• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Possible new tow vehicle.......Lets hear thoughts from the gallery.......

$31/mo ($379/yr) difference with todays pricing. Be at the pump a lot more often so it will certainly "feel" worse. Total cost is kinda in the noise though.

Prices pulled from Gasbuddy.com for my area. 22mpg from the truck I test drove. 16mpg reported as average from the neighbor.

View attachment 176432

I think the heritage portion is a good read in general. Lots of people are brand loyal. Those that aren't typically jump ship to Toyota. Read one review that said Nissan sold 27k trucks in '21. Ram sold over 570k in the same timeframe.

When you compare spec sheets, the Titan makes a good case for itself. HP/Torque/Payload/Tow Capacity, as well as all the other "features" are right on par with the competition. So anyone comparing them "logically" would see them as a pretty excellent value considering the price point. The Pro-4X is right inline with an AT4. Styling aside, something else has to be driving away buyers. Ignorance (lack of knowledge they exist, not just being dumb)? Tradition? Emotion at some level? Who knows.

I'm going to stop by and look at a white one on the way home today. See if I like it in that same color scheme I like the AT4. Probably drive the neighbors around the block and push buttons in the driveway over a beer(after the drive of course) if he's around tonight.

For some reason I was thinking the Titan took premium. I know the same motor in armada and Infiniti armada like premium.

22 mpg out of the diesel is surprisingly low. Tahoe was supposed to be 26 to 27 highway, I'd think the trucks would be similar or slightly better.

They used to do that sort of stuff. But now nobody does deals.

You can still find them, just need to be open to shipping. Lot's of guys are still getting 10% off on Wranglers, which was still hard to find pre-COVID.

I really want to see a plug in gas hybrid truck. That could make me switch brands, especially if I could cover 25 miles towing on a single charge. I wish I got anywhere close to normal MPGs lol. The truck pretty much exclusively tows a few miles in stop/go traffic every day. I think I average 10-11 on the dash, but my use case is unique. I actually tow so much with the truck than without that I actually backed out of a spot in the wrong direction a few weeks ago (turned the wheel like I am backing up a trailer) lol.

I dunno, I think that logically, a plug in hybrid truck would make a LOT of sense, but somehow I think forces would conspire against it.

@adrianp89 @BlkGS

Went and drove a Titan last night. TL: DR at the bottom.

Overall it's a nice truck. I can see where the money difference between the GMC and the Nissan is though. I'll break it down by category below, I have a lot of thoughts.

Interior:
I think the Nissan is just as nice or nicer here. Seats are firm and pleasant, but not superb. Infotainment and center stack is somewhat better laid out. it works fine, none of them are how I would do it, so they all have weird quirks and such. Center console is MUCH better in the Nissan. Good place to put the phone that shows thoughts on where the hell the cord should go. I think they copied this from RAM, not sure who had it first to be honest. Panoramic Moonroof is pretty amazing, and doesn't buffet or sound weird on the expressway. The fit and finish isn't as good as the GMC, but the plastic bits are less obvious and of higher quality. They don't fit quite as tight though. Seats are "higher" or the dash is "lower" than I'm used to. Felt a bit odd. No HUD in the Nissan despite a large panel that looks like where one would go. Windshield is more upright and smaller in general do to the higher beltline styling. Not bad, but noticeable. Rearview mirror felt small, and visibility overall didn't' feel as good. Overall I would be perfectly happy spending time here. Big takeaway is that it didn't agitate my neck the way the Audi does. I could easily sit in the back seat behind the drivers seat setup for my 6'2" frame. Rear air vents and rear seat heaters are present, as well as some USB ports and a charging port. Boys will do just fine back there for years to come.

Exterior:
Styling is subjective, but it's a fine looking truck. The white with black accents are nice, the step boards are SUPER solid and coating in LineX or similar bed coating stuff. Emblems are a little obnoxious, and the large "Pro-4X" decal will go away in short order. Bed comes pre-lined with durable coating and it has some sort of track system in it. No idea if that's actually useful or not, have to see how that works out after purchase. Wheel/Tire package is 18's with AT General Grabber tires. Not stellar, but not bad. I like the 20's on the AT4 better, but overall no big deal, the look fits. No fancy tailgate, no fancy anything really. It's pretty basic bed and cab on wheels here. LED lighting looked nice, but I didn't drive it at night to have any idea how that performed.

Driving:
The 5.6L (which does take premium I've learned) has TONS of power. 1st gear is short and makes easy work of spinning the tires. Throttle is a little touchy, but not bad. Have to watch what you're doing to keep from putting down too much power on turns out of parking lots and such. The engine sounds AMAZING. I merged onto the expressway next to one of those concrete wall things, and the reverb was just great. It honestly sounds as good or better than my SS did, definitely better than the diesel in the AT4. Tow rating is 9,660lb, I think payload was 1,400-ish lbs. That stacks up well against the AT4, and easily has me covered. The suspension is very typical truck. It's oversprung when empty, and possibly over damped a bit. Made it a bit nervous over bumps, it's definitely NOT smooth like the RAM's, but it's not far off the AT4. The 18's weren't doing it any favors either. Steering was HEAVY. ALL THE TIME, it was heavy. I thought something was broken in the parking lot, it's seriously under assisted. On the highway, the heavy feeling made for great cruising, but parking at the grocery store is gonna build some shoulder and bicep muscles.

The fuel mileage is a concern on premium. At 20k mi/yr that calculation I did before grows to ~$85/mo. Makes a stronger case for the diesel. The "upside" is that there is no trickery in the engine. No start/stop system. No cylinder deactivation. It's just a big, powerful V8 and 9spd transmission. Kind of like the simplicity of it, despite it's arguably abysmal economy. I think it's a DOHC engine, but I'm not certain. I didn't even lift the hood now that I think about it.

The driver aids were OK. Not great, but OK. As expected, they worked just like I expected them to, and very similarly to my wifes '18 Rogue. The auto cruise didn't like a busy urban street with cars on the side of the road, and people turning from the left lane. But it seemed to do fine on the interstate and maintained speed and distance acceptably. Rear parking sensors fired on me when doing a test park at the grocery store, good and bad I suppose. I found the button to turn them off, but not sure how that works for things like hooking up the boat and going back and forth forward and reverse to get lined up. Camera views were good, but quality was poor. I'm spoiled by the HD cameras on the Audi that look amazing and have exceptional field of view. Even the GMC's are down compared to the Audi stuff on video quality.

Overall feel:
It's a truck. It's going to do truck things. It's not as refined as the RAM, and not as pretty as the GMC. It has plenty of power, and plenty of space. It presents a really good value overall. $60.5k for a brand new truck with an exceptional warranty. This particular dealership gives "lifetime" warranties on all new Nissans. If you own it, and bought it from them, they cover everything except maintenance and wear items for the entirety of your ownership. Nissan corporate does 5yrs 100k miles bumper to bumper coverage. Not sure RAM or GMC can compete at that level. It's not the driving experience you'll get from the GMC, and it doesn't have the refinement of the RAM, but it'll do the truck things just fine. I liked it. Probably an 8/10 on an overall scale. I still like the AT4 better, but then again I also like double oaked Woodford Reserve, but drink Four Roses on the regular. I think the Titan is the right choice here for where I'm at in life, finances, and desires. It's nice enough to have all the features, but not so luxuruious that it's going to be fragile or cost me a fortune to maintain.

Working the deal:
Here's where we hit a snag. I'm like 90% certain I want the Titan at this point. They will NOT budge off sticker price, and gave me an absurdly low value on my Audi. Like, $5k under Carvana offer on the Audi. I owe around $40k on it, and they offered $28k. They're selling on the Audi boards right now for around $42k or so. I don't have the best example, I get that, but they can take a hike at $28k. We'll have to work on that. Also, I've found a few dealers online that have exactly what I want for $1-2k under sticker through rebates and such. We're a LONG ways apart on the making the deal work at this point. We'll see if I can close that gap in the next few days, but who knows.

I do think I'm going to lease though. I've changed vehicles every 3-5yrs for the past 20yrs I've been driving, and I've had a payment almost that whole time. Say what you will about the financial literacy that might or might not be at play there, but leasing appears to fit my habits. If I take a 15k/yr lease for 3 years, and actually drive 18k/yr, at $0.25/mi overage I'm only $2,250 in the hole, and I only pay that if I walk away and hand them the keys. I spoke to the finance manager about it, and she recommended shooting for a 17k/yr lease. We can adjust our habits some, and it limits our exposure up front. If we overbuy miles I don't get that money back, but if I underbuy I don't want to do so grossly. If I lease through them, all maintenance while under lease is covered as well, so there's some cost savings to be had there.......We'll see where I land. I'm not afraid of going elsewhere to get the truck and deal I want, and I'm hoping I can leverage that to get a comparable deal locally.

TL: DR
It's a truck. It does truck things well. It's a great value. I think I'll pick it over the AT4.

Last edited:
Pretty much what I expected you'd say, lol.

They're good TRUCKS, but less good as the rolling status symbols most use them for.

We had a similar issue with trading our rogue. They initially offered us like 10k for it and I told them to F right off. They tried all their "we use a system how could we be off" bullshit and then their pre-owned manager admitted he massively under bid us to try to make some money. After hours of fighting we got them in a better spot, but still would have gotten more from carmax. By that point, the wife didn't want to mess with it anymore.

I'll freely admit, we didn't get the most aggressive deal I could have negotiated, but we got a good deal and a lifetime warranty. For us, that's nice, because we will keep this a long time, and the Ecoboost was the only thing that gave me some pause on the vehicle.

So if you keep it a long time, that lifetime warranty is worth way more than the little bit of money you could "maybe" save at the under msrp guys. I say maybe because we dealt with a lot of those guys that said under msrp but had plenty of crap that made them more expensive overall. If you're gonna lease it, the lifetime warranty likely doesn't matter, and I'd see how it works with leasing, it may not transfer if you buy it out.

Nice write-up on the Titan! :winkingthumbsup"

Call me a cheap s.o.b., but when I fill up the 33-gallon tank on my Ram, I'm glad it takes regular and not premium.

Jim

Follow up.....Sure looks like the Endurance V8 in the Titan is a DOHC

Nice write-up on the Titan! :winkingthumbsup"

Call me a cheap s.o.b., but when I fill up the 33-gallon tank on my Ram, I'm glad it takes regular and not premium.

Jim

Same with our expedition at 26 gallons, lol.

Ad yeah, the 5.6 is a dohc direct Injected v8.

You can still run the regular and not the premium in those 5.6L engines, my wife has an Infiniti QX56 now and it has the same engine. We run 87 with 10% ethanol in it, no issues yet ??‍♂️ So glad we traded the 17 explorer sport, the small gas tank was annoying plus we got premium trade in for it.

You can still run the regular and not the premium in those 5.6L engines, my wife has an Infiniti QX56 now and it has the same engine. We run 87 with 10% ethanol in it, no issues yet ??‍♂️ So glad we traded the 17 explorer sport, the small gas tank was annoying plus we got premium trade in for it.

Yeah, modern engines will just pull timing to prevent knock. Technically the hemi and Ecoboost and others make peak hp, fuel economy, etc on premium.

Yeah, modern engines will just pull timing to prevent knock. Technically the hemi and Ecoboost and others make peak hp, fuel economy, etc on premium.
Read an article awhile back on fuel sensors and new programming paradigms. Toyota was working on a feed forward PID loop controls and octane sensing tech, so that the ECM could just always run the appropriate timing, and never have to be reactive to pre-detonation.

I'll see if I can dig it up.

Looks like the Nissan V8 does just fine on 87, as @Acard7 pointed out, but gets max power on 91+. I would probably run 87 in the winter when I'm just commuting and the air is cool, then 93 in the summer when it's hotter and I'm more likely to be loaded down with the boat.

In other thoughts, got a KBB "cash offer" on the Audi this evening. $36.3k from the same dealership, sight unseen. Curious where the hell they got $32.5k for it?!?

My past 3 trucks have been GM, and am admittedly pretty stuck on the brand. There's a familiarity with them and I've preferred their styling up to now. I claim I'm willing to consider other options and I'm not certain my next truck will be a GM, it's yet to be seen... I'm not disappointed with either of the two we have in the family now.

Prior to buying the AT4 my wife had a 2012 Tundra SR5 (5.7L) for several years. It was far more basic than the new truck, not the most efficient, especially when towing, but was the definition of reliability. We did buy it used and it was nearly half the price of her new AT4. These new absurdly expensive trucks could give most luxury cars a run for their money now with their tech and features...

I'm of the mindset that these major brands have all taken their turn building crappy trucks over the decades and vice-versa. I think it's hard to make a bad choice with the current offerings, just pick the best fit for your needs and budget. The Titan is a worthy choice, I approve.

On the topic of efficiency, it's a tough sell either way you slice it. I think there's a consensus that diesel provides a number of benefits in terms of power and efficiency, but the truck is going to cost more and so is the fuel (most of the time). The engines arguably endure wear better for more miles. While there's been some improvement over the years in fuel economy and emissions, I'm convinced engine manufacturers could do far better than what we're currently being offered. I belive the energy extraction from a modern ICE is somewhere in the neighborhood of 30%. Look at the claims Koenigsegg is making in regards to their FreeValve engine.

I would love to see how a engine like this would would perform in a full size truck application. Imagine a lighter weight engine that's got less moving parts, smaller, produces more power, and 30% more efficient. Could it compete with electric? Koenigsegg developed this tech 5+ years ago, I think we've just seen the majority of innovation move towards electric.

This peanut has an alternate solution... Buy a cheap truck.

Your 60k truck gets a dent and you cry about it. Your 6k truck gets a dent and you kick the backside of it to try to pop it out.

Thats hilarious and so true!!!

I do understand that the 5.7L Hemi will produce more hp with premium, although I personally haven't had the need for more hp. I would love to see a study comparing the fuel economy difference between the use of regular and premium gas in the Hemi, to see if the difference is worthwhile. LOL, I got my first Ram with a Hemi in 2012, and over the last 10 years whenever I see the 50 cent difference in price between regular and premium, my hand automatically goes toward the regular button!

Jim

I do understand that the 5.7L Hemi will produce more hp with premium, although I personally haven't had the need for more hp. I would love to see a study comparing the fuel economy difference between the use of regular and premium gas in the Hemi, to see if the difference is worthwhile. LOL, I got my first Ram with a Hemi in 2012, and over the last 10 years whenever I see the 50 cent difference in price between regular and premium, my hand automatically goes toward the regular button!

Jim
I did this with my '12 Focus SE. Back when E85 was just coming around and it was like $1.15/gal or something.

87 Octane was $0.135/mi in fuel
93 Octane was $0.127/mi in fuel
E84 was $0.183/mi in fuel.

That car spec'd 87 as the primary fuel, but since I knew it could run E85 I figured it had the ability to adjust timing to take advantage of the higher octane. Sure enough it did. The performance increase on that car with running E85 was HUGE, and even with a months of driving habits to let the power sink in and keep my foot out of the throttle; I found that it didn't get good enough economy to justify running it. The 93 octane though, it surprised me significantly with the value it provided. Just enough power to make less throttle required on daily driving activities.

Clearly this isn't the same as a HEMI, and results will vary for everyone. In the Focus, the extra juice WAS worth the squeeze.

Did a similar test in my Sierra. Wasn't worth it. There was a performance increase, but not enough to warrant running 93 all the time.

I suspect the Ecoboost would gain a good bit from 93 in performance... I dunno about efficiency though. We pretty much slug it along and so I doubt it'd see any improvement from more power for us.

Well, after a long debate amongst family members and the Admiral, I ended up trading my 2022 Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins back in for a Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x2 6.4 Hemi. I gained 1100 lbs of payload and some piece of mind. I can now legally tow my boat with my camper on the truck. I’ve been a Ford truck guy my whole life, but haven’t been able to find one. I’ll say one thing, the Rams are great looking trucks. Sounds good too.

Well, after a long debate amongst family members and the Admiral, I ended up trading my 2022 Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins back in for a Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x2 6.4 Hemi. I gained 1100 lbs of payload and some piece of mind. I can now legally tow my boat with my camper on the truck. I’ve been a Ford truck guy my whole life, but haven’t been able to find one. I’ll say one thing, the Rams are great looking trucks. Sounds good too.

Congrats, are you not concerned about pulling the boat out with a 4x2? I guess the weight of the camper will help a lot, but Itd be in the back of my mind that I'm a slippery ramp away from game over.

Back