• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

On the water Help User Group - Join to Help or post @HELP when you are in urgent need

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@HELP So, I finally got my boat in my slip this year and noticed a little water in the engine compartment - maybe 1/2 to 3/4" deep. My wife and I sat on the deck and the bilge ran for about 45 seconds to a minute, then again for another 30-45 seconds. Just cycled again, 2x and didn't pump anything. Should I be worried or no? First time in the water this year, so not sure where the water could have come from...? I have 2 pumps and dock power, so the pumps should keep up if it is a leak. Any way for water to get in there besides a leak?(rain?)

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@HELP So, I finally got my boat in my slip this year and noticed a little water in the engine compartment - maybe 1/2 to 3/4" deep. My wife and I sat on the deck and the bilge ran for about 45 seconds to a minute, then again for another 30-45 seconds. Just cycled again, 2x and didn't pump anything. Should I be worried or no? First time in the water this year, so not sure where the water could have come from...? I have 2 pumps and dock power, so the pumps should keep up if it is a leak. Any way for water to get in there besides a leak?(rain?)
@Belteddeep How often is the pump cycling on? Could this have been residual water in the bilge?

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just had 3 dry cycles(6min), followed by a 15 second drain.

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Could be residual water, I guess. Can rain water get in the engine compartment from the deck? Also, could it be the scupper? I have a 2013

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just PM'd you my cell # if you'd like to call.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just spoke with @Belteddeep by phone. He does have an active leak but is under control with two operating bilge pumps and shore power. We discussed his plastic scupper valve possibly going below the water line as they sit on the swim platform or possibly some resent hull penetrations for depth finder and led lights. Pumps are cycling on occasionally. He will pull boat tomorrow to check for visible leaks at the stern. Anybody with his model boat have any issues with their, above water line plastic scupper valve please chime in.

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just spoke with @Gym - thanks much. Think I'm going to let it ride tonight and check back tomorrow.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just spoke with @Belteddeep by phone. He does have an active leak but is under control with two operating bilge pumps and shore power. We discussed his plastic scupper valve possibly going below the water line as they sit on the swim platform or possibly some resent hull penetrations for depth finder and led lights. Pumps are cycling on occasionally. He will pull boat tomorrow to check for visible leaks at the stern. Anybody with his model boat have any issues with their, above water line plastic scupper valve please chime in.
Since you mentioned above water line scupper I suspect you are talking about a 2010 boat or newer. I see no where where model is posted. If this is the case, check your "O" ring on your drain plug. 2010 AR240 had a recall on that o ring.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Pull boat, put some water in with drain plugs installed....you should see leak.....probably heavy flow

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Have the same boat. The stock pump does cycle to check for water so that would explain the dry cycles. If there are leaks they should be visible from the inspection hatch between the cleanout plugs with a flashlight. Check around the tubes for cleanout plugs too. It is less likely but you could be getting water from under the seats so feel the carpets. One other thing to check is the water level in your fresh water shower. Those plastic fittings crack easy.

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hey @Belteddeep whats the water temp there?
Surface temp registered at 58, which for this time of the year is a little above average. We typically top out around 74 during the summer, but did hit a balmy 78 last year!

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So, I decided to take the boat out and take it to the local marina shop who has top notch service and a couple of big tanks that they can put the boat in to test it out. I'd go through the troubleshooting myself, but my travel schedule just doesn't afford me the time to go through that. I think it may be the scupper and here's why - if my wife and I stood on the swim deck, then every time the bilge pump cycled it would pump for 20-40 seconds and then stop. On the next cycle, it would do the same. It did that 6-8 times, so it seemed like it was slowly refilling when weight was towards the back and possibly pushing the scupper under water. If my wife was on the deck alone, then it would cycle but not pump. I didn't see anything more than 1/2'' of water at the very bottom/center of the bilge at that time. As soon as I went back to the deck, it pumped water again.

When I took it out, I didn't have much time to troubleshoot - other boats at the ramp, but when I did pull the plug, it drained at a pretty good rate. During my 1st two years with this boat (and keeping it in the slip), I can't remember ever having a drop come out when I open the plug, so that's new.

Anyways, the shop is going to call me in a couple of days and give me an update. They are the local dealer/marina at the lake and have wonderful service - they are Cobalt, Malibu,...dealers. The Yamaha dealer, while they do quality work, is woefully understaffed and can't do timely work (took them 3.5 weeks to install Perfect Pass, add a 2nd bilge pump with float, and do a start up).

I'll post an update later in the week - thanks to all!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like you're on the right track @Belteddeep keep up up to date.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's what we initially suspected @Belteddeep. If they do determine it's the scupper valve don't let them replace it with a plastic oem scupper. Go for the stainless steel version. They can be had for $45 - $65 online.

ratchetdu

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
@HELP my buddy just started in shallow water, and throttles in neutral, wouldn't budge, and he forced them forward. Now stuck in reverse. Waiting until morning to put on trailer and really look at it. Thinking rock, but both throttles move, both buckets do not. Can move port side by hand. Starboard stuck. Broken cables, or maybe just disconnected?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Debris lodged between bucket and housing. Remove debris and you're fixed! Easy peezy.