• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Possible new tow vehicle.......Lets hear thoughts from the gallery.......

Love the interest rate. Not sure I could stomach that payment though. Gonna be around $2k/mo with that short term. Ouch. I make extra payments, but not that extra.
But if you were going to pay cash in the first place and you think your investments would appreciate in the next 36 months, it would be a great deal.

But if you were going to pay cash in the first place and you think your investments would appreciate in the next 36 months, it would be a great deal.
Oh, I 100% get that. Wish I was in a position to grab a $80k truck with cash. Not quite there yet.

This gallery fan always leans to trucks. Although we got the wife the 2022 Explorer ST with tow package for occasional towing while the truck pulls the travel trailer.

10%/year for 3 years gets you about $24k back. Makes the deal a little better.

I’d be concerned about the diesel and the codes, specifically due to the ecu and or emissions being frequently messed with.

Check the OBDII port and do a visual inspection of all the emissions equipment on the exhaust and under the hood.

Having a mild tune still might not be a deal breaker but any more than that and I’d be out.

This peanut has an alternate solution... Buy a cheap truck.

You want a truck for work stuff, hauling mulch, home Improvements, etc. You don't want to do that in a 60k truck, it'll get all messed up. If you buy an inexpensive truck to do truck shit with, who cares if it gets scratched and scuffed? Your 60k truck gets a dent and you cry about it. Your 6k truck gets a dent and you kick the backside of it to try to pop it out.

That all of course depends on if you like the q7. If you are ready to get rid of it, then that's a different story. But if you could get into a semi cool truck, or even a lightning or something like that for not that much money... That'd be pretty damn sweet. Plus, the kids could drive it when they're old enough and you won't have to buy something for them.

Not sure on the half ton diesels, but my last few one ton diesels (pre-covid) all held their value extremely well. Trading my 2020 GMC 3500 AT4 in a couple weeks for $2,500 less than bought for brand new in Jan '20. Have just over 48,000 miles on it.

I just bought a 2022 Ram 2500 4X4 6.7 Cummins diesel. Turns out the payload is only 2400 lbs. I bought a lance camper which is specifically designed for 1/2 ton trucks, but it's too heavy for my truck, and that's before I hook up the boat. A heavy duty 3/4 ton truck that can't do squat. In the process of trading it in with 1200 miles.

We were very interested in a diesel Tahoe before buyi g our expedition. We totally abandoned that idea when gas prices spiked, because diesel absolutely skyrocketed. Premium was previously roughly the same price as diesel. Now premium is 4 bucks, and diesel is 5. That price parity and the need for DEF totally invalidated the cost savi GS vs a gas v8, let alone anything more efficient and gas.

I can't speak to diesel prices elsewhere, I can tell you that when we lived in NC diesel was always a bit more than premium. I can't say how long diesel prices will stay higher than gas. But that was the big thing that swayed us out of one.

This peanut has an alternate solution... Buy a cheap truck.

You want a truck for work stuff, hauling mulch, home Improvements, etc. You don't want to do that in a 60k truck, it'll get all messed up. If you buy an inexpensive truck to do truck shit with, who cares if it gets scratched and scuffed? Your 60k truck gets a dent and you cry about it. Your 6k truck gets a dent and you kick the backside of it to try to pop it out.

That all of course depends on if you like the q7. If you are ready to get rid of it, then that's a different story. But if you could get into a semi cool truck, or even a lightning or something like that for not that much money... That'd be pretty damn sweet. Plus, the kids could drive it when they're old enough and you won't have to buy something for them.
We kicked around a few options like this. Ended up not wanting to expand the fleet. One option was a new Armada for her and a beater truck for me. Down to one payment. We're at a point in life we dont want to work on cars. As much as I hate to say it as a car guy, we just want some appliance level interactions with our cars right now.

I like the Q7 but don't love it. It's time for it to go somewhat regardless of what we do otherwise. If I end up keeping it into towing season I need to throw brakes and fluid changes at it. Drivers seat has a weird squeak to troubleshoot as well.

On top of that, I found out I have a herniated disc between C6 and C7 in my neck a few months ago. The Audi's seat being near the floor doesn't help me at any level. PT said it adds tension to the nerves and stresses that location. Pickup seats are further off the floor in general and are a more favorable position for my back/neck. I can't raise the seat much in the Q7 or my head hits the ceiling. Not certain moving to a pickup is going to keep me out of surgery, but I gotta think with our screwed up health system it's at least gonna be cheaper.

Best vehicles I've owned have been GMCs so it's a return to the brand for me as well. Not that I've had lemons otherwise, but both of my past GMCs have been sorely missed when traded in. I'd like to get out of the trade every few years cycle I'm in. Maybe a return to the brand will help with that?!?

I agree, there are other ways to skin this particular cat, but I think the move back to a pickup is the right move for us right now.

We were very interested in a diesel Tahoe before buyi g our expedition. We totally abandoned that idea when gas prices spiked, because diesel absolutely skyrocketed. Premium was previously roughly the same price as diesel. Now premium is 4 bucks, and diesel is 5. That price parity and the need for DEF totally invalidated the cost savi GS vs a gas v8, let alone anything more efficient and gas.

I can't speak to diesel prices elsewhere, I can tell you that when we lived in NC diesel was always a bit more than premium. I can't say how long diesel prices will stay higher than gas. But that was the big thing that swayed us out of one.
I ran the math on that the other day. With local prices being $4.17 for premium and $5.29 for diesel, AND 20k miles a year, and a jump from 19mpg to 22mpg average.....I would save a whopping $250/yr in fuel costs. Almost a wash overall, and once you count DEF it's almost certainly a wash.

I’d be concerned about the diesel and the codes, specifically due to the ecu and or emissions being frequently messed with.

Check the OBDII port and do a visual inspection of all the emissions equipment on the exhaust and under the hood.

Having a mild tune still might not be a deal breaker but any more than that and I’d be out.
I know the OBD port was empty. Used my code reader to pull the codes from there during the test drive.

I crawled under the truck. There was one section of the exhaust that had more surface rust than the rest. Almost as if it had been modified with mild steel instead of stainless or galvanized. The welds and hangers looked factory welded though, so I dismissed it as nothing. Didn't consider looking any harder at it once I found the CEL.

I was told they took it over to the local GMC dealer this afternoon to get it resolved. It's still under power train warranty, so they're letting GMC deal with it. Be interesting to see the results of that endeavor.

Not sure on the half ton diesels, but my last few one ton diesels (pre-covid) all held their value extremely well. Trading my 2020 GMC 3500 AT4 in a couple weeks for $2,500 less than bought for brand new in Jan '20. Have just over 48,000 miles on it.
That's good to hear.

My '15 Sierra (5.3L gas) was bought for $36k at 36k miles. I got $32k for it when I traded 3.5yrs later with 108k miles.

I suspect this segment in general holds value well.

I know the OBD port was empty. Used my code reader to pull the codes from there during the test drive.

I crawled under the truck. There was one section of the exhaust that had more surface rust than the rest. Almost as if it had been modified with mild steel instead of stainless or galvanized. The welds and hangers looked factory welded though, so I dismissed it as nothing. Didn't consider looking any harder at it once I found the CEL.

I was told they took it over to the local GMC dealer this afternoon to get it resolved. It's still under power train warranty, so they're letting GMC deal with it. Be interesting to see the results of that endeavor.

How long has it been on the lot? It could be something as simple as a low or dead battery. That's a GM trait, weird intermittent electrical complaints when the battery is low, has been low, etc. I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it personally. The only thing you "might" want to look for is an emissions bypass, which would be a net win anyways because they're expensive and the emissions systems are what goes wrong on diesels nowdays.

How long has it been on the lot? It could be something as simple as a low or dead battery. That's a GM trait, weird intermittent electrical complaints when the battery is low, has been low, etc. I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it personally. The only thing you "might" want to look for is an emissions bypass, which would be a net win anyways because they're expensive and the emissions systems are what goes wrong on diesels nowdays.
Been on CarGurus website for 5days. Dealer tells me they traded for it 8 days ago. No idea if it had the CEL when traded.

I'm not overly concerned to be honest. If they find and repair the root cause (not just reset the light) I'll be fine.

Been researching aftermarket warranty companies and what they cover and how well they work. Had one thrown in on my '15 Sierra. I would have paid like $1,800 for it I was told. Ended up covering a shade over $3k in A/C work. Can't remember the company that was through, but I'm considering one for this truck as well. I've read great reviews about Fidelity Extended Warranties. Might get a quote on one of those if the deal ends up happening.

Been on CarGurus website for 5days. Dealer tells me they traded for it 8 days ago. No idea if it had the CEL when traded.

I'm not overly concerned to be honest. If they find and repair the root cause (not just reset the light) I'll be fine.

Been researching aftermarket warranty companies and what they cover and how well they work. Had one thrown in on my '15 Sierra. I would have paid like $1,800 for it I was told. Ended up covering a shade over $3k in A/C work. Can't remember the company that was through, but I'm considering one for this truck as well. I've read great reviews about Fidelity Extended Warranties. Might get a quote on one of those if the deal ends up happening.

We got one with the expedition through fidelity. It's not the fidelity you're thinking of, despite what the dealership implied, but per info online they're actually still good.

Honestly, for you, I wouldn't bother. It's got powertrain for a few more years and you're gonna trade it out in like 2 years anyways once you get tired of it being slow as molasses. That's the big downside of them,, they're perfectly adequate, but give no sensation of acceleration or quickness. They just plod along, sometimes as fast as the car next to you, some times faster, it doesn't matter, they just plod.

The 3.0 has a lot of appeal. Most people state they get way over 22 especially highway miles with these. I did see GM is updating the 3.0 for 2023 today. No idea on specifics. I know there is someone else on here that had one with a 255 and he had PCM issues as well. As long as you don’t have issues with it everyone I’ve talked to that has one loves it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't personally get a modern diesel. Every person I know that has a diesel that's 5 years old or less has nothing but random issues. Shoot even a couple of youtube people I follow always complain about constant check engine lights, and niggly things going wrong. This isn't specific to ford, ram or chevy. All of them seem to be dumpster fires.

I just bought a 2022 Ram 2500 4X4 6.7 Cummins diesel. Turns out the payload is only 2400 lbs. I bought a lance camper which is specifically designed for 1/2 ton trucks, but it's too heavy for my truck, and that's before I hook up the boat. A heavy duty 3/4 ton truck that can't do squat. In the process of trading it in with 1200 miles.

IMHO, the problem isn't your truck, its that RV manufacturers have to be some of the biggest liars on the planet! From the Lance website, the specs on their 650 half-ton model is Dry Weight w/Std. Equipment 2061 Lbs. and Wet Weight w/Std. Equipment 2264 Lbs. In what world is this a 1/2 ton truck camper?

2400 lbs is a respectable payload for a 3/4 truck. Unfortunately, as you have learned, one really needs a 1-ton truck for a light weight truck camper with room to spare for hauling a trailer. I considered this myself, two years ago, but in the end decided we (wife and I) were getting too old for this combo.

Jim

Back