• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ordering Information

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For my second independent thread on this forum (and thank you to everyone who read and/or responded on the last one), I have some questions regarding ordering a 242 Limited S E (probably a 2019).

I called a dealer today, not our closest but in-state, to inquire if I could obtain a full option list for the above model.

His first response was "well, it is going to difficult for you to find one, we have already sold all of ours for this season". (I know that difficult is a relative term; the first 3 pages of google has quite a few available.)

His second response was "Yamahas are cookie cutter boats; in that model your only choice is one of 2 colors." I replied (and I was working very hard to avoid being argumentative) that I know that at least one option, a painted or a galvanized trailer is available. He replied "Well other than that, there are no others, and when we order we get what comes on them."

He was not rude, but he was not very solicitous either.

I have read the FAQ's on this site, and have used the "see dealer cost" link. It shows an array of options for the 242 L S E. (For example: "Cover, Deluxe, Premium Tower Mooring, $845 MSRP/$761 Invoice)

Are these fictitious options, are they Yamaha options that dealers might or might not be aware of, or are they just generic options.

I prefer an ordering process for purchase to attempt to have it equipped as I want it out the door. I am not a boat DIY guy; my skill sets are in other areas.

I would appreciate any knowledge that you can throw my way on this.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yeah the dealer you spoke with is correct. There are two color packages for each model, period. The options change with the model package you select so there are no custom orders from the factory that I've ever heard of.
You can pay extra about $390 for a galvanized trailer and the covers you mention are in addition to or if you're lucky they might through one in. And you can expect to pay full MSRP too.
I've heard of someone that the dealer change out towers, and stereo mod's, but at additional costs and not from the factory.
Hope this helps, you certainly weren't steered wrong by the person you spoke with.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
he was right. These boats are really cookie cutter boats. Hull color and trailer are the only real options. All the other stuff is dealer added items, covers, upgraded speakers, trailer brakes. Most dealers wont budge on price but you can negotiate a lot of the extras thrown in for free. This is really the worst time to buy a boat. Spring is when the rush is on and they wont deal a lot now. Boat shows are the best and fall time up north. Dealers dont want to pay finance charges on boats sitting on the lot all winter and the show will offer specials direct from yamaha sometimes. I got the 5 year extended warranty at the show in my area plus the premium cover from yamaha. Most dealers order their boats in the fall and they arrive around now so a lot of the boats on the lots are already spoken for. You really have to pick from what they have there. Bigger dealers will usually be better to deal with as they have more to move where the small dealer only has a few and wont budge because it may be a while before he gets more in. Thats where a lot of people get taken in by other brands, You can buy this 24' boat for only $30k!!, + trailer, wheels, engines, filler cushions, tower, stereo, seats, etc etc etc, now its $80k. Yamaha really includes almost everything in the one price. Dealers should give you lines, bumpers, life vest, flares and all the other basics to get you started with the boat.

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
And you can expect to pay full MSRP too.
Our initial plans were to order a 2019 when that year/model is released. (Fall?) Will we still be at MSRP for that process and time of year?

Boat shows are the best and fall time up north...Bigger dealers will usually be better to deal with as they have more to move where the small dealer only has a few and wont budge because it may be a while before he gets more in.
Unfortunately, we do not live in a location where there is more than one dealer; bigger dealers not at all. Boat shows (of any size) will also require us to travel.

Do you (or anyone reading) happen to know where the larger boats show and "bigger" dealers are located. Also, when you buy at a boat show, are you buying the displayed model, or are they taking orders?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boat shows will take orders in the winter for spring delivery. I know my dealer G&R marine in CT is one of the biggest. He also now carries scarab jets.

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
All the other stuff is dealer added items...trailer brakes.
What are you referring to regarding the brakes? Disc brakes are standard, what would the option be (E over H?)?

Thank you.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The brakes are standard for one axle unless your state requires them on both. Then the dealer may throw in the 2nd set of brakes but I don't know if they are required to include the 2nd set for free I had to pay for the 2nd axle brakes.

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The brakes are standard for one axle unless your state requires them on both. Then the dealer may throw in the 2nd set of brakes but I don't know if they are required to include the 2nd set for free I had to pay for the 2nd axle brakes.
Excellent, very good to know. It is this type of arcane information that is run of the mill to owners but unknown to buyers.

Thank you.

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will warn you, take a print out of the MSRP with you.
At our local boat show this year I sent a snap of the msrp's posted for the local Yamaha dealer as they were offering "3k off msrp"
Turns out they'd inflated msrp substantially... (then added freight etc on top of that.) It got caught by a buddy on here who I sent the snap to.
Looking back it appears that the "show price only" was 1k more than msrp for a SX240.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Rod5 is correct, Manufacturer options are:
  1. Color
  2. Trailer type (galvanized or painted)
Beyond that everything is dealer specific, but usually they offer for you to buy Yamaha Accessories that are offered by the manufacturer. Dealers will discuss the following (not all dealers offer all of these):
  1. Dealer prep (unpacking the boat off the trailer, adding battery(s), some assembly, testing the boat)-this is unavoidable as boats come with no batteries (unlike cars) because they sometimes sit for a long time never being touched. The more complicated the boat, the more the dealer prep costs (my 242X was $1200 and that included 2 batteries, assembly of the tower and bimini, testing the whole boat-including ballast systems and stereo-and they found issues with the stereo during this process)
  2. Yamaha mooring cover. Bow cover, cockpit cover.
  3. Steering fins (JBP or Cobra)
  4. Seaworthiness kit (anchor, life jackets, ropes, fire extinguisher etc)
  5. Some dealers offer different towers or t-tops (for FSH)
  6. Board racks
  7. Stereo upgrades
  8. Lighting upgrades (underwater and/or interior)
  9. Toys - tubes/skis/squirt guns, tow ropes, basketball hoops
  10. Flooring kits (seadek upgrades)
  11. Wake Surf upgrades - ballast/gates
  12. Registration letters/boat names
  13. GPS and Radio additions
  14. Fume Detectors, bilge alarms and other engine bay upgrades like water separators.
  15. 2nd axle trailer brakes (required by some states)
I'm sure there are some things I've missed, but that is a decent list of things you could have the dealer add.

Last edited:

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Julian,

Thank you for the suggestions; I removed some of those that we do not desire.

We do intend to have the dealer add the following:

• Cobra (Magnum AK & Fangs).
  • Yamaha mooring/travel cover.
  • Anchor, lines/ropes, 1 each B-II extinguisher, and 1 each 2 B "Clean" (Halotron) extinguisher. (We will be providing our own PFD's and life jackets)
  • Additional dimmable interior LED lighting.
  • The 242 L S E is already equipped with Seadek, as far as I know.
  • We will be supplying our own one-piece Boat Registration Numbers.
  • Adding the ICOM IC-M424G and Hailer (Internal GPS, also DSC capable.) Also considering the Raymarine Quantum 2 Wifi Radar and Axiom 9" MFD. (On occasion we will be on a seaport connected river.)
  • Fume Alarms (engine and fuel tank compartment), Bilge alarm.
  • Additional bilge pump (connected with switching at helm).
  • Adding second disc brakes and Titan EoH.
If you see me making any egregious errors please feel free to speak up.

Last edited:

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I will warn you, take a print out of the MSRP with you.
At our local boat show this year I sent a snap of the msrp's posted for the local Yamaha dealer as they were offering "3k off msrp"
Turns out they'd inflated msrp substantially... (then added freight etc on top of that.) It got caught by a buddy on here who I sent the snap to.
Looking back it appears that the "show price only" was 1k more than msrp for a SX240.
Thank you for the useful advice!

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You might want to try and get the 10 hr oil change included. I didn't know it was so quick or I would have had them throw it in since I bought it in December and they probably would have done it to make the deal.

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You might want to try and get the 10 hr oil change included. I didn't know it was so quick or I would have had them throw it in since I bought it in December and they probably would have done it to make the deal.
Added to my list! Thanx

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Julian,

Thank you for the suggestions; I removed some of those that we do not desire.

We do intend to have the dealer add the following:

• Cobra (Magnum AK & Fangs).
  • Yamaha mooring/travel cover.
  • Anchor, lines/ropes, 1 each B-II extinguisher, and 1 each 2 B "Clean" (Halotron) extinguisher. (We will be providing our own PFD's and life jackets)
  • Additional dimmable interior LED lighting.
  • The 242 L S E is already equipped with Seadek, as far as I know.
  • We will be supplying our own one-piece Boat Registration Numbers.
  • Adding the ICOM IC-M424G and Hailer (Internal GPS, also DSC capable.) Also considering the Raymarine Quantum 2 Wifi Radar and Axiom 9" MFD. (On occasion we will be on a seaport connected river.)
  • Fume Alarms (engine and fuel tank compartment), Bilge alarm.
  • Additional bilge pump (connected with switching at helm).
  • Adding second disc brakes and Titan EoH.
If you see me making any egregious errors please feel free to speak up.
The only thing I see you are missing is
  • Bumpers
  • Flares
  • Throw-able life preserver
  • Assume you will get a marine antenna with that radio....and a mount to get it up high
  • Beer

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The only thing I see you are missing is
  • Bumpers
  • Flares
  • Throw-able life preserver
  • Assume you will get a marine antenna with that radio....and a mount to get it up high
  • Beer
Still researching bumpers.

The Distress Kit will include these:

https://www.amazon.com/MARCHWAY-Floating-Waterproof-Kayaking-Swimming/dp/B071H948C7/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525299239&sr=8-3&keywords=waterproof+kayak+bag&th=1&psc=1

This for the antenna:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QZ7Z4W/?coliid=I3FL9H3K84HDIW&colid=E4TTTZQ0B67T&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This for the throwable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DMCC230/?coliid=I1FEC7GGV5KA88&colid=E4TTTZQ0B67T&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

And for beer, I am a Single-Malt man:

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Before you buy flares every year for the rest of your life check out this SOS Distress Light.
My SOP is redundancy, so yes I think that strobes have value. I already have several SDU-5/E military "Light, Marker, Distress" strobes, for both attachment to pdf's and also for stationary signalling. (The pdf's also have glowsticks attached.)

I plan upon an overlapping utility of meteors, smoke, dye-markers, streamers and strobes. We do not plan any off-shore activities; nonetheless, preparedness is a mental discipline that often operates in a preventative fashion.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I keep my old "expired" flares and have some pencil flares from days gone by, but this satisfies the CG. [flag][flag][flag][flag][flag]