• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Preparing for Bimini

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know I must have been an exception to the rule, but somehow my crew & I skipped right thru with no delay.

Being it was my first experience going thru the process, I chose to wait till we had everything ready to leave Harbour Towne before calling the 800 number. I did wait almost 10-15 minutes before anyone answered & there was a lot times I had thought the call had been disconnected due to the silence.

After the brief hold, they took all of our information & asked which location we'd be checking in at, then directed us there.

Considering what most everyone else experienced, I've been telling myself we just lucked out with "beginners luck".

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I forgot to call and they called me a month later.. seems way easier :D

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I forgot to call and they called me a month later.. seems way easier :D
Wow, I want to hear the rest of this story. Were they friendly? How did they know you were back in the US? My understanding was that a pretty big fine could be assessed.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wow, I want to hear the rest of this story. Were they friendly? How did they know you were back in the US? My understanding was that a pretty big fine could be assessed.
And you should ask how Jack (@latitudeadjuster ) pulled it off too. He blew off FL as well...

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Wasn't really a big deal, officer called asked if I forgot something.. I was like ah oh yeah. He asked when we made it back. Said thank you for filing a float plan have a nice day. Apparently happens all the time. Might also add everyone onboard had svrs.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
And you should ask how Jack (@latitudeadjuster ) pulled it off too. He blew off FL as well...
"Only an agent can permit you to leave the marina or airport to report at a later time"

Seemed legit....lol

I was worried as crap! I mean it bothered me bad. Guy was cool, even asked about out trip.....I told him @Bruce brought back 12 gallons of rum and he let me off the hook.....lmao...kidding but the agent was awesome on the phone.

We did have to go to our local airport small craft side....reminded me of @swatski ,....lmao....so that was 3 hours, prolly woulda been easier staying the night in Ft. Lauderdale....next time I will have it planned better for reentry.

oh we didn't have svrs....smh

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I bet the agent was female. Can't believe they all fall for your nonsense. You must have lowered your voice? :D
Agent was female....I plead out a deal and sent her a picture of my dinghy.....LOL

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
2016 was the first year that we had any delay with customs on the US side. For 2017 I am going to let them know when we plan to return and the size of the group months in advance.
So do they take you as a group or split everyone up? Seems simpler to take as a group but then ask individuals the questions. One call instead of a bunch at the same time.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So do they take you as a group or split everyone up? Seems simpler to take as a group but then ask individuals the questions. One call instead of a bunch at the same time.
Each captain is supposed to call in to report their arrival. I personally wouldn't want to be the one call in for a group of people.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
When you call in you report your crew and yourself giving the agent all the info out of each persons passport. Then you show in person to prove you didn't sell your kids over seas....lol

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Clearing Customs and Immigration on Your Return to the US.

When a private vessel arrives at a port of call in the United States, the Master or Captain of the vessel must report their arrival immediately upon first landfall to US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) by calling the following toll free number or visiting the following website:

1.800.432.1216 www.cbp.gov (MAKE SURE YOU CALL BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE MARINA)

The Captain will be directed to the nearest Port of Entry and must physically present him/herself and their passengers for admission to the US. In the past the location we had to go is the Port Everglades Customs office 1800 Eller Drive Suite 104, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316.

The issue in 2016 was that we were making so many calls that it was taking a long time, in some cases and hour or more, to have our calls answered.

Last edited:

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Clearing Customs and Immigration on Yout Return to the US.

When a private vessel arrives at a port of call in the United States, the Master or Captain of the vessel must report their arrival immediately upon first landfall to US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) by calling the following toll free number or visiting the following website:

The Captain will be directed to the nearest Port of Entry and must physically present him/herself and their passengers for admission to the US. In the past the location we had to go is the Port Everglades Customs office 1800 Eller Drive Suite 104, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316.

The issue in 2016 was that we were making so many calls that it was taking a long time, in some cases and hour or more, to have our calls answered.
@DieselCamel had a better idea...make them call you....lmao

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@DieselCamel had a better idea...make them call you....lmao
The civil penalty for the master of the vessel for even accidentally entering the US without clearing is $5,000 for the first offense and $10,000 after that. If it was intentional then the criminal penalty adds $2,000 to $10,000 in additional fines and 1 to 5 years in prison. If any merchandise (souvineers) are on board it can get even more expensive.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/19/1436

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Clearing Customs and Immigration on Your Return to the US.

Has anyone tried this?
If making this trip often, may be worth the one time hassle to register. I'm a Global Entry guy so no need for in-person interview.
With the frustration we all had in '16 returning (packs of us, waiting on hold), might be better to have the family go do a face to face with an appt, to avoid the need when arriving back in FL.

I'll report back what happens with my registration...

U.S. Customs and Border Protection announced May 3 a voluntary online reporting tool to expedite participating boaters entry into the U.S. The Small Vessel Reporting System allows international boaters to pre-register with CBP rather than report for inspection upon arrival in the U.S. making the reporting process easier and faster.

Boat owners and passengers can take advantage of the free registration by filling out an online application and scheduling a visit to an enrollment center near them. Boat owners or passengers who are currently members of a CBP Trusted Traveler Program (e.g. NEXUS or Global Entry), or who hold a current form I-68, can enroll without visiting an enrollment center.

The system is open to all U.S. citizens and permanent residents, as well as Canadian citizens and landed immigrants who are citizens of visa waiver countries.

Once enrolled, boat owners file a small vessel reporting float plan prior to their entry into the U.S. When filing the plan, the filer will receive a float plan number. On arrival in the U.S., masters can then call CBP at the closest Port of Entry with the float plan number, answer a few customs questions and receive clearance to enter the U.S.

Passengers must register individually to be cleared quickly into the U.S. through the new system. Passengers who have not preregistered with CBP through the Small Vessel Reporting System must still report in person to a CBP facility.

https://www.dvidshub.net/audio/27282/cbp-announces-new-small-vessel-reporting-system

https://svrs.cbp.dhs.gov/Default.aspx

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone tried this?
Many do register with CPB / SVRS That is exactly what @DieselCamel's crew had done.

Unfortunately all the interview centers are 8 hours or more from my family so we spend the hour to clear customs in Fort Lauderdale.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In 2015, I called when I got into the turning basin and got through right away. In 2016 I called a couple hours after the group had arrived and I was on hold for about 2 hrs. We drove to the CBP office and sat in their waiting room while waiting to get through on the phone. I think that something was wrong with their system in 2016. The CBP agents even tried calling from their office phone and couldn't get through.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The civil penalty for the master of the vessel for even accidentally entering the US without clearing is $5,000 for the first offense and $10,000 after that. If it was intentional then the criminal penalty adds $2,000 to $10,000 in additional fines and 1 to 5 years in prison. If any merchandise (souvineers) are on board it can get even more expensive.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/19/1436
You can also be released by an agent on the phone and report to your local small craft airport/customs office....regardless of SVRS....depending on agent availability. That place was slam packed when we got back.

Like @Glen and I mentioned...we will start calling the moment we see land....lol

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Do you know what the penalty is for not reporting in to the Bahamas? They can keep take ownership of your craft....now wouldn't that suck!!!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you know what the penalty is for not reporting in to the Bahamas? They can keep take ownership of your craft....now wouldn't that suck!!!
That appears to be the correct information, actually. :p

When we were waiting for our Bimini 2016 customs clearance, a group of us stroke a conversation with a nice gentleman from TX who lives in Bimini part time. We asked him if he has ever been tempted to skip Bahamian customs upon his re-entry. His answer was pretty short: "They WILL take your boat".