• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Outboard motor bogs down at low speed

shaddad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Outboard motor bogs down at low speed (2,000 to 2,500rpm). Picks back up when I squeeze the bulb. Occasionally does it at high speed (5,500rpm). Only happens later in the day when the weather is hot (Florida), not early in the day and never in Pennsylvania. Motor is an Evinrude 40hp E-tec jet. What I have done to try to fix it: 1) Replaced fuel line hose from tank to fuel filter, 2) Replaced squeeze bulb, 3) replaced connecter between fuel line and tank, 4) Tightened all hose clamps on fuel lines (that I could reach), 5) Inspected and cleaned pick-ups on both 3 gal. and 6 gal. fuel tanks (happens with both tanks). My next step is to service the fuel pump (bought kit). Anyone have any ideas on what is causing this?

You seem to be on the right track. Understanding that the bulb is just there to prime the line. Once primed, it's up to the fuel pump to maintain pressure.

Since you replaced all those items, moving on to the fuel pump makes complete sense. A fuel pressure gauge could be used, if you know the spec that it is supposed to be at. I do think you have it narrowed down to a fuel issue. It doesn't sound like spark. Worst case, a BRP service center. The ETECs are pretty common, so it should not be hard to find a good one.

Back