• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Possible new tow vehicle.......Lets hear thoughts from the gallery.......

IMHO, the problem isn't your truck, its that RV manufacturers have to be some of the biggest liars on the planet! From the Lance website, the specs on their 650 half-ton model is Dry Weight w/Std. Equipment 2061 Lbs. and Wet Weight w/Std. Equipment 2264 Lbs. In what world is this a 1/2 ton truck camper?

2400 lbs is a respectable payload for a 3/4 truck. Unfortunately, as you have learned, one really needs a 1-ton truck for a light weight truck camper with room to spare for hauling a trailer. I considered this myself, two years ago, but in the end decided we (wife and I) were getting too old for this combo.

Jim

I'd have a hard time not getting one of those sprinter or transit camper vans in that situation.

IMHO, the problem isn't your truck, its that RV manufacturers have to be some of the biggest liars on the planet! From the Lance website, the specs on their 650 half-ton model is Dry Weight w/Std. Equipment 2061 Lbs. and Wet Weight w/Std. Equipment 2264 Lbs. In what world is this a 1/2 ton truck camper?

2400 lbs is a respectable payload for a 3/4 truck. Unfortunately, as you have learned, one really needs a 1-ton truck for a light weight truck camper with room to spare for hauling a trailer. I considered this myself, two years ago, but in the end decided we (wife and I) were getting too old for this combo.

Jim
There is a weight sticker inside my camper (2019) Dry weight is 1905, and with installed options, 2135. That’s definitely incorrect. But I bought the camper 2nd hand, so no recourse. Yes, I’m already too old for this. What was I thinking? ??

We got one with the expedition through fidelity. It's not the fidelity you're thinking of, despite what the dealership implied, but per info online they're actually still good.

Honestly, for you, I wouldn't bother. It's got powertrain for a few more years and you're gonna trade it out in like 2 years anyways once you get tired of it being slow as molasses. That's the big downside of them,, they're perfectly adequate, but give no sensation of acceleration or quickness. They just plod along, sometimes as fast as the car next to you, some times faster, it doesn't matter, they just plod.

Yea......I trade often, and typically between 60k and 120k miles. I'm hoping to break that cycle. I hate the car buying experience in general. If you look at just about anything else in my life, I research the crap out of it, then buy it once. Boat, House, Bicycles, Lawnmower, TV's, Appliances, etc. Hell even my shoes are "repeat buys" of the same style brand and model, and only replaced when worn out. For some reason my vehicles haven't enjoyed the same lifestyle. It's costing me time, money, and most importantly at this point in my life, bandwidth.

Secondary hope is that I'll solve the "go fast" problem with a motorcycle here soon. Been working on getting my buddy to sell me his Ducati for a few years. Probably play hell on my neck, but might scratch the acceleration itch I get from time to time :D

The 3.0 has a lot of appeal. Most people state they get way over 22 especially highway miles with these. I did see GM is updating the 3.0 for 2023 today. No idea on specifics. I know there is someone else on here that had one with a 255 and he had PCM issues as well. As long as you don’t have issues with it everyone I’ve talked to that has one loves it.
I too have heard the reports of higher mileage. The "trip 2" hadn't been reset on this truck since new. Showed 44,000 miles on it and average lifetime mileage of right at 22mpg.

1650544314755.png <--Click for larger image

1650544331833.png <--Click for larger image

Maybe previous owner drove it like he stole it? Maybe it's got a tune and muffler delete or something and borked the mileage? Maybe this is just real world reports? Not really certain.

I too have heard the reports of higher mileage. The "trip 2" hadn't been reset on this truck since new. Showed 44,000 miles on it and average lifetime mileage of right at 22mpg.

View attachment 176085 <--Click for larger image

View attachment 176086 <--Click for larger image

Maybe previous owner drove it like he stole it? Maybe it's got a tune and muffler delete or something and borked the mileage? Maybe this is just real world reports? Not really certain.

My best mileage shows 31.0 mpg by previous owner or some flatlander, lol. With my driving around this hilly property and to and from town I only see single digits from the 5.3l.. I aspire to see 31 mpg.
My 6.6l duramax avg. was 10 mpg. for the same driving routine.

5DFCB7E2-B3C1-4B48-A6C9-C4B69CA94B8C.jpeg

Last edited:

The babymax is very appealing! Nothing quite like the torque with an oil burner.

I had the duramax in the 3/4 ton before I traded it for the 6.2 gasser when we got the full time slip and I couldn’t justify the use case for the increased capacity and with my (short) city commute and DEF.

With that truck you have to send off the ecu for a swap to get a tune…. I suspect could be same situation with this truck. If the former owner did put a tune on it, you’re gonna get better power and mileage too. In any case I wouldn’t fear it.

An in-line 6 is inherently balanced and suspect that it drives great. Good luck and keep us posted!

Any other pics you can share of the rig?

Run from this truck. 2 years old and CEL lights? Hard Pass. At 60k this thing better be perfect. Keep looking or open criteria to other trucks brands. 60k is a lot of budget... you can get a fully loaded Ram for that price.

Currently driving a 2017 Audi Q7 Prestige. It has the adaptive suspension package, black optics package, and a few other options. It's a nice car, and has treated us well for the last ~14mo or so. It tows well, and even did a long road trip to FL and back with the boat and 5 humans. Traded my '15 GMC Sierra SLT for this last year after I had a rodent and subsequent electrical problems with that truck. There was also some bad personal mojo around that truck, so it needed to go anyway. The Q7 is rated at 7,700lbs and has been great for towing our little AR190. Arguably you can pull this boat with about anything, so there's that.

I looked into buying a trailer. They're $2k-ish for a 6x12 brand new around here. Little less if I scrounge and find a used one. Then I have to store it somewhere, and the only place to store it is right next to the new patio we have planned. That'll be fun to stare at. Other options include getting a storage facility to house both the boat and trailer, but then it's not really handy. Same with keeping it at work. It's better than renting, but 30+mi away isn't exactly cheap in terms of time or fuel. So we kinda landed on getting another pickup.

In this market, if I was happy with the Q7, I would just buy a decent trailer. Don't want to look at it, just put up a privacy fence to hide it. I have an ATV trailer (4200 lbs capacity) bought primarily for the off road toys, but used for other hauling as well, when even my truck alone won't do. For example, made two trips to pick up our new flooring, at 4000 lbs per load. When I need the lumber to build our pergola for the patio, again will just pick up with the trailer.

Jim

The babymax is very appealing! Nothing quite like the torque with an oil burner.

I had the duramax in the 3/4 ton before I traded it for the 6.2 gasser when we got the full time slip and I couldn’t justify the use case for the increased capacity and with my (short) city commute and DEF.

With that truck you have to send off the ecu for a swap to get a tune…. I suspect could be same situation with this truck. If the former owner did put a tune on it, you’re gonna get better power and mileage too. In any case I wouldn’t fear it.

An in-line 6 is inherently balanced and suspect that it drives great. Good luck and keep us posted!

Any other pics you can share of the rig?
No other pics to share. Just grabbed a couple here and there. I'm running around the city this afternoon. Might swing by and see if I can find it sitting in the dealership lot. Dad asked for more pics too.
Run from this truck. 2 years old and CEL lights? Hard Pass. At 60k this thing better be perfect. Keep looking or open criteria to other trucks brands. 60k is a lot of budget... you can get a fully loaded Ram for that price.
Yea, but then I'd have to drive a Ram :)

Honestly, how they handle the CEL, and what the root cause is will determine if the deal moves forward. Tune or other shenanigans and I'll negotiate the price down or walk. Random BS solved, meh, could be any truck.

Either way I'm pretty convinced I'll get an extended warranty.
In this market, if I was happy with the Q7, I would just buy a decent trailer. Don't want to look at it, just put up a privacy fence to hide it. I have an ATV trailer (4200 lbs capacity) bought primarily for the off road toys, but used for other hauling as well, when even my truck alone won't do. For example, made two trips to pick up our new flooring, at 4000 lbs per load. When I need the lumber to build our pergola for the patio, again will just pick up with the trailer.

Jim

We looked hard at figuring out a trailer. Won't lie, the desire to get back in a pickup somewhat clouds the utility position. Part of me just wants a truck. I enjoyed the height and utility of it. Q7 just "feels" less durable and less utilitarian. I'm a boy scout at heart and that "Be prepared" part of me likes the premise of driving over and through stuff to get things done. Even if I don't actually do it very often. Personal perception thing I think.

Jim
I found another 2500, 4x2 w/Hemi engine. The payload is 3400. So I'm gaining 100# in payload. I'm taking it in the shorts on the deal, but I can have piece of mind now. No fun towing with a camper knowing you're 800 lbs heavy. My old heart can't take that.

I found another 2500, 4x2 w/Hemi engine. The payload is 3400. So I'm gaining 100# in payload. I'm taking it in the shorts on the deal, but I can have piece of mind now. No fun towing with a camper knowing you're 800 lbs heavy. My old heart can't take that.
Man, that's rough.

Wife and I went through the exercise a few years ago of looking at slide in campers. Love the premise but didn't find an campers we liked and didn't want to full time drive an HD pickup.

Decided to tent camp for a summer. If that works well we'll look into a roof top tent or something like that.....or..... we'll say the hell with that and rent cabins. We're getting to a point in life where air conditioning and good bedding is important.

Would love to see some pics once you iron out the setup.

Man, that's rough.

Wife and I went through the exercise a few years ago of looking at slide in campers. Love the premise but didn't find an campers we liked and didn't want to full time drive an HD pickup.

Decided to tent camp for a summer. If that works well we'll look into a roof top tent or something like that.....or..... we'll say the hell with that and rent cabins. We're getting to a point in life where air conditioning and good bedding is important.

Would love to see some pics once you iron out the setup.
Well here's a picture of how it stands now with my 3/4 ton truck. Keep in mind that the camper is designed for short bed 1/2 ton trucks. I'm about 500 lbs overweight in this picture.

Attachments

• IMG_2730.jpg
    IMG_2730.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 21

22 combined seems pretty reasonable assuming they are rated youghly for what tahoes were. The diesel Tahoe was rated like 19/26,so 22 overall is right in range for what I'd expect.

Dodge durango 2021 R/T with the Tow N Go Package is great for towing and a blast to drive. Ordered it and it took 8 weeks the previous one was sold at 135K miles the best performing vehicle I have ever owned.

View attachment 176013

Most underrated vehicle out there. I always hunt for these at rental centers while traveling. Outstanding ride and drive.

Most underrated vehicle out there. I always hunt for these at rental centers while traveling. Outstanding ride and drive.
So, when I bought the '15 Sierra in 2017.....I was shopping for a Durango R/T. Called an audible on a Wednesday, started searching for fullsize pickups and bought the Sierra on Friday.......When I bought the Q7 last year, I started shopping for a Durango R/T.....When a couple deals fell through, I expanded my search to include the Q7's, found one within a week and bought it. Actually having test drove a local R/T on Tuesday before buying the Q7 on Monday of the next week.

When I had my TBSS there was a coworker that had a '15 R/T. We compared multiple times and I was a big fan of the R/T. I always had him out of the hole, but he would hang tight a car or so back until well into triple digit speeds. Even with modified suspension on the TBSS, I couldn't shake him on local backroad runs to lunch. They're a great value for certain when looking at the money spent for the performance and capabilities gained.

*edit*.....found a picture from "back then"....taken Feb of '17
1650569023740.png <--Click me

No other pics to share. Just grabbed a couple here and there. I'm running around the city this afternoon. Might swing by and see if I can find it sitting in the dealership lot. Dad asked for more pics too.

Yea, but then I'd have to drive a Ram :)

Honestly, how they handle the CEL, and what the root cause is will determine if the deal moves forward. Tune or other shenanigans and I'll negotiate the price down or walk. Random BS solved, meh, could be any truck.

Either way I'm pretty convinced I'll get an extended warranty.

We looked hard at figuring out a trailer. Won't lie, the desire to get back in a pickup somewhat clouds the utility position. Part of me just wants a truck. I enjoyed the height and utility of it. Q7 just "feels" less durable and less utilitarian. I'm a boy scout at heart and that "Be prepared" part of me likes the premise of driving over and through stuff to get things done. Even if I don't actually do it very often. Personal perception thing I think.

Have you driven a new Ram? I strongly suggest checking out a Longhorn or a Limited. There is a reason they have won truck of the year every year since the new generation. (4 years now I think) It blows away this generation of Chevy/GMC and Fords, especially at this price point.... interior wise it is not even close. The Chevy and Fords still feel like trucks, the Ram feels like a luxury vehicle, coming from the Q7 it may be the smoothest transition for you. The competition is not even in the ballpark. The new Fords closed the gap but still not there. Haven't been it the latest GMC/Chevy's yet. Find one with a split tailgate and it'll change your life lol. It might be the best innovation on a truck in decades IMO.

Either way, the dealer is going to downplay the CEL as much as possible. New trucks shouldn't have them.... could be why this truck was traded in. Simply not worth the risk. You are not protected by lemon laws on used.

Last edited:
So, when I bought the '15 Sierra in 2017.....I was shopping for a Durango R/T. Called an audible on a Wednesday, started searching for fullsize pickups and bought the Sierra on Friday.......When I bought the Q7 last year, I started shopping for a Durango R/T.....When a couple deals fell through, I expanded my search to include the Q7's, found one within a week and bought it. Actually having test drove a local R/T on Tuesday before buying the Q7 on Monday of the next week.

When I had my TBSS there was a coworker that had a '15 R/T. We compared multiple times and I was a big fan of the R/T. I always had him out of the hole, but he would hang tight a car or so back until well into triple digit speeds. Even with modified suspension on the TBSS, I couldn't shake him on local backroad runs to lunch. They're a great value for certain when looking at the money spent for the performance and capabilities gained.

*edit*.....found a picture from "back then"....taken Feb of '17
View attachment 176118 <--Click me

I could have shaken him in my TBSS.... lol

I've been up against a few of them, and while they're respectable, they've got nothing for the tbss. The 8 speed ones are definitely faster than the older 5/6 speed ones, but ivaent been around one that I haven't pulled, even with them being similar upgrades as me (cat back). Maybe my tbss is just extra healthy?

Hellcat Durango is at the top of my "next car" list

Have you driven a new Ram? There is a reason they have won truck of the year every year since the new generation. It blows away this generation of Chevy/GMC and Fords, especially at this price point.... interior wise it is not even close. The Chevy and Fords still feel like trucks, the Ram feels like a luxury vehicle, coming from the Q7 it may be the smoothest transition for you. The competition is not even in the ballpark. The new Fords closed the gap but still not there. Haven't been it the latest GMC/Chevy's yet. Find one with a split tailgate and it'll change your life lol. It might be the best innovation on a truck in decades IMO.

The Rams are definitely nice inside, but they still drive like a truck. I'd say the Ford is close in quality, but the ram inorefer just a little bit.

I don't think the newest f150 is any better than the last one... If anything it's a little worse to me. But I like the sort of blocker and chunkier interior. My 15 platinum and our current expedition have as nice of interiors as I'd want... Maybe a little nicer than I really want, lol. I have a 75 pound lab sitting in the passenger seat slobbering all over the interior right now, lol.

The Rams are definitely nice inside, but they still drive like a truck. I'd say the Ford is close in quality, but the ram inorefer just a little bit

With the air suspension it drives like a luxury vehicle. On the premium models it feels like driving a luxury car. Soft touch blinkers/wipers sticks, very smooth steering. Also they went to the extreme on quieting the cab. It is extremely quiet on the interstate. I cannot speak for the lower models.

I have friends with new Silverado's and they drive like complete shit compared to my Ram. (They drive like a truck)

Back