• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possible new tow vehicle.......Lets hear thoughts from the gallery.......

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@BlkGS @Troch1

The problem isn't really the selection with 21in, it's this particular 21in. There are like 5 options in 285/40/21, but like 20 in the 275 or 295 range. Audi, in their quest for engineering perfection chose the EXACT right tire, and never considered availability. That wasn't on the acceptance criteria. Much like they hold the coolant pipe to the head on my 2.0T with (4) different screws. I'm certain each one was selected for the EXACT right reason, and they never considered just making them all the same so it's easy to work on.

I'm moving to a 295 to get the Conti's. I've ran the DWS 06 on several other vehicles and had great luck with them. These are the largest set I've bought, but not the first.
That's like the tbss. Oem size isn't uncommon, but they're not a lot of sporty options and typically expensive. 275 45 20 on the other hand, tons of great performance options. Not that anyone would mount them for me because they're slightly too wide for the oem wheels.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's like the tbss. Oem size isn't uncommon, but they're not a lot of sporty options and typically expensive. 275 45 20 on the other hand, tons of great performance options. Not that anyone would mount them for me because they're slightly too wide for the oem wheels.
I ran that same size on my SS. Never had any issues finding a place to mount/work on them.

same with the Q7. Called my local place and verified, and the guy basically told me +/- 30mm on width and they don't really care. Unless it's absurdly wrong they'll let you run whatever you want.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I ran that same size on my SS. Never had any issues finding a place to mount/work on them.

same with the Q7. Called my local place and verified, and the guy basically told me +/- 30mm on width and they don't really care. Unless it's absurdly wrong they'll let you run whatever you want.
All the places I called said they wouldn't because of liability. I ended up getting pirelli at Sam's club on sale with an instant rebate and free install and it was cheaper all in than going with a Hankook or similar tire.

I'm fairly confident back in NC my guys would have done it no questions asked. Here in FL the shops acted like I was the cops or trying to sue them for doing something unsafe.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New tires are on. Tire shop gave ZERO craps about the non-standard size, or that the specs of the tire call for a 10-11in wide wheel and I only have a 9.5in wide wheel. Ride is a little smoother, turn in feel is reduced slightly, balance is spot on as best I can tell. Running a slightly lower (35 instead of 40 previously) pressure so that might be part of it. Part of it might be the increased sidewall. Tires look nice and full, not overly large, but not rubber bands eithers.

Got into an arguing match with a guy on AudiWorld. Imagine that right?!?! I'll be sure to update here is the tire fails unexpectedly because I put a tire on a wheel outside of manufacturers recommendations.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
New tires are on. Tire shop gave ZERO craps about the non-standard size, or that the specs of the tire call for a 10-11in wide wheel and I only have a 9.5in wide wheel. Ride is a little smoother, turn in feel is reduced slightly, balance is spot on as best I can tell. Running a slightly lower (35 instead of 40 previously) pressure so that might be part of it. Part of it might be the increased sidewall. Tires look nice and full, not overly large, but not rubber bands eithers.

Got into an arguing match with a guy on AudiWorld. Imagine that right?!?! I'll be sure to update here is the tire fails unexpectedly because I put a tire on a wheel outside of manufacturers recommendations.
Tell me he pulled the "SO YOU KNOW BETTER THAN GERMAN ENGINEERS" card, like there's a guy with a wall of different size and width wheels and tires from different brands that selects the absolute finest combo, lol.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tell me he pulled the "SO YOU KNOW BETTER THAN GERMAN ENGINEERS" card, like there's a guy with a wall of different size and width wheels and tires from different brands that selects the absolute finest combo, lol.
One better, he took a play from my book...."I'm a tire engineer with 30yrs experience, and you came on here looking for advice, I'm just trying to help somebody out here".

I fought back with high levels of snark. We'll see how it plays out.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One better, he took a play from my book...."I'm a tire engineer with 30yrs experience, and you came on here looking for advice, I'm just trying to help somebody out here".

I fought back with high levels of snark. We'll see how it plays out.
It’s <1/2” difference in width or <1/4” difference in stick out on each side of the rim. A real engineer would probably not freak out about that. While it is an Audi, it’s not an F1 car.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s <1/2” difference in width or <1/4” difference in stick out on each side of the rim. A real engineer would probably not freak out about that. While it is an Audi, it’s not an F1 car.
Agreed.

They (Audi) publish a 3/32 tread depth difference tolerance between any 2 tires, and I generally believe that based on both the high def ABS sensors, and the Torsen style center diff. However, with all 4 tires being the same, there's such a tiny difference (3%ish) in width and overall geometry a real engineer would agree, it's actually no big deal.

Guy at the tire store that's been there 15 years agreed as well. I give zero craps what the math says, when a guy gives me experience based feedback that anything +/30mm will work just fine and not pose major issues. Real world testing trump's theory every day of the week!

Final nail in the coffin of the subject for me was several threads where you can find actual users of this make/model/size of tire, on the same make/model/size of wheels with many miles of sustained success.

I ultimately gave up arguing. I'm doing that more and more these days it seems. Rather not let those guys live in my head rent free.

In other thoughts......expensive ass brakes parts finally showed up. Guess who's doing some maintenance this father's day?!?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In an audi, yeah I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it was going into a trackhawk, or a corvette, or an m5, or some sort of actual sports vehicle, I'd care a bit more. You're not gonna generate g forces to unseat a bead in a q7 or something like that, lol.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I saw a Rivian truck drove down the beach yesterday. Reminded me a lot of the Honda truck. Wasn’t too impressed but only saw it for a few seconds. Bed was down and was transporting materials.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I saw a Rivian truck drove down the beach yesterday. Reminded me a lot of the Honda truck. Wasn’t too impressed but only saw it for a few seconds. Bed was down and was transporting materials.
They're starting to build em quicker and quicker. Most of the "I just got mine" reviews are very positive, many former Tesla owners with good real world comparisons. I've seen one delivered as fast as a month now, so that's some good news.

@BlkGS have you seen the Jurassic World/Jeep commercial? I'm 99% certain I saw the 4XE plug on the front quarter panel of a Grand Cherokee. I'll dig it up if I can.

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agreed.

They (Audi) publish a 3/32 tread depth difference tolerance between any 2 tires, and I generally believe that based on both the high def ABS sensors, and the Torsen style center diff. However, with all 4 tires being the same, there's such a tiny difference (3%ish) in width and overall geometry a real engineer would agree, it's actually no big deal.

Guy at the tire store that's been there 15 years agreed as well. I give zero craps what the math says, when a guy gives me experience based feedback that anything +/30mm will work just fine and not pose major issues. Real world testing trump's theory every day of the week!

Final nail in the coffin of the subject for me was several threads where you can find actual users of this make/model/size of tire, on the same make/model/size of wheels with many miles of sustained success.

I ultimately gave up arguing. I'm doing that more and more these days it seems. Rather not let those guys live in my head rent free.

In other thoughts......expensive ass brakes parts finally showed up. Guess who's doing some maintenance this father's day?!?
Audi dummied the 3/32" down for folks - if they really cared they would talk about tire circumference! Inflated tire pressure have more to do with circumference than anything else!

On our race tires we set them to starting pressure and measure the circumference to all of them. Then we take the smaller circumference tires and over inflate them by 10 PSI and set them in the sun for a few hours, then drop them back down to the starting pressure again and measure them again...they grow in size! Whooda thunk? We do this until we get four matched tires are our starting pressure.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
They're starting to build em quicker and quicker. Most of the "I just got mine" reviews are very positive, many former Tesla owners with good real world comparisons. I've seen one delivered as fast as a month now, so that's some good news.

@BlkGS have you seen the Jurassic World/Jeep commercial? I'm 99% certain I saw the 4XE plug on the front quarter panel of a Grand Cherokee. I'll dig it up if I can.
the 4xE GC is real but I read over on the 4xe forums they stopped production completely on them.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
the 4xE GC is real but I read over on the 4xe forums they stopped production completely on them.
Honestly, the 4xe, while not being a high performer, is the right way to do a vehicle like this.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Nope, haven't seen it. I don't watch much TV anymore.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Audi dummied the 3/32" down for folks - if they really cared they would talk about tire circumference! Inflated tire pressure have more to do with circumference than anything else!

On our race tires we set them to starting pressure and measure the circumference to all of them. Then we take the smaller circumference tires and over inflate them by 10 PSI and set them in the sun for a few hours, then drop them back down to the starting pressure again and measure them again...they grow in size! Whooda thunk? We do this until we get four matched tires are our starting pressure.
I think it's an appropriate way to spec the difference. Most people don't know how to or care to measure circumference, while most tire shop guys carry a tread depth gauge in thier pocket.

It's a linear relationship anyway, you just get less resolution on diameter than circumference (3.14159x less resolution).

Torque splits and driving force will all work off radius numbers, but that's hard to measure.

Circumference is the most accurate, and for a race application, probably the best bet.