• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

On the water Help User Group - Join to Help or post @HELP when you are in urgent need

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I hope so, but I don't think that will be the case since hr forced it loose without checking...
Yeah, all depends on how hard it was forced. If the cables snapped, the throttles would move freely.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
he forced them forward. Now stuck in reverse.... but both throttles move, both buckets do not.
What boat does he have? Do the throttles move all the way?

The throttles moving but not the buckets worries me! Hopefully the cables are not broken.

Worst case scenario you could tie the buckets in the forward postition to get it back to the trailer.

I have had debris stuck in the buckets a few times. Typically jogging the throttle back and forth will free it .

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Usually stuck controls are caused by debris stuck in the reverse gate/s. But if your controls are moving and the gates aren't, it could be that the cables are disconnected somewhere or possibly broken. But like @Murf'n'surf said, start with the reverse gates and look for debris.

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think so, but I was traveling so haven't spoken with them. Should find out Tuesday and have it in the water the following Saturday in time for 90 degree weather

JDSCHMOO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@HELP !!!

Just put in for first time this season and throttles won't move. Ideas!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

JDSCHMOO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was on the trailer at the ramp. 242ls Btw.

Concrete ramp.

If I push the button on each side of throttles, they work. But then lock in place when returned to neutral.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Lean over back of boat with engines off. Grab reverse bucket and shake up and down until rocks that are binding fall out.

JDSCHMOO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks like it was just stuck from sitting all winter. Moved em by hand but it was tough. We'll give it a go and see how it does. I'll lube em at home.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think I replaced my first reverse gate cable around 6-7 years of age. With no salt water boating.
I would tend to agree with @Julian. You may need to replace both cables especially if you operate in salt water. There is no easy way to lube these cables. Replacement takes a little time but is not brain surgery. Try to exercise them often while on the trailer so they don't seize up again until they're replaced.

Last edited:

JDSCHMOO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will add this to the top of my to do list.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

JDSCHMOO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you all for the quick responses!

Had a great day on the water with friends and family.

I'll get em replaced after checking out the FAQ's .

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think so, but I was traveling so haven't spoken with them. Should find out Tuesday and have it in the water the following Saturday in time for 90 degree weather
So, I spoke with the manager at the shop today and he said that they put the boat in the tank and had 3 guys stand on the swim deck, while he checked to see if he could find where the leak is coming from. He said the scupper is bone dry, the underwater LED lights are dry, and the transducer mount is dry. He did say that there is a hole/gap in the sealant along the starboard side - I think back in the corner where the lower hull comes together?(I was on break from a meeting, so didn't get all the detail - he's going to snap some pics). Water was coming in through there as a steady stream(as low as you can turn a sink faucet on) weather the guys were on the back or not, but he wasn't sure that that was where the water was coming into the boat - but that's where it was coming into the engine compartment. Anyways, they're going to seal it tomorrow, put it in the tank on Friday and if it's still leaking I'll have to take it to the local Yamaha dealer, as they may have to take the engines out to get to whatever it is. Hopefully not, they were dreadfully slow last time I needed service and I can't imagine they can troubleshoot this any quicker.

90 and 95 degree weather this weekend, so here's to hoping...

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
interesting @Belteddeep. I have heard of this before but it's not common. Hopefully they will get it corrected and have you back on the water soon. Good you discovered it though.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Belteddeep Hopefully they can just remove the rub rail and seal it from the outside and then reinstall the rub rail.