• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possible new tow vehicle.......Lets hear thoughts from the gallery.......

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum…. But literally everyone of your posts is exactly the same.

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum…. But literally everyone of your posts is exactly the same.
That’s because all of the topics on the respective forums related to towing rigs, towing limits, etc. thought it might be helpful, I’ll remove. It might be helpful if identical topics were consolidated, lol

portlandbucfan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I love my tundra. It isnt sexy, but its reliable, and will last.

I have owned 6+ german vehicles...never again.

Hope it all works out.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well proprietary BS is biting me again.

Picked up a large lag screw in the left rear this weekend. Road Hazard from TireRack is available, but tread depth is too low for a full payment. That's fine, I drive a lot. Bigger issue is that they don't have any other 285/40/21's from Pirelli of this model in stock. SO, I'm being forced into 4 new tires due to the AWD system tire size variance allowance, and lack of inventory.

Probably going to go with 295/40/21 Continental DWS 06. $1,600 bill I wasn't really wanting to deal with. Ugh. Not the car's fault, clearly, but the size and tolerancing sure isn't helping the situation. Kinda that same crap as the brakes.

Also......This car doesn't have a spare tire. Had I known that up front I wouldn't have bought the damn thing.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Go to a mom and pop place they will plug it. Retailers won't. Done this many times with no issue.

Side note - most cars don't come with spare anymore. It is usually a $100 add-on option when ordering.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Go to a mom and pop place they will plug it. Retailers won't. Done this many times with no issue.

Side note - most cars don't come with spare anymore. It is usually a $100 add-on option when ordering.
Think they can address this?

1655128787529.png <--Click to make bigger

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I don't see why not. They will probably do a cash only deal no receipt. You need new tires but I would patch it and get a new truck lol.

Could also call around for a used tire. Not ideal but if your trading in soon - another good cheap option. You won't get anywhere near the $1600 back on trade.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't see why not. They will probably do a cash only deal no receipt. You need new tires but I would patch it and get a new truck lol.

Could also call around for a used tire. Not ideal but if your trading in soon - another good cheap option. You won't get anywhere near the $1600 back on trade.
Yea, that $1,600 will be GONE on the trade. Not sure how much longer I'll have this thing. Waiting for a few triggers from work to make a move.

I'm |...| that close to pulling the trigger on a Rivian Reservation. If I could find some hard data on power usage while towing I could make some decisions on it and move forward. Was on the water all day Saturday. Back at camp in the evening. Toddler fell off the golf cart, split his head open. Had to make an ER run to the nearest hospital 50mi away or so. How does that work if I'm down to under 50% and shit has to happen "RIGHT NOW". It's those weird edge cases that have me worried........Anyway, that's for another thread.......If I pull the trigger on a Rivian it could be as soon as a few months, or as long as a year.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
No different than you being at half a tank in an ICE. Being honest here - you shouldn't ever really be in a situation where you only have 50 miles left, unless your on a road trip. With the Tesla we typically topped off before getting to our location so we knew we where good around where we were going.

Side note - get some seat belts on the cart!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No different than you being at half a tank in an ICE. Being honest here - you shouldn't ever really be in a situation where you only have 50 miles left, unless your on a road trip. With the Tesla we typically topped off before getting to our location so we knew we where good around where we were going.

Yea, I kinda get the "half tank in" premise. The issue is I'm towing through a charging desert essentially. The distance is far enough that I'll be sneaking up on 5-10% reserve capacity if I take the boat with me. My internal Boy Scout won't let me drop below 20% SOC or so on a trip. My use case is kinda weird because I have a really high energy usage (because towing), and I'm going through what amounts to a charging desert. There are some 50A 240V plugs available and some slow charging stations, but nowhere to really get a good quick charge within my circle of travel with the boat.

So in this instance I would have been around 55% SOC (assuming R1T with 135kWh pack and 800Wh/mi usage on ABRP after leaving on 100%) when the ER run was triggered. I dropped the boat and left it, and hauled butt to the ER in the Q7 this time. Hospital was 45mi away, and we made it there in a shade under 40min. I suppose I would have done the same thing in a Rivian, and still been able to make the trip without incident. Would have been a little slower trip and closer to the edge on energy usage had I left the boat attached.

I REALLY like the Rivian, and I REALLY want to get an EV that tows. I'm having the hardest time letting go of the flexibility that comes from an ICE in a charging desert. I'm struggling with the "Just because I CAN, does that mean I SHOULD?" arguement.

Side note response: golf cart was stationary when accident happened. Older brother had pulled into playground, parked, and 4yr old tripped getting out, did a barrel roll and bonked his head on a larger than normal piece of rock. Belts are a good idea, no doubt, but wouldn't have helped him here. Just klutzy moment on rough terrain. We should probably be a little more vigilant on letting them travel outside viewing distance with the golf cart, no arguments there either, however they both handled it fairly well. 10yr old stripped his shirt off and applied pressure, then drove cart back to camp (like 6 spaces up) to get help.

**EDIT** Here's my plugshare map. Filtered to 50kW and higher outlets.
Red circles is home.
Blue circles are Ramps (We were near top left blue circle on Saturday, it's the easiest to solve)
Highlights will require a charge. Others can make it there and back on 1 charge
Assuming: 800Wh/mi usage and 90% SOC departure.
1655144436975.png

**EDIT#2**
I 100% understand that all of this concern goes completely out the window if we stay the night somewhere. Even a 110V charge overnight will get us that small amount to easily cover the trip home. The highlighted spaces are a shade over 2hrs away, so they're on the fringe of "day trips" anyway for us. If we overnight (in particular at a campground with RV hookups) we're in good shape.

It's really |...| that close to being completely ironed out for me and for me to make a reservation.

Last edited:

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yea, I kinda get the "half tank in" premise. The issue is I'm towing through a charging desert essentially. The distance is far enough that I'll be sneaking up on 5-10% reserve capacity if I take the boat with me. My internal Boy Scout won't let me drop below 20% SOC or so on a trip. My use case is kinda weird because I have a really high energy usage (because towing), and I'm going through what amounts to a charging desert. There are some 50A 240V plugs available and some slow charging stations, but nowhere to really get a good quick charge within my circle of travel with the boat.

So in this instance I would have been around 55% SOC (assuming R1T with 135kWh pack and 800Wh/mi usage on ABRP after leaving on 100%) when the ER run was triggered. I dropped the boat and left it, and hauled butt to the ER in the Q7 this time. Hospital was 45mi away, and we made it there in a shade under 40min. I suppose I would have done the same thing in a Rivian, and still been able to make the trip without incident. Would have been a little slower trip and closer to the edge on energy usage had I left the boat attached.

I REALLY like the Rivian, and I REALLY want to get an EV that tows. I'm having the hardest time letting go of the flexibility that comes from an ICE in a charging desert. I'm struggling with the "Just because I CAN, does that mean I SHOULD?" arguement.

Side note response: golf cart was stationary when accident happened. Older brother had pulled into playground, parked, and 4yr old tripped getting out, did a barrel roll and bonked his head on a larger than normal piece of rock. Belts are a good idea, no doubt, but wouldn't have helped him here. Just klutzy moment on rough terrain. We should probably be a little more vigilant on letting them travel outside viewing distance with the golf cart, no arguments there either, however they both handled it fairly well. 10yr old stripped his shirt off and applied pressure, then drove cart back to camp (like 6 spaces up) to get help.

**EDIT** Here's my plugshare map. Filtered to 50kW and higher outlets.
Red circles is home.
Blue circles are Ramps (We were near top left blue circle on Saturday, it's the easiest to solve)
Highlights will require a charge. Others can make it there and back on 1 charge
Assuming: 800Wh/mi usage and 90% SOC departure.
View attachment 180373

**EDIT#2**
I 100% understand that all of this concern goes completely out the window if we stay the night somewhere. Even a 110V charge overnight will get us that small amount to easily cover the trip home. The highlighted spaces are a shade over 2hrs away, so they're on the fringe of "day trips" anyway for us. If we overnight (in particular at a campground with RV hookups) we're in good shape.

It's really |...| that close to being completely ironed out for me and for me to make a reservation.
@2kwik4u
Your threads read as if you need/want another vehicle ASAP, yet aren’t deliveries of newly reserved Rivians pushed to late 2023 at the earliest? You have much less need for instant gratification than I if you can wait that long! Plus, what else will be coming down the pike in the next 18 months that you’ll long for, instead?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u
Your threads read as if you need/want another vehicle ASAP, yet aren’t deliveries of newly reserved Rivians pushed to late 2023 at the earliest? You have much less need for instant gratification than I if you can wait that long! Plus, what else will be coming down the pike in the next 18 months that you’ll long for, instead?
It's want. It's all want. No real need. My Q7 only has 67k miles on it. Needs a bit of work ($3k-ish), and I have some strong love/hate feelings for it......but it's a very nice vehicle and I'm just being a selfish first world dweller......I'm complaining about driving a VERY nice luxury SUV, because I don't want to spend a small percentage on maintenance.

I do this every few years. A couple decades ago, my buddies diagnosed me with Vehicular Attention Deficit Disorder.......it's persisted into late adulthood for me, and at this point appears incurable.

You're right though, I'm gonna be 18mo+ for a Rivian at least. Silverado is gonna be just as long I'm guessing. I really like the insulation from maintenance and the wacky/wavey oil market, but I tow a lot in the summer and am generally not near chargers while towing, so it's a sticky wicket.

What I really need to do is just fix the Q7, maybe add a tune, and keep it for another year or two. Save my pennies and be ready to pounce when both trucks and charging stations become more available.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Troch1 @adrianp89

If I was to think about the best "Swiss Army Knife" of vehicles, I have to go with the Powerboost Hybrid F150. That 7.2kW generator, large tank, long range, high tow rating, giant interior, and available long bed config.......that thing is really a quite versatile tool. You don't get the stability in maintenance and energy costs of an EV, but it will do a LOT of work for a relatively low cost (compared to others in the field).

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Except if you have a half tank of gas you can fill up in 5 minutes anywhere in the country.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm ordering new tires. My dumbass bought the fancy car, my dumbass can pay for the fancy tires to go with it.
21" wheels are stupid, let's be real. They should be 20 or 22, odd size wheels never have much in tire choices.

I looked at the dws06 but ended up with the pirelli zero as plus Nero hero whalabamama or some crap like that. Decent tires, Sam's club had them to me in a few days. Cheaper all in than discount tire or tire rack too.

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
21" wheels are stupid, let's be real. They should be 20 or 22, odd size wheels never have much in tire choices.
funny that I’ve never once been unable to find tires for my various cars in 15”, 17”, 19”, or 21”. Had them all in the past 5 years and no lack of options. Silly comment.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@BlkGS @Troch1

The problem isn't really the selection with 21in, it's this particular 21in. There are like 5 options in 285/40/21, but like 20 in the 275 or 295 range. Audi, in their quest for engineering perfection chose the EXACT right tire, and never considered availability. That wasn't on the acceptance criteria. Much like they hold the coolant pipe to the head on my 2.0T with (4) different screws. I'm certain each one was selected for the EXACT right reason, and they never considered just making them all the same so it's easy to work on.

I'm moving to a 295 to get the Conti's. I've ran the DWS 06 on several other vehicles and had great luck with them. These are the largest set I've bought, but not the first.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
funny that I’ve never once been unable to find tires for my various cars in 15”, 17”, 19”, or 21”. Had them all in the past 5 years and no lack of options. Silly comment.
When you compare tire choices for a 21 to a 22 or 20, or a 19 to a 18 or 20, you go from "options available" to "tons and tons of options".

For sure, there's oddball sizes that are even. I had a saturn vue redline in college that was one such. But I'm general, even sizes are more common, thus more choices, thus better prices.

Last edited: