• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Oxidizing Hull problem

danielcasey01

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi Everyone--
I have a 2008 SX 230 and really love this boat. It is red and white and the red portion of the hull is significantly oxidized. Have tried everything to bring back the luster but nothing seems to work. Was thinking about maybe painting the red section as was curious if anyone has done this and what your experience was.
Thanks in advance,
Dan

Yes, I have tried the wet sanding and it only marginally improves. Lots of effort for almost no result.

Ok, pictures please. Mine was orange.
Do you still have graphics on the hull?
Pictures help us see how bad the oxidation is and which path to take.

Last edited:
If wet sanding only "marginally improves" the results, you'll have to describe your process, laying out the tools used, and steps you followed.

It sounds like either something was skipped, or missed, as I can take my shiny boat down to duller than dull, and back again, but if I forget to run through the compounds, or skip one of the grits in the series of sandpaper, it takes forever to correct, or produces less than stellar results.

My experience, and @zipper's experience, as shown with pics, and the multitude of others' success, prove the process works to restore the finish.

There's NOT an easy fix. It took years to get to where it is now, there's no magic bullet to reverse the condition. Even a cleaner wax that may give slightly better results is going to require effort and time to work properly, so laying out exactly what you do may help us see if you are missing something.

That single pic - before? After? Any "during" pics? Kinda hard to offer ideas without info or knowing what's going on

This guy seems really good, Drakes Detailing, and the way this red boat comes out in the end is amazing. I put a deep scratch in my hull and followed one of his videos, sanded it out, compounded and polished it. Looks like new. No one would ever know it was there.

This guy seems really good, Drakes Detailing, and the way this red boat comes out in the end is amazing. I put a deep scratch in my hull and followed one of his videos, sanded it out, compounded and polished it. Looks like new. No one would ever know it was there.
I second this. I would not have had the confidence to tackle my boat without Drake’s videos. Great teacher showing the full process that he goes through.

Thanks for the pic. Hard to see what is going on in that picture, but it looks restorable with the right products and tools and time. Painting the topside requires a lot of prep work, removing the oxidation, before application. And then touch ups as needed. My oxidation was not as bad as yours appears now.

Removed graphics and wet sanded with 1000/1500/2000 then polished in 2017

20170415_144558.jpg

20170430_102323.jpg

20220510_182154.jpg

Our 2007 hull in 2021 after polishing/maintenance. I can see the reflection of the wheelbarrow in the horse barn.

20210724_175234.jpg

And a 1991 hull in 2022, I know white but the oxidation on this hull was terrible. The process is the same.

IMG_0725_exported_stabilized_2481111917254323368.gif

Last edited:
Back