• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ordering Information

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Before you buy flares every year for the rest of your life check out this SOS Distress Light.

View attachment 73447
Pyrotechnics have expiration dates and need to be disposed of properly. This new electronic flare is an acceptable CG alternative, and won't light your boat on fire.
If your on inland waters with minimal night time operation, you may want to reconsider. I currently carry this electronic flare on my own boat inland boat. I only use other flares for offshore boating.

Regarding "options" - while Yamaha offers the option of painted vs galvanized trailers, most of the boats are ordered by the dealer for stock. Inland, predominantly fresh water area dealers rarely order galvanized as their customer base don't want to pay the extra $, so it may be hard to get unless your near salt water.
Some dealers are much more accommodating than others. These boats are priced well when compared to other boats of similar size, and the dealers know it, so some don't go out of their way to help get you what you want.

Make a few calls to dealers within a reasonable range, and hopefully you will find one that will be little more helpful

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Pyrotechnics have expiration dates and need to be disposed of properly. This new electronic flare is an acceptable CG alternative, and won't light your boat on fire. If your on inland waters with minimal night time operation, you may want to reconsider. I currently carry this electronic flare on my own boat inland boat. I only use other flares for offshore boating.

Some dealers are much more accommodating than others.
I was not denigrating the electronic "flare"; my point was that when it comes to emergency items my normative approach is tertiary redundancy. (Expired does not mean unusable; our regulatory schema is much less burdensome. For example, I have had neighbors that had and used their own very real artillery. One man's expired meteor flares are another man's Independence Day fireworks :winkingthumbsup")

I think that dealers reflect the economic environment of their locale; nothing wrong with that at all. I just need to carefully examine where to buy.

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I will warn you, take a print out of the MSRP with you.
At our local boat show this year I sent a snap of the msrp's posted for the local Yamaha dealer as they were offering "3k off msrp"
Turns out they'd inflated msrp substantially... (then added freight etc on top of that.) It got caught by a buddy on here who I sent the snap to.
Looking back it appears that the "show price only" was 1k more than msrp for a SX240.
I wanted to revist your counsel here. I have examined the "see dealer cost" site, and it only has 2107 pricing (at least that I have been able to find).

When we eventually push the "buy a boat" button, we will be shopping for a 2019 242 L S E. At that moment in time, how would I go about obtaining invoice pricing?

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Gray - I hope my post wasn't taken as offensive - if so it was not intensional! Allow me to add some perspective to my comments. I spent 6 years in the Coast Guard. During that time, we saw some bad situations turn into disasters by flares. Flares can and have saved lives - no question, but they can burn people and cause fires too. This electronic flare has only recently been recognized as a suitable signal device to fulfill signally requirements. I see these as a great improvement for appropriate conditions. No question it is not always the answer. These are just some things to consider as you set up your boat your way.

If you do get flares, some organizations like the Power Squadron have annual " burn your expired flares" day. They notify local authorities so there are no false alarms, and then you get practice time with the flares.

What ever you decide, have fun!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
  • Adding second disc brakes and Titan EoH.
If you see me making any egregious errors please feel free to speak up.
More just me being curious on why you would prefer electronic over hydraulic brakes instead of the surge system that comes on the trailer? You will have to replace the entire front fold-able section of the trailer with a non surge tongue to eliminate the surge brake and only vechicles equipped with a brake controller could tow your boat. These surge systems on the boat trailer are well built and I have not had an issue with 2 different boats and trailers now. I will say that I do not like the feel of the surge brake when taking off and stopping and this may be your reason. I have looked at different EoH systems and I just couldn't justify the cost.

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
More just me being curious on why you would prefer electronic over hydraulic brakes instead of the surge system that comes on the trailer? You will have to replace the entire front fold-able section of the trailer with a non surge tongue to eliminate the surge brake and only vehicles equipped with a brake controller could tow your boat. These surge systems on the boat trailer are well built and I have not had an issue with 2 different boats and trailers now. I will say that I do not like the feel of the surge brake when taking off and stopping and this may be your reason. I have looked at different EoH systems and I just couldn't justify the cost.
I currently have a 17,000lb RV with EoH disc brakes (Titan) that I am very impressed with. There is zero practical lag time (30 ms) between brake activation and application. Disc brakes on all wheels is non-negotiable for me. If the dealer cannot provide those, I will contract the job with a disc brake installer such as Performance Trailer Braking.

The folding tongue is something I really did not want to begin with and will eliminate if it comes so equipped. (I also plan on using a anti-sway WDH.)

My truck (F350 6.7 DRW 4x4) has an internal OEM brake controller that works very well with EoH disc brakes. No one else will be pulling my boat/trailer. (I carry sufficient insurance to flatbed it if disabled on the road.)

The cost of a Titan actuator ($600 - $700), which is the largest expense, is negligible to me. (After all, some people spend much more money on non-safety related items such as sound systems.)

Chuds

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Gray I have just been through a long wait to finally touch my new boat (still haven't picked it up yet as the weather here is only just starting to cooperate) but one thing with regards to price this year and "getting a deal" concerned is I have been told Yamaha is having serious issues this year building enough engines due to some metal shortage?. I am not sure how much validity there is to this as I have not spoken to Yamaha personally but I can say that up here (Canada) dealer stock is scarce and I have phoned around to other dealers who have confirmed that their orders were drastically reduced. I too used the dealer price tool on the internet to score what I think is a pretty great deal back in December when my dealer thought he was getting 6 212x's but I would imagine that even getting out the door at MSRP going forward might be tough if there is truly a supply issue from Yamaha as dealers will only have a limited number of boats allocated to them and they will be looking to maximize their profit on them as volume is likely not an option for them if the supply is down (my dealer was cut back to 2 total maybe 4 if they are lucky but they do not expect to see 4). Again I could be way off base and this might only be a Canada supply issue but just putting it out there, good luck in your journey to a new boat :winkingthumbsup"

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Gray I have just been through a long wait to finally touch my new boat (still haven't picked it up yet as the weather here is only just starting to cooperate) but one thing with regards to price this year and "getting a deal" concerned is I have been told Yamaha is having serious issues this year building enough engines due to some metal shortage?. I am not sure how much validity there is to this as I have not spoken to Yamaha personally but I can say that up here (Canada) dealer stock is scarce and I have phoned around to other dealers who have confirmed that their orders were drastically reduced. I too used the dealer price tool on the internet to score what I think is a pretty great deal back in December when my dealer thought he was getting 6 212x's but I would imagine that even getting out the door at MSRP going forward might be tough if there is truly a supply issue from Yamaha as dealers will only have a limited number of boats allocated to them and they will be looking to maximize their profit on them as volume is likely not an option for them if the supply is down (my dealer was cut back to 2 total maybe 4 if they are lucky but they do not expect to see 4). Again I could be way off base and this might only be a Canada supply issue but just putting it out there, good luck in your journey to a new boat :winkingthumbsup"
So are your lakes ice free for at least 2 weeks in the "Great White Up"?:smuggrin: Did you have to order the special "Slush Jet Option"?;)

I have already been in contact with a dealer and primed the pump for ordering one.

I do not want to pay more that I should or have to, but I expect, with a booming economy, the demand for recreational equipment (RV's Boats, etc) will continue through the roof. Elkhart Indiana is ground zero for RV's in the U.S. They have, for all practical purposes, zero unemployment and unskilled assemblers are earning 6 figures (U.S. dollars...not those maple syrup scented ones:) ) due to the demand for RV's.

What people do with discretionary/recreational money is a leading indicator of what an economy "thinks". With current demand in view, people are very optimistic.

It is a sellers market.

Enjoy your new toy. Don't forget the windshield scraper!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I currently have a 17,000lb RV with EoH disc brakes (Titan) that I am very impressed with. There is zero practical lag time (30 ms) between brake activation and application. Disc brakes on all wheels is non-negotiable for me. If the dealer cannot provide those, I will contract the job with a disc brake installer such as Performance Trailer Braking.

The folding tongue is something I really did not want to begin with and will eliminate if it comes so equipped. (I also plan on using a anti-sway WDH.)

My truck (F350 6.7 DRW 4x4) has an internal OEM brake controller that works very well with EoH disc brakes. No one else will be pulling my boat/trailer. (I carry sufficient insurance to flatbed it if disabled on the road.)

The cost of a Titan actuator ($600 - $700), which is the largest expense, is negligible to me. (After all, some people spend much more money on non-safety related items such as sound systems.)

I hear you on the EoH subject. In your comments you brought up something else. You said you were going to use a weight distribution hitch with anti sway. WAY over kill and with a drw truck shouldn't even be an issue. If there is an issue something is massively loaded wrong. I had a wdh on my last bumper pull camper which it needed because it had some good tounge weight too it and the axles were set farther towards the center. With the axles more toward the rear of the boat it negates sway. You know all of this I am sure. You sound like a very smart and safe individual. Tounge weights on our boats shouldn't even budge your truck.

On the camper aspect we actually just upgraded!

20180419_180838.jpg

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
WAY over kill...

On the camper aspect we actually just upgraded!

View attachment 73597
One of the things that I like about overkill: It always kills.

The WDH would not be "needed" for weight issues. I will still use it as anti-sway prevention system for a few reasons.
  • Traveling across our part of the country ("The Free States" [flag]) we enjoy 80 mph speed limits. (I will be upgrading to the largest combination of LT tires and wheels that will deconflict with the available clearances.)
  • I also will be double-towing (also called triple towing) behind the RV at times.

Here is our rig:

IMG_0846.JPG

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Since I am still (and will be for quite a while) in the steep portion of the boat learning curve, how does the 242 L S E compare to something like the Chaparral 243 VRX?

Oh, never mind, I found the excellent comparison post.

Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Gray You could pull a whole fleet of Yamaha's with that truck.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Gray as far as finding dealer cost I'm not sure how much that will really help. As far as I can tell very few people if any at all ever get a deal on a Yamaha boat price. You pay MSRP and if you have a good dealer you can get them to include extras. Even then I think it's dependent on the dealer inventory, what they have in stock, if you're financing through them etc etc.