• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Polishing/waxing

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am hoping to get some insight on how many of you go about your yearly waxing. The last 2 years I have paid a marine detailer to perform this work for me. After a poor experience last year, I asked myself why I was not just taking on this miserable task myself. I intend to purchase a buffer this week, and weather permitting, wax the boat myself this weekend. What machine are most guys purchasing? The way I understand it, a DA is more forgiving in terms of burning/swirl marks, so that is a good choice for the novice. A novice I am, but I understand that a true buffer gives better results and I don't want to buy a second tool once I get some experience. Second, with my boat being waxed once a year, as well as hot sauce after nearly every use, it has great shine even after the winter storage. Therefore, is just a coat or two of quality wax all that is needed, or is a compound first, followed by a wax the proper way? Third, are you guys waxing every fiberglass surface inside the boat? How about the deck? Mostly by hand on the interior or still using the tool? Lastly, is there any tricks to removing the wax from all the cracks in molding (and everywhere else it likes to hide in)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your routine/thoughts!

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the Griot's Garage 10813LNGCRD 6" Random Orbital Polisher with 25' Cord. I'm pleased with it. It isn't too heavy, the orbital action helps to keep from "burning' through at spots during polishing, and the 25' cord is very handy too.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use a Griots pneumatic 6" random orbital. It works great.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

CAM212SS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
i second the meguiars da
50.00 or so $$ at walmart... leaves a beautiful mirror finish

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bought this one a week or so ago. Haven't used it yet, but the guys on the other board said it worked well. Use a 25% off coupon, it makes a great deal.
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-variable-speed-dual-action-polisher-69924.html
I bought this one last year and have good results. Slow and steady is the best pace. I wash and wax her twice a year but I also keep her in a slip. I only wax her with coat of high quality wax. I avoid getting near anything that isn't fiberglass when using the polisher and do those areas by hand. It is a little bit of work but when I am done it is beautiful. I also like to do this to find out everything that may be have been damaged during the season. slight scratches etc. I may use a polishing or rubbing compound first to keep her looking good.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also have the Griot's Garage with the 25 ft. cord. Buy once cry once!

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Dang I just use some rejex and elbow grease. Y'all are full up!

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm with Jawsf16, y'all are making me feel like I'm not good enough, haha. I waxed mine by hand three times last season. At least once inside. Bought a small dust brush in the automotive section at Walmat that has a rubber tip made for removing the wax in creases.

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow, thanks for all the great info!

It looks like a DA is the tool of choice. I think I will go that route as well. Along with my boat, I also need to compound and wax my RV and put a coat of wax on mine and the wife's rig. I have had bad luck with harbor Freight tools lasting for me so I think I will go with something a little more robust .

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is the same one that Jdonalds recommended above. That does look like a good unit. I found some good reviews as well.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That is the same one that Jdonalds recommended above. That does look like a good unit. I found some good reviews as well.
It's actually a little different. Same motor and everything except it is called the HD model. They said on their website that they made the unit a little more ergonomical/comfortable to hold.

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for pointing that out, I missed it. That sounds a like it might be right up my alley. I tend to be rough on stuff, and when it comes to tools, I prefer to spend the money on something good and have it for a long time.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like the OP has several good choices.

I tried doing the boat by hand but with the angle of the hull, and the surface area to be serviced it was just too much.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Am I the only one that waxes the boat after every use? I wash, wax by hand, vacuum interior, wipe interior with hot sauce and vinyl sauce (wax the interior twice a year)

Micro Fiber Towel, Boat Bling "Pro Sauce" and elbow grease.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Am I the only one that waxes the boat after every use? I wash, wax by hand, vacuum interior, wipe interior with hot sauce and vinyl sauce (wax the interior twice a year)

Micro Fiber Towel, Boat Bling "Pro Sauce" and elbow grease.
You have a lot more energy than I do.