• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possible new tow vehicle.......Lets hear thoughts from the gallery.......

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Congrats, are you not concerned about pulling the boat out with a 4x2? I guess the weight of the camper will help a lot, but Itd be in the back of my mind that I'm a slippery ramp away from game over.
I will unload the camper before launching. If we are going to a place that won’t allow for unloading the camper, we’ll bring our SUV to launch. The lakes are super low in CA, and the ramps are steep. Launching with the camper is a no-go until the lakes fill up again. Probably in 2023-24.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will unload the camper before launching. If we are going to a place that won’t allow for unloading the camper, we’ll bring our SUV to launch. The lakes are super low in CA, and the ramps are steep. Launching with the camper is a no-go until the lakes fill up again. Probably in 2023-24.
I was talking more about not having 4x4 to pull the boat out. No experience personally, but my uncle got rid of his 2wd f150 after a week because he about dunked his new f150 into the intercoastal his first time out with his boat. Granted he had a big offshore fishing boat, and a f150 is decidedly less big truck than a ram 2500, but was just curious if you had any concerns about it.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I don’t have any reservations about pulling my boat out of the water. I would be more concerned about putting it in the water if the ramp is slippery. I always walk the ramp before launching wherever I go. I won’t launch on a ramp that is loose or has gravel. I also make sure here is enough ramp so my trailer won’t drop off. I use large wheel chocks anytime I launch. (Bus size). Having a 4x4 was for launching on dirt ramps off grid. Don’t jinx me.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I was talking more about not having 4x4 to pull the boat out. No experience personally, but my uncle got rid of his 2wd f150 after a week because he about dunked his new f150 into the intercoastal his first time out with his boat. Granted he had a big offshore fishing boat, and a f150 is decidedly less big truck than a ram 2500, but was just curious if you had any concerns about it.
I launch almost daily in 4x2 and never had an issue. My main ramp, I cannot walk on barefoot - I slide right down. It is pretty slippery. That being said, first thing I do on my trucks is upgrade to AT tires. I also do have 4x4 for piece of mind but honestly that only gets turned on in heavy downpours.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Small update.

AT4 sold to someone else. Fine by me. I think I liked it over the Titan, but not enough to stretch for it.

Worked a deal on the Titan for a few days, and ended up walking away when they wouldn't remove the "Pulse" brake light system they were selling me for $400, that I'm sure cost $50, and required cutting the brake lighting harness on a truck with 16mi. They wouldn't budge and neither would I. I'll buy from someone else.

Overall, we're back to considering a trailer and other options to do the admittedly infrequent truck things. Bonus comes through later this month. If it hits big, I might get a truck, might not. Lots of other competing priorities for expendable cash currently.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Under the premise of keeping the car at least a few more months, and with towing season coming up. Dropped about $2k in parts/tools for a brake job. New pads/rotors, and fluid flush.

Also picked up a set of these lowering links. Be interesting to see how the vehicle responds to being a few inches closer to the ground :D

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Under the premise of keeping the car at least a few more months, and with towing season coming up. Dropped about $2k in parts/tools for a brake job. New pads/rotors, and fluid flush.

Also picked up a set of these lowering links. Be interesting to see how the vehicle responds to being a few inches closer to the ground :D

2 grand for brakes? Ouch. I've been debating if it's worth it to spend 700 for a new powerstop kit front and rear, lol. That's with new calipers too!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2 grand for brakes? Ouch. I've been debating if it's worth it to spend 700 for a new powerstop kit front and rear, lol. That's with new calipers too!
Yeap, Rotors are only made by Zimmerman or OEM. $303/ea for those. Mine are toast. Same with the rears.

Q7 Brakes are AMAZINGLY strong and VERY fade resistant. I've beat and beat on these and can't find the edge of capability yet. Gotta pay to play though :(

1651763186044.png

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
We have a new 2022 Yukon XL with the 5.3L and it pulls our 2022 SX195 like its not even there.
Here is the downside: At 3,942 miles, the lifters broke in the engine and it had to be towed. From what the dealer told us, this is a common issue on the 2022 5.3L and that GM received a "bad batch" of lifters and do not know what engines they went into. Now I am a Quality Engineer in Land Power and Aerospace components and we lot trace everything, so I don't completely buy the fact GM does not know what engines these went into. We had all the lifters replaced with the "upgraded" design at the dealer and no issue. When mine was towed in, they said this is the 12th truck this year with this problem that this dealer had to fix.

1651765706315.png

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeap, Rotors are only made by Zimmerman or OEM. $303/ea for those. Mine are toast. Same with the rears.

Q7 Brakes are AMAZINGLY strong and VERY fade resistant. I've beat and beat on these and can't find the edge of capability yet. Gotta pay to play though :(

View attachment 177167
Looks like powerstop makes rotors for them too, for like 150 a piece.

Don't know much about yellowstuff pads, I recall people using greenstuff before but think they kinda got relegated to "used to be good" status.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have a new 2022 Yukon XL with the 5.3L and it pulls our 2022 SX195 like its not even there.
Here is the downside: At 3,942 miles, the lifters broke in the engine and it had to be towed. From what the dealer told us, this is a common issue on the 2022 5.3L and that GM received a "bad batch" of lifters and do not know what engines they went into. Now I am a Quality Engineer in Land Power and Aerospace components and we lot trace everything, so I don't completely buy the fact GM does not know what engines these went into. We had all the lifters replaced with the "upgraded" design at the dealer and no issue. When mine was towed in, they said this is the 12th truck this year with this problem that this dealer had to fix.

View attachment 177172
Yea gm has had lifter issues for quite some time now. I think the issue is less a "they don't know what trucks have them" issue and more a "they don't know what lifters from the batch are bad" kinda issue.

Blows my mind how lax automakers are about quality. Not as bad as tech companies, but still not up to standards from defense.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

View attachment 177167
Been considering a nicer suv to replace wife’s Honda. Thanks for the reminder to NEVER buy a German car!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea gm has had lifter issues for quite some time now. I think the issue is less a "they don't know what trucks have them" issue and more a "they don't know what lifters from the batch are bad" kinda issue.

Blows my mind how lax automakers are about quality. Not as bad as tech companies, but still not up to standards from defense.
Got a link for the fitment? I searched for a week and couldn't find anything. Most of the guys on the Audi boards have done the same. Lots of fitment for the 4L chassis, but none for the 4M ('17+ Q7).

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Been considering a nicer suv to replace wife’s Honda. Thanks for the reminder to NEVER buy a German car!
Keep in mind this car has 6 piston non-floating Brembo calipers on it, and rotors that are just shy of 16in in diameter.

Low production numbers on the Q7 force us into OEM replacements on exotic parts. That's the bigger issue. I think Audi only sold ~37k of these chassis over a 3year run in the US.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Having worked in Aerospace where traceability was a thing.........We delivered an ISS Payload and 2 spares on one pallet. The paperwork to support those was delivered on 3 pallets......You don't want to pay the automotive industry to keep that kind of traceability.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Keep in mind this car has 6 piston non-floating Brembo calipers on it, and rotors that are just shy of 16in in diameter.

Low production numbers on the Q7 force us into OEM replacements on exotic parts. That's the bigger issue. I think Audi only sold ~37k of these chassis over a 3year run in the US.
You’re driving too damn fast if you smoked 16” rotors!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You’re driving too damn fast if you smoked 16” rotors!
I think the previous owner rode the car hard and often. It also sat outside near the beach in Jersey. The rotors have acceptable thickness remaining, but have very bad buildup (they're "warped"), as well as pitting. Just replacing to get back to factory.

These brakes will pull the car down from 120+ multiple times without fading. Thing weighs 5500lbs. I've long been a fan of Audi brakes. The ones on my A4 were equally as robust, but slightly less expensive to work on. I want to say the little A4 was around 3,500lbs and still had 14"-ish rotors and 4 piston calipers up front.

The thing I've found with German cars in general......they break half as often, but cost twice as much to repair. They also LOVE to build safety factor into everything.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Got a link for the fitment? I searched for a week and couldn't find anything. Most of the guys on the Audi boards have done the same. Lots of fitment for the 4L chassis, but none for the 4M ('17+ Q7).
Rockauto has a crap load of them too. Much cheaper than that. 350mm rotors?

I Google q7 powerstop rotors and they had a press release, didn't say year though

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rockauto has a crap load of them too. Much cheaper than that. 350mm rotors?

I Google q7 powerstop rotors and they had a press release, didn't say year though
Just checked RockAuto for rotors. Lots of rears, only 1 front that list them as 350mm. Fronts are 375's on mine. The set they listed doesn't have the right picture either. The Q7 fronts are VERY distinctly shaped.
1651775282188.png

Almost bought this setup from FCPEuro. $934 for the fronts with new wear sensors. Check out the shape on the hub of these rotors. It's near impossible to miss.

EropaParts.com has a nice kit as well.

I've searched and called all the typical parts places and either nobody has them, or they're just as expensive from Zimmerman as the OEM stuff. You find me some less expensive front rotors and I'll send these back, and split the difference with you :D :D :D

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Replacement parts like this remind me to buy American, lol.