• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possible new tow vehicle.......Lets hear thoughts from the gallery.......

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Replacement parts like this remind me to buy American, lol.
I suppose. Not any American SUVs I'm aware of with brakes with more powerful than the latest Corvette!

Pick your poison. Parts availability or performance.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I suppose. Not any American SUVs I'm aware of with brakes with more powerful than the latest Corvette!

Pick your poison. Parts availability or performance.

*cough*

Anyways, there's a LOT more to brakes than rotor diameter and number of pistons. Heck, most of your stopping power comes from the pad material anyways, so even something like the 2 piston sliding calipers with aggressive pads in my tbss or c4 can generate more friction than a 6 piston monoblock with ceramics. They'd probably resist heat fade better too, just by virtue of pad choice.

There's actually a kit for the tbss for 6 piston monoblocks and bigger rotors, for like 1800 per axle. It doesn't add a ton of extra rotor thickness so it fits under stock wheels. I want to do it... But can't justify it. It's almost cheaper to do a 5 lug swap and do gmt800 or other oem brembo brake swap.

For what it's worth, the tbss with its shit stock tires, 2 piston sliders, etc stops from 60 in like 130 feet. Your q7 does it in just under 120ft. A town n go Durango rt would be like 115ft or less (srt is 115 and tow n go is lighter than that) I suspect with decent pads and tires, that gap narrows pretty quick. That said, the tbss probably does it once, because the rotors are so thin it likely would heat soak without really good choice in pads, lol. But yeah, the q7 brakes are very good. No doubt about that. I really want to drive an sq7, I just don't know that I can get over thsbtupid lcd screen for hvac.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well......I abandoned the idea of getting a new truck a few weeks ago. It came back HARD the last few days though.

Turning left across two lanes on a busy metro street. Audi "pre-sense" misfired and stopped me 1/2 in the oncoming lane. I panic'd because I knew I could make it, but the electronics in the car obviously thought different. I stood on the brakes. Car had to swerve around me into second lane, which pushed a pickup truck up onto the curb/sidewalk/greenspace. Nobody hurt and no damage to any cars. I stopped and checked with the guy in the truck. He was pissed, but got over it once he realized I wasn't an idiot driver and didn't do it on purpose. He thought I was gonna make it as well and subsequently didn't slow down, adding to the chaos. First time a misfire has caused an issue at this level. I think it's the 3rd time in a little over a year of ownership it's done it.

THEN......

Coming into work, in the rain, yesterday morning. Low Tire Pressure alert goes off while I'm lanes deep in stop and go traffic on the bridge between IN/KY. I "limp" my way to the nearest exist to check the tires. I get out, all (4) were still at the same 42psi I set them at last week. I get back in, clear the error and reset the TPMS system. Off I go. Same error again in 2 miles. I stop and check again. No issues, reset and drive away. Hasn't come back since. Audi uses the ABS sensors to detect low tire pressure. It's an asinine system, and I'm wondering if there is a lurking ABS problem afoot that just hasn't come to light yet.

AND.....

I lowered it last weekend. What a fucking mistake that was. It handles great and looks amazing. Parts were under $100 and only took a few minutes to install while I was rotating the tires. Essentially they are modified and adjustable links for the ride height sensors. This lets the car just adjust the air pressure and raise/lower to where you adjust them to. Of course air bags are linear rate dependant on air pressure, so now it rides like a bouncy 19yr olds POS civic that has heated coils. Seriously, it's BAD. Handling is MUCH improved with ~1.5in lower height. Dive and lift during braking and acceleration are almost gone, and body roll is greatly reduced. It's so poorly undersprung at that lower height that it's not uncommon to hit the bumpstops, even on relatively smooth roads. "Allroad" mode rides really nice and has the appropriate spring rate, and damping curves, however it lifts it back up almost 5in, and all the body roll, dive and squat comes right back. I kept the stock parts, I'll probably put it back and sell the links. Such a disappointment on this front :(

BUT WAIT.........

We went camping last weekend. 2 adults, 2 kids, and 1 dog. We wouldn't have made the trip without the boat. Filled the hatch completely, and then had to use the floor of the boat for camp chairs, coolers, and the air mattress. I think there is improvement to be made on the equipment optimization front here, but sure would be nice to just toss the stuff in the truck and take off and not have to worry about optimizing a packing solution to go. We're close, but not quite there. On top of all those reasons, I had to throw stuff in the hatch I didn't want to. Firewood, trash, things like that, that, well, weren't pleasant to have in there, and made a mess. If we are going to continue on this front, and we intend to, then the luxury SUV isn't quite the fit I want.

THATS NOT ALL......

Remember those expansive ass brakes I need to work on? I'm not on day 16 waiting for them to ship. Not only are they expensive as all dammit, they're on backorder almost everywhere. This might be an "every car" problem, but it sure isn't helping my motivation to keep the stupid thing. I don't think I'm in any safety concerns at this point, however it's an agitation I just don't want or need currently. The brakes are amazing, and well, this is how I get to pay for them I suppose.

SO, the local Nissan dealer has a Titan on the lot they just dropped the price on by about $3k. Puts it under $56k for a brand new truck with a lifetime warranty. Not sure it has the style as the Sierra I want, but for around $20k less money, that seems like a silly argument from a value perspective. With that said I've been a car guy for years, so I completely get the emotional side of vehicle ownership. Who knows where I'll land, but wanted to vent for a minute, and this seemed like a good place to do it :D

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Tell them 50k out the door and you will drive up there today.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do you guys feel about the F150 with the Powerboost Hybrid Driveline?

I like the idea of having a 7.2kW generator available all the time. Never been a big fan of Fords in general though. 24mpg average sounds kinda nice, as well as running on 87 instead of 93 octane fuel. The Lariats have VERY similar packages as the AT4 and Pro-4X. Not quite as off road centric, but enough to meet the needs for me. Something like a Lariat Supercrew, with the FX4 package, hybrid driveline, and 360 Pro-Pilot or whatever they call the tech package. Lots of reviews online, and lots of interesting videos of using the generator for all kinds of shenanigans (personal favorite was powering a bouncy house blower for the kids in the middle of a field). Has great tow and payload capacities. Aside from "not being excited about it" I'm not finding any real big downsides to it. Have a cousin and an uncle that both have this setup and they report back favorably as well.

Can't find one to order, but there are some used ones around that are right at this $60k price range I keep finding myself in.

Any thoughts from the crowd?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Not a huge fan of Fords but they are offering some really cool features. In any case, 60k for a used truck just seems like a lot to me. I bet you can find a Ford dealer willing to move on price on a special order. I would check out some F150 forums. As many trucks as they sell, I am sure there are still high-volume dealers shelling out discounts to stay #1.

As far as the Titan - they have your number. If they can't move a truck or need one more sale at the end of the month - they have your number.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not a huge fan of Fords but they are offering some really cool features. In any case, 60k for a used truck just seems like a lot to me. I bet you can find a Ford dealer willing to move on price on a special order. I would check out some F150 forums. As many trucks as they sell, I am sure there are still high-volume dealers shelling out discounts to stay #1.

As far as the Titan - they have your number. If they can't move a truck or need one more sale at the end of the month - they have your number.
Agreed on the Titan.

I know the GMC guys go through Laura GMC in MO. That place is offering $3-5k discounts on trucks in transit, while local dealers are putting "market rate adjustments" of $5-10k over sticker. I'll be more than happy to buy new, online, and drive to go get it. Brought the SS home from Winnipeg, can't be any worse than that. Figured there was probably a Ford dealer in the same situation. I'll have to go digging.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How do you guys feel about the F150 with the Powerboost Hybrid Driveline?

I like the idea of having a 7.2kW generator available all the time. Never been a big fan of Fords in general though. 24mpg average sounds kinda nice, as well as running on 87 instead of 93 octane fuel. The Lariats have VERY similar packages as the AT4 and Pro-4X. Not quite as off road centric, but enough to meet the needs for me. Something like a Lariat Supercrew, with the FX4 package, hybrid driveline, and 360 Pro-Pilot or whatever they call the tech package. Lots of reviews online, and lots of interesting videos of using the generator for all kinds of shenanigans (personal favorite was powering a bouncy house blower for the kids in the middle of a field). Has great tow and payload capacities. Aside from "not being excited about it" I'm not finding any real big downsides to it. Have a cousin and an uncle that both have this setup and they report back favorably as well.

Can't find one to order, but there are some used ones around that are right at this $60k price range I keep finding myself in.

Any thoughts from the crowd?
I had a fx4 platinum. IMO, the fx4 package is garbage. It rides super soft, but isn't really good off-road. You'd probably be more interested in the Tremor package. It's more in line with an AT4 or similar.

Regarding the propower thing.... It's an inverter basically. I think it's more marketing gimmick than anything, the vast majority of people don't use their existing inverters for more than a laptop charger.. It's got some great applications for actual work vehicles.... Powering a saw or an air compressor or similar, but for most consumers I think it's."excess functionality when buying a truck".

Re hybrid... You said you do like 30k a year, so I'm. Gonna guess you do a lot of highway miles
A hybrid is less ideal for that duty cycle vs a small diesel. The hybrid will help in town... But less so highway. It's been my experience with the Ecoboost expedition, we hit the epa highway estimate, and beat it around town. Could be because I drive faster on highway and accelerate slower in town, but that's my experience.

Ford dealers are like, probably the worst for markups right now. While you might build one for 65, it'll take the right dealer to actually sell you it for that. We had dealers wanting 5k over MSRP to order, and 10k over if they have one.

PParting thoughta. Ram.has the best suspension, and the ecodiesel is great and efficient. Ram would be at the top of my list if I was you.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a fx4 platinum. IMO, the fx4 package is garbage. It rides super soft, but isn't really good off-road. You'd probably be more interested in the Tremor package. It's more in line with an AT4 or similar.

Regarding the propower thing.... It's an inverter basically. I think it's more marketing gimmick than anything, the vast majority of people don't use their existing inverters for more than a laptop charger.. It's got some great applications for actual work vehicles.... Powering a saw or an air compressor or similar, but for most consumers I think it's."excess functionality when buying a truck".

Re hybrid... You said you do like 30k a year, so I'm. Gonna guess you do a lot of highway miles
A hybrid is less ideal for that duty cycle vs a small diesel. The hybrid will help in town... But less so highway. It's been my experience with the Ecoboost expedition, we hit the epa highway estimate, and beat it around town. Could be because I drive faster on highway and accelerate slower in town, but that's my experience.

Ford dealers are like, probably the worst for markups right now. While you might build one for 65, it'll take the right dealer to actually sell you it for that. We had dealers wanting 5k over MSRP to order, and 10k over if they have one.

PParting thoughta. Ram.has the best suspension, and the ecodiesel is great and efficient. Ram would be at the top of my list if I was you.
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure how much the hybrid will help or hurt. I'm around 18k/yr and about 2/3k of that is towing, 12-13k is commuting, and a few road trips thrown in as well. My commute is mostly interstate, but bridge traffic has been bad and looks to stay that way for a few years. Takes my 35min commute to about 55min.

It think I would use the generator a few times a year at full tilt. Been a few storms and such that I would have liked to have had one to help keep the house going. We've been camping some more this year, and while we haven't "boondocked" yet, I think it's on the list to try out. Would be nice to use the coffee maker without a plug nearby. I do agree though it's likely rarely used, however also like 4wd. When you need it, you're glad you have it.

Rams on my list to go drive. I'm not a fan in general, but trying to be open minded about it. The AT4 is still the one that "speaks to me", but I want to do my due diligence and get out of this trading cycle I've been in for a few years.

CanTex

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I purchased a new truck for my wife last month - 2022 Sierra 1500 w/ Denali package. Dealer was listing $5k below sticker as this is the older / not refreshed model for 2022. So far pleased with the vehicle... just another option for you to consider.
If you're in the $60k territory for used stretch a few k and you're in a new vehicle.

Truck.jpg

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I purchased a new truck for my wife last month - 2022 Sierra 1500 w/ Denali package. Dealer was listing $5k below sticker as this is the older / not refreshed model for 2022. So far pleased with the vehicle... just another option for you to consider.
If you're in the $60k territory for used stretch a few k and you're in a new vehicle.

View attachment 178943
Sharp looking truck! Wow - congrats.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

View attachment 178943
That's a really sharp truck man.

I'm finding some AT4's with the refreshed interior for mid $60k range new. Might end up that way, might not. Have to see how things shake out. It's a lot of cash to lay out each month no matter which way you slice it.

Does that Denali have the 3.0L in it? If so, how do you like it so far?

CanTex

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's a really sharp truck man.

I'm finding some AT4's with the refreshed interior for mid $60k range new. Might end up that way, might not. Have to see how things shake out. It's a lot of cash to lay out each month no matter which way you slice it.

Does that Denali have the 3.0L in it? If so, how do you like it so far?
Denali has the 6.2L gasoline engine.

We previously had a Ram 1500 with the 3.0L ecodiesel, personally I'd never own another small diesel engine. Turbo lag was bad, if changing lanes on a country road you really needed to time things right, acceleration no-where near that of gasoline. The trucked averaged 22mpg, we also have a Ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi that gets 18mpg. I didn't notice any significant savings at the pump.

Low end torque on 3.0L diesel is great, we only tow the boat twice a year so didn't benefit much. Maybe if we towed a heavy load on a regular basis I'd have a opinion.

RNYCLV

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone else two with an SUV instead of a truck? I currently have an SUV with third row seating as I have three kids and need to fit them all in. I am currently looking into getting something new or used. I have looked at the KIA Telluride (we have a dealer close with a few used and new) and found it to be spacious and can tow. We had a Sorrento in the past and it towed great and held up very well. But I am hoping that I can find something American ....any suggestions?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone else two with an SUV instead of a truck? I currently have an SUV with third row seating as I have three kids and need to fit them all in. I am currently looking into getting something new or used. I have looked at the KIA Telluride (we have a dealer close with a few used and new) and found it to be spacious and can tow. We had a Sorrento in the past and it towed great and held up very well. But I am hoping that I can find something American ....any suggestions?
I'm currently towing with a '17 Audi Q7. Have towed with a '06 Trailblazer SS, '10 Chevy Traverse, and '03 GMC Yukon.

The 19's are so light you can tow them with damn near anything. My '17 AR190 scaled at 3,160 last may. It had a full tank of fuel, and all of our gear ready for a day on the water in it. They're pretty light, and you'll be hard pressed to find things that DON'T tow it well. Stay away from CVT's, and 4cyls and I think you'll be fine. Most modern V6's with traditional transmission will handle it just fine.

If I was to get an American SUV right now, to tow with. I would be looking at a Tahoe/Yukon, an Expedition, Ford Explorer, or a Durango. The Durango is probably the best of the 3. Still somewhat mid-sized, has a 3rd row, and I think a 7,500lb tow rating. Can get them with GIANT V8 engines if you want, or even just a small 6 if you want.

I like the tellurides/palisades on a value basis. You get a lot of features for the money, and Kia/Hyundai have made good strides in both initial and long term reliability. I personally think the tow rating of 5,200lbs is low for any Yamaha in the 20ft+ range.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Denali has the 6.2L gasoline engine.

We previously had a Ram 1500 with the 3.0L ecodiesel, personally I'd never own another small diesel engine. Turbo lag was bad, if changing lanes on a country road you really needed to time things right, acceleration no-where near that of gasoline. The trucked averaged 22mpg, we also have a Ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi that gets 18mpg. I didn't notice any significant savings at the pump.

Low end torque on 3.0L diesel is great, we only tow the boat twice a year so didn't benefit much. Maybe if we towed a heavy load on a regular basis I'd have a opinion.
Thanks for the feedback.

The Denali is available with the 3.0L Duramax, just have to spec it/pay for it that way. The 6.2 is a good motor though, so I'm sure it'll server you well.

Mind if I ask what sale price was on that thing?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

I went down this path earlier, to great extent.

End result is we ended up with an expedition. Palisade and Telluride were on the list, but only tow 5k pounds and charge yearly fees for some features after the first 3 years (nav and remote start were the deal breakers).

We looked at just about everything. Diesel Tahoe was my top pick until diesel skyrocketed. Liked Grand Cherokee L a lot, but was disappointed by the lack of roof cents (we have a little guy in a rear facing Carseat). Wagoneer was nice, but similar issues with vents and honestly it was overpriced and the Etorque powertrain was widely panned by owners for being unreliable. A non Etorque version would have made a much stronger case.

Pathfinder was nice, but a little small, and all our dealers were gouging, eliminating its big price advantage. Explorer was like, almost there. The wife liked it, I liked it but had a few qualms, and in the end we drove an expedition not 5 minutes after and the wife said "this doesn't drive any bigger", which was her big concern. We are very happy with our expedition, I do still like the Tahoe, but feel like expedition has better feature packaging and is slightly larger, which was big for us.

If it was solely up to me, I'd have bought a Durango rt tow and go for the wife. But I also really want a Durango Hellcat for me. She hates dodges though, so that wasnt even an option.

CanTex

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback.

The Denali is available with the 3.0L Duramax, just have to spec it/pay for it that way. The 6.2 is a good motor though, so I'm sure it'll server you well.

Mind if I ask what sale price was on that thing?
Sticker $73.5k, paid $68.5k
Has every available option...I mean everything.

RNYCLV

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm currently towing with a '17 Audi Q7. Have towed with a '06 Trailblazer SS, '10 Chevy Traverse, and '03 GMC Yukon.

The 19's are so light you can tow them with damn near anything. My '17 AR190 scaled at 3,160 last may. It had a full tank of fuel, and all of our gear ready for a day on the water in it. They're pretty light, and you'll be hard pressed to find things that DON'T tow it well. Stay away from CVT's, and 4cyls and I think you'll be fine. Most modern V6's with traditional transmission will handle it just fine.

If I was to get an American SUV right now, to tow with. I would be looking at a Tahoe/Yukon, an Expedition, Ford Explorer, or a Durango. The Durango is probably the best of the 3. Still somewhat mid-sized, has a 3rd row, and I think a 7,500lb tow rating. Can get them with GIANT V8 engines if you want, or even just a small 6 if you want.

I like the tellurides/palisades on a value basis. You get a lot of features for the money, and Kia/Hyundai have made good strides in both initial and long term reliability. I personally think the tow rating of 5,200lbs is low for any Yamaha in the 20ft+ range.
Thank you, we have the 19 so I feel comfortable towing it with the SUV, just wasnt sure if other had any horror stories or suggestions... thank you for the input