• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possibly a new Tow Vehicle

scbruet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The Tahoe/Expedition/Yukon/Escalade/etc class vehicles have exploded in price. I wanted a Yukon XL, but couldn't justify the price tags on a gently used example. To get down into the $40k range I was looking at trucks with 100k+ miles on them. Ooof.

Check out Dodge Durangos and Audi Q7's. They're a smaller SUV compared to the Expedition/Tahoe class SUVs, still have 7 seatbelts, and have tow ratings over 7k lbs. Will easily fit in a garage AND drag around a Yamaha boat.

Bought my '17 Q7 in March for just over $42k with 36k miles on it. It's not nearly as large as the Yukon XL I wanted, but it tows pretty well, and is a great daily driver so far.
Thanks for the advice. Definitely going to check those out.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just went with a 2012 expedition xlt, kbb was $15k but I got it for $10k and spent $14k out the door with 1 year extended warranty on transmission and engine plus new tires. It would have cost me $20k plus fees to buy a 2010 limited to replace the one that was totalled. This is about $4k more than i paid for the limited 4 years ago. Used car pricing is just crazy right now. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles that the 4x4 limited did but it should make a great tow vehicle / people mover once it’s dialed in. Seats 8 including driver, rear wheel drive and can tow 9200 lbs.
770BAD4F-01F6-4331-8DFA-1327FB5E933A.jpeg
I can’t see buying a new Jeep for more money and with less towing capacity (7200 lbs., is a lot closer to what I actually tow with a fueled and geared boat and and suv full of passengers). I plan on going with something smaller and more luxurious for my daily driver, probably a used Lexus RX 350 suv which I can use to tow my Waverunners around in style in.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie Nice vehicle, excellent price. I went with the 4x4, well since we get snow kind of has to be going up North here. Also I did check if my rear axle is self leveling and I don't think it is. Never had anything that would do that. 8 Passengers is awesome, that is one of the reasons the admiral and kids like it so much. The MAX or Extended looks awesome with the extra trunk room. But they price those up even more around here.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My limited had a self leveling rear suspension and it was awesome, I didn’t appreciate it until I got the xlt which now needs tweaking so the rear ended doesn’t sag when towing the boat. Not sure if I can just mess with the draw bar/tow ball height or if I need to install air bags or heavy duty struts instead. If the latter two it will have to wait, I’m feel like I’m bleeding money lately.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie Full loaded with boat and 8 passengers I don't sag at all. I wonder if it does have them? Not sure how to tell.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors , I could hear the compressor at work when my limited would self level and it would do so almost every time I started it for the first time in a day. I read that they made the system quieter in 2015 so maybe that’s why you don’t notice it. I’m the long run you may be better off without. Even the dealer that sold the limited told me that if the system ever went bad to just replace the struts with conventional ones because the cost to repair or replace the self leveling components was / is outrageous and this is as four years ago / pre pandemic.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie @HangOutdoors

My new Q7 has air suspension at each corner. I can control ride height from the center stack. Will raise or lower by about 2.5-3in between "Allroad" and "Dynamic" modes. It's an amazing system, handles great, gets the clearance I need off pavement, and self levels each corner actively to maintain proper stance regardless of who's sitting where. Really cool setup.

I've considered an extended warranty for the 4 corner air suspension and active rear steering alone. I'm certain it's going to be expensive when it dies.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes those are very nice. But pricey for me :(

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes those are very nice. But pricey for me :(
It was a stretch. I was trying to stay at or below $40k. Didn't quite make it.

My TBSS had rear air suspension as well. It's super useful if you tow. If your expedition doesn't have it, then I'm sure you can add a set of bags for not much cashola. Although I'd you're already fully loaded without much sag, it's probably more sizzle than steak for you.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Air suspension is worth every penny when towing.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I tried to add air bags to a previous expedition and ran into a big labor bill mostly for installing the bags into the strut springs as I could handle the wiring myself. I’m not comfortable installing the bags themselves (don’t have the right tools or skill set). So I ended up installing some heavy duty struts instead. Don’t know what if anything I will do this time but probably go with air bags so the suspension isn’t stiff all the time. This all seems so primitive compared to the auto leveling system. My sphincter only puckered when I didn’t hear it turn on.

I’ve Got to admit it burned a little when I pulled up to a parked expedition limited max earlier this evening, it’s fully loaded and I’m at the other extreme, fully unloaded. I appreciate that I paid cash and I saved a lot of of money but still …..

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If money was no object I’d be looking for a new top of the line navigator or a Ford truck with all the bells and whistles, especially the towing system that allows you to control backing while trailering with a knob on the dash or center console.

i got to borrow an 2018 or 2019 expedition max for a few days, didn’t tow with it but could tell it was the shit.8 seats, 6 cylinder twin turbo something like 12 forward gears, all of that. But money is a thing and now is the worst possible time to buy a vehicle.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just towed 800 miles round trip with the 2014 Dodge Durango R/T it’s at 132k miles it runs like day one and has done the same trip every year. Getting ready to get a new one with the tow and go package.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just towed 800 miles round trip with the 2014 Dodge Durango R/T it’s at 132k miles it runs like day one and has done the same trip every year. Getting ready to get a new one with the tow and go package.
The tow and go package is a great value from what I remember. Get some exhaust and cooling upgrades as well as the big Brembo brake setup from the SRT's. If I remember right it was only a few thousand dollars of an upgrade, which is tiny compared to total purchase price.

scbruet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Damn, that Grand Wagoneer is sick, but comfortably out of my price range haha.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Damn, that Grand Wagoneer is sick, but comfortably out of my price range haha.
Yes it is very nice. I can't swing that either.

scbruet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You guys have any experience buying from carmax / carvana type sites? I can probably find a better deal from a private seller, but it seems like a pain in the ass with title transfer, etc,

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Carmax and Carvana are fine to work with. Some are just not comfortable buying a vehicle like that. As with anything there is always the chance that it won't work great.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You guys have any experience buying from carmax / carvana type sites? I can probably find a better deal from a private seller, but it seems like a pain in the ass with title transfer, etc,
I have friends that buy from CarMax every single time, and have for years. I was largely unimpressed with the "reconditioning" services they offer, and they are priced higher based on perceived convenience.

Meanwhile, my last 5 vehicular purchases have had WILDLY huge swings in quality, ease of acquisition, and overall satisfaction. Bought a TBSS out of Canada that was used with low miles. It was mechanically a basket case and was a giant PIA to get imported and registered. Bought my Sierra out of Cincinatti and traded the TBSS on it. Gave me 3.5yrs and almost 100k miles of near flawless performance. Bought my Audi sight unseen out of Indianapolis, and it's a mixed bag of good and bad. Bought my wifes Rogue brand new, it was super easy transaction. Bought my last Audi from a family friend that was starting a budding dealership, lots of trust in that transaction, and it worked out well. put 180k miles on that car with excellent results.

That is to say, Carmax will be VERY consistent quality, and experience. It will be hard to find EXACTLY what you want (which is why I travel to find my cars usually), but you can get close enough and they'll ship it in for you. The price at Carmax will be higher, but again there is some convenience there I suppose.

Woodsy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am on my 3rd 4Runner. 2015, 2018, and now a 2020. Lift kit, wheels, rubber, and rear airbags installed. Each time I lease them over 5 years with the lowest mileage agreement (exceeding the mileage limit never seems to matter when you are getting another one). After 2-3 years, Toyota calls me up and I am able to swap the 4Runner in for a new one without changing my monthly payment, basically just restart my lease and warranty coverage. The 4Runners seem to really hold their value.

Now the 4Runner only pulls 5000 lbs, but that works for my 21’ AR210. 3rd row seating, leather, built on a tacoma frame, and a lot less expensive than the full sized SUVs.

Food for thought.

That said, I am actually thinking about a Tundra these days. Love the 4Runner, but having a truck around meets some other needs. After years of lifted trucks, Jeep’s, and 4Runners, I am thinking of going the other way. Something like this:

D2AD7DB1-7665-466D-A10A-905E17B032A7.jpeg

Any one here launch their boat with a lowered truck? I don’t foresee any issues, with airbags installed to prevent any sag with the added hitch weight.