those whose storage situation required raising and lowering the tower after each use. After 2 seasons I have not encountered any issues with bolts loosening or worse.

To date, and correct me if I'm wrong, there has been one reported total collapse during moderately rough conditions, resulting in minor injuries to the driver (@swatski ). This occurred during the 2017 bimini crossing. Others have reported loosening of the hand wheel bolts. These bolts are the sole means of supporting the tower.

I feel fairly safe in my towers operation, but I will be looking at a secondary failsafe means of securing the tower.

I don't think I would discourage anyone from purchasing the boat, but be aware a potential issue is present. Check your tower regularly or wear a helmet and neck brace.
Thanks

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@
I'm pretty sure someone on here did breach 60 mph in a 240. I don't recall who or if they are still a member I know they came over from the old forum. I want to say the cost to get the boat there was aprox $10k-12K I do not recall the list of mods.
It was satovod on YJB. I could not find the direct link, just the one below, but his mods included but were not limited to aftermarket ecus (maybe the stock ones could be reflashed / reprogrammed instead), bottom paint, impellers, etc.

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34897

this was on a 2010 242 LS, so before Yamaha introduced the carb (California air research board) engines.

If you are looking to improve the performance of your 1.8L powered boat make sure it has the non carb engines or it will be shy on hp because as I understand it the carb boats have hp robbing catalytic converters.

9F40119D-7D3D-4C2A-B7A3-E8F6666EA1D1.png