• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possibly a new Tow Vehicle

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Woodsy , I like it. Tundras are supposed to be great tow vehicles. Ironically, I’m headed the other direction, from a small truck to an suv. I’ve had a Mazda b2000, f250, Dakota, avalanche and Ridgeline. Ridgeline was the most reliable and comfortable. I don’t like that occasionally people treat truck beds like a public trash can. Plus the cost of a nice used Ridgeline is ridiculous right now.

Im thinking something like this to replace the Ridgeline.
D5BB5287-EC52-430B-8DF1-5BCD62A2C1DC.png

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am on my 3rd 4Runner. 2015, 2018, and now a 2020. Lift kit, wheels, rubber, and rear airbags installed. Each time I lease them over 5 years with the lowest mileage agreement (exceeding the mileage limit never seems to matter when you are getting another one). After 2-3 years, Toyota calls me up and I am able to swap the 4Runner in for a new one without changing my monthly payment, basically just restart my lease and warranty coverage. The 4Runners seem to really hold their value.

Now the 4Runner only pulls 5000 lbs, but that works for my 21’ AR210. 3rd row seating, leather, built on a tacoma frame, and a lot less expensive than the full sized SUVs.

Food for thought.

That said, I am actually thinking about a Tundra these days. Love the 4Runner, but having a truck around meets some other needs. After years of lifted trucks, Jeep’s, and 4Runners, I am thinking of going the other way. Something like this:

View attachment 157967

Any one here launch their boat with a lowered truck? I don’t foresee any issues, with airbags installed to prevent any sag with the added hitch weight.
I had my TBSS lowered significantly. Towed great. Had air suspension in the rear. Getting ready to lower my Q7 as well. Has air suspension all around. Active load leveling is key to towing with a lowered vehicle IMO.

20170513_192650.jpg

20170506_144314.jpg

PXL_20210515_235433188.jpg

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am on my 3rd 4Runner. 2015, 2018, and now a 2020. Lift kit, wheels, rubber, and rear airbags installed. Each time I lease them over 5 years with the lowest mileage agreement (exceeding the mileage limit never seems to matter when you are getting another one). After 2-3 years, Toyota calls me up and I am able to swap the 4Runner in for a new one without changing my monthly payment, basically just restart my lease and warranty coverage. The 4Runners seem to really hold their value.

Now the 4Runner only pulls 5000 lbs, but that works for my 21’ AR210. 3rd row seating, leather, built on a tacoma frame, and a lot less expensive than the full sized SUVs.

Food for thought.

That said, I am actually thinking about a Tundra these days. Love the 4Runner, but having a truck around meets some other needs. After years of lifted trucks, Jeep’s, and 4Runners, I am thinking of going the other way. Something like this:

View attachment 157967

Any one here launch their boat with a lowered truck? I don’t foresee any issues, with airbags installed to prevent any sag with the added hitch weight.
Really wanted a Tundra but went with F-150. Tundras just didnt cut it when it came to price and gas mileage. Even had my toyota dealership tell me I made the right choice. They mentioned new designs and engines coming, so watching closely.

Woodsy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Woodsy , I like it. Tundras are supposed to be great tow vehicles. Ironically, I’m headed the other direction, from a small truck to an suv. I’ve had a Mazda b2000, f250, Dakota, avalanche and Ridgeline. Ridgeline was the most reliable and comfortable. I don’t like that occasionally people treat truck beds like a public trash can. Plus the cost of a nice used Ridgeline is ridiculous right now.

Im thinking something like this to replace the Ridgeline.
View attachment 157968
Coincidentally, my wife‘s favourite vehicle is the Lexus RX. We are in the throws of swapping her 2011 RX350 with a 2015 model. This will be her 3rd one. We typically buy them with about 60,000 km and sell them around 160,000 km. Everything always works like new, and have never needed a repair other than oil changes, windshields, and other basic maintenance. Once this is done, it will be my turn to build a Tundra. I know the new generation Tundra’s are coming this fall, but I suspect they will no longer have a V8. I might be old fashioned, but I like a beefy rumble in a truck more than a zippy twin turbo little engine.

Did you that in Canada when you buy a new truck, the dealerships make you sign a document saying you won’t flip it to the USA for a year or something like that. For whatever reason, trucks cost less up this way.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Great info I have always been interested in leasing especially boating in salt water when some of the boat ramps require submerging the rear wheels partially in the water and dealing with brake repairs . Your years of use could be a great comparison since I purchased my Dodge Durango R/T rated for 7,200 lb towing used in April of 2014 with 4,500 miles for $35,288.00 + $3,043.00 Taxes no financing paid cash. It now has 132K miles and has had just normal wear items replaced. If you could let us know what your monthly lease was, how many miles you have totaled and if there was an initial payment up front every year that covered taxes and dealer fees

Just a quick scenario 2015 2018 and 2020 4 runner lease payments estimated at 500 per month at 80 months = $40,000 + taxes that are added to the lease sign up my guess $1,800.00 per new lease $5,400.00 in taxes maybe more in dealer fees Total expense $45,400 + or - depending on the monthly payment and actual months of use

Dodge Durango R/T 88 months averaging 17,500 Miles per year, (This type of mileage is another reason for not leasing ) Searched on Vroom and it looks like I could get 14K for the durango Total expense after sale $24,331.00

Leasing is enticing that new car feel bumper to bumper warranty but the mileage is the deal killer if it was .25c per mile 10,000 mile per year limit with 62,000 overage now that im at 132K that could add in another $15,500.00

That is a difference of $36,569.00 o_O and 88 months vs 80 months

Woodsy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow. I am not so much of a numbers guy. In a nut shell, I advise them I am not looking to pay any more, they agree. i drive over and complete the deal. I think my annual lease mileage is 18,000 km. I am always over, but not by a whole lot.

Now if I trade in the 2020 on a Tundra, I am going to get dinged for sure. Too soon.

iamdarrick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Attachments

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors I was in a similar situation. We had a 3 row SUV (Traverse) and a 2 row SUV (TBSS). The SS wasn't reliable for us, and the Traverse was on it's last leg and didn't like towing at the limit either. So I went shopping for a new 3-row SUV. I test drove a TON of them, and settled on the Durango R/T. Had similar driving characteristics as my SS, and had a 3rd row. Although finding one with a second row bench instead of captains chairs was like pulling teeth.

Ended up buying my Sierra on a whim, instead of going with my MONTHS of research. Only regret is not having the 3rd row. I LOVE my Sierra, but the boys are getting older, and on more than one occasion I've wanted to take more than 5 persons on a trip with us. Those extra two seatbelts in the 3rd row would've saved a spare car making the trip more than a few times over the last two years.

If the Sierra was totaled today, I would go find a Durango R/T. I really think they are an excellent value for a 3 row SUV with good towing capability.

NOW.......if I could convince the wife to get a tow vehicle and drag the boat around. I would be all over finding a 3500 Sierra AT4, and getting a camper setup. Don't need a 3rd row if two vehicles are going anyway :D :D
I have had three orders placed on GMC 2500 Denalis with the 6.6 Duramax since August 6, 2021. (We tow the boat and side by sides over I-68 and I-79 all of the time with annual trips to hunt out west). It’s probably more truck than I need but the 15 Yukon with 5.3 gas (and 188k) stresses more than I like on long uphill pulls.

If you want a new truck in the Chevy/GMC line, plan on ordering one and waiting 6 to 12 months for it to arrive.

The good news is my 15 Yukon SLT is sold for 32k as soon as one of the three trucks arrive. Once truck one is in my possession, I still have first refusal on the other two. If anyone is looking for a 22 2500 Denali with all of the bells and whistles, PM me and I will be happy to provide details.

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
nice, that rig looks familiar..
which engine? air suspension?
how did it tow the 21'