• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possibly a new Tow Vehicle

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was just looking at this. 7,200 towing capacity. It looks awesome. 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L, 3rd row seats 7. Probably going to have a ridiculous price tag, but if it is less than an Expedition I am definitely going to look at it.

All New Jeep® Grand Cherokee L - Now With A Third Row!

Last edited:

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Kind of in the same boat looking at a new ride... Although I do not prefer the Jeeps as they tend to run a bit smaller on the interior, this looks like it could top the $60k mark:oops: I'll stick to the full size escalade or navigator at that price point!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it is in the mid 60's I would definitely be interested. If its off road capability and 24" water line are actually it would be perfect for us. I have an expedition and it doesn't go off road great especially in the mountains and foothills. Sometimes we need to cross creeks. Also I don't get any deals so a Navigator or Loaded up Expedition is going to be 80k for me. Would rather take the extra 15k and upgrade the boat instead. :)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@props2you Good info in the article. Saw the info on the third row, disappointing. I thought the explorer was a bit cramped, at least compared to my expedition.

"If there is one interior concern, it is the third-row’s space, or lack thereof. Third-row leg room only measures 30.3 inches, which won’t be enough to fit adult passengers comfortably. For some added context, the Ford Explorer has a small third-row for this class and it has 32.2 inches of leg room. It’s possible that the amount of travel the second row offers could alleviate some the space crunch, but it doesn’t look promising at first glance. "

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New Jeep L (aside from the exterior and interior trim) is just a Durango.

I think they're great tow vehicles!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Honestly, the Grand Cherokee L doesn't make a ton of sense to me. They're supposed to have the Grand Wagoner coming out soon as well, which is going to be bigger than this I guess? I get that not having another 3 row puts them at a disadvantage, and they can just copy paste everything from Durango... But it's kinda awkward. I'm also not a fan of naming vehicles too close to tell the difference of other models. I wish they had given it boxy styling and called it the commander.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I saw a picture of the Grand Wagoneer, it looks decent. But it will be starting at $75k and go up from there. At that price point there are alot of options out there, wish it wasn't so expensive.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I'm looking at a new GMC 2500HD AT4 well equipped low $60's. I know it is way more than I need for a 19', but thinking ahead to the next boat 24'-25' and or RV. Can add a fifth wheel if needed. I hate towing with something that can't get out of it's own way. If you trailer through the mountains et cetera you'll be glad you have the extra power and tow capacity

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@kgower Yes I looked at those. I had an F150, actually I have had Ford Full size trucks for the last 20 years, getting a new one every 2-3 years or so. The Family made a point of telling me how they don't like riding in the back seat because it isn't that comfortable and they can only bring 1 friend. I miss driving Pickup a lot...... Anyhow when I started talking about a boat, and looking and switching out my truck for a new one, I got out voted and they wanted something that could seat 8 and was more comfortable. Hence the Expedition I got Last April, and picked up the boat around May 9th.

The other problem about driving something that will not hold a lot of people around here is at the launches. Some launches only have parking for Vehicle and Trailer and there is no parking for miles. So if the kids want to bring 2 friends each that 8 of us. No way to really do it without two cars which won't work out on some of the nicer inland lakes we go to. Logistically, how we boat about half of the time inland, seating for 6-8 is key.

I would really like to get another Ford Truck or the new GMC Truck but alas somehow I have been told that I cannot :rolleyes:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors I was in a similar situation. We had a 3 row SUV (Traverse) and a 2 row SUV (TBSS). The SS wasn't reliable for us, and the Traverse was on it's last leg and didn't like towing at the limit either. So I went shopping for a new 3-row SUV. I test drove a TON of them, and settled on the Durango R/T. Had similar driving characteristics as my SS, and had a 3rd row. Although finding one with a second row bench instead of captains chairs was like pulling teeth.

Ended up buying my Sierra on a whim, instead of going with my MONTHS of research. Only regret is not having the 3rd row. I LOVE my Sierra, but the boys are getting older, and on more than one occasion I've wanted to take more than 5 persons on a trip with us. Those extra two seatbelts in the 3rd row would've saved a spare car making the trip more than a few times over the last two years.

If the Sierra was totaled today, I would go find a Durango R/T. I really think they are an excellent value for a 3 row SUV with good towing capability.

NOW.......if I could convince the wife to get a tow vehicle and drag the boat around. I would be all over finding a 3500 Sierra AT4, and getting a camper setup. Don't need a 3rd row if two vehicles are going anyway :D :D

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This will be a Fiat product on a brand new platform. I would only advice my worst enemy to purchase a first year Fiat product. I bet they will be cheap used. I hope I'm wrong in my pessimism, but I wouldn't bet $60K+on it.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors @2kwik4u The captain always makes the decisions and apparently that isn't us. Our kids are grown and out of the house so 2nd and 3rd row seating isn't an issue for us. I have a 14 year old Denali that I hope will get us through the up coming season, as we will be trailering to ME this summer. I think it will be a rare occasion that we will have more than four of us on the boat. Of course it's all contingent on the boat actually being delivered.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
This will be a Fiat product on a brand new platform. I would only advice my worst enemy to purchase a first year Fiat product. I bet they will be cheap used. I hope I'm wrong in my pessimism, but I wouldn't bet $60K+on it.
Still living the past huh?

scbruet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I bought an old f-150 at an auction last summer before the truck market went nuts, only as a tow vehicle. My car lease is up in 6 months, and I just started looking at tow vehicles because I want to sell the truck when I hand in my lease, and go back to 1 car. A pickup won't fit in my garage, so I've been looking at the expeditions, tahoes, etc and can't believe their price tags. Yikes. I'm probably going to lease one. I figured I can't really go wrong with any of those? I'd need at least 7k towing capacity.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@scbruet
The leases on those things are nuts payments wise. I was going down that road when I turned in my F-150 on lease and decided to buy a 2017 Ford Expedition, 9300lbs towing capacity, 77k miles, last year, so 3 years old instead. 30k. Tow's awesome fits me and 7 passengers. I didn't want a big ass lease payment.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought an old f-150 at an auction last summer before the truck market went nuts, only as a tow vehicle. My car lease is up in 6 months, and I just started looking at tow vehicles because I want to sell the truck when I hand in my lease, and go back to 1 car. A pickup won't fit in my garage, so I've been looking at the expeditions, tahoes, etc and can't believe their price tags. Yikes. I'm probably going to lease one. I figured I can't really go wrong with any of those? I'd need at least 7k towing capacity.
The Tahoe/Expedition/Yukon/Escalade/etc class vehicles have exploded in price. I wanted a Yukon XL, but couldn't justify the price tags on a gently used example. To get down into the $40k range I was looking at trucks with 100k+ miles on them. Ooof.

Check out Dodge Durangos and Audi Q7's. They're a smaller SUV compared to the Expedition/Tahoe class SUVs, still have 7 seatbelts, and have tow ratings over 7k lbs. Will easily fit in a garage AND drag around a Yamaha boat.

Bought my '17 Q7 in March for just over $42k with 36k miles on it. It's not nearly as large as the Yukon XL I wanted, but it tows pretty well, and is a great daily driver so far.

scbruet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@scbruet
The leases on those things are nuts payments wise. I was going down that road when I turned in my F-150 on lease and decided to buy a 2017 Ford Expedition, last year, so 3 years old instead. 30k. Tow's awesome fits me and 7 passengers. I didn't want a big ass lease payment.
Yeah good call. Hopefully the used car market dies down in 6 months. Thats probably the best path, buying an expedition/tahoe that is a few years old.