• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Preparing for Bimini

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it's not me I'm worried about. I'm an experienced Seaman with about 4 years of driving boats for the military. It's my family that I'm worried about that wouldn't be able to take the waves and make it a dreadful ride and get seasick on the way there. But we all get seasick it's not if you get sea sick it's when you get seasick. I would be afraid that she would never want to go again. I have a 20 foot Tahoe inboard outboard. It is a deep V the Q7 ski and fish boat. When I was stationed in Alaska I'm going out to 21 miles in a little 17 foot boat the waves were like 4 foot rollers and it was no problem at all but I didn't have my family with me it was just me and a bunch of military buddies we had a great time lots of salmon.
I would always recommend to anyone if you think your wife may not enjoy the crossing don't even risk it fly her across or let her take the ferry. If the conditions suck it will make your whole trip miserable if it starts out bad. Once there she will have a great time.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would always recommend to anyone if you think your wife may not enjoy the crossing don't even risk it fly her across or let her take the ferry. If the conditions suck it will make your whole trip miserable if it starts out bad. Once there she will have a great time.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
This is the one i believe.
https://www.frs-caribbean.com/
We need to find a discount code. For my wife and 3 kids it would be about $350 bucks and about $250 in taxes and fees. That is round trip $600, just to clarify.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is the one i believe.
https://www.frs-caribbean.com/
We need to find a discount code. For my wife and 3 kids it would be about $350 bucks and about $250 in taxes and fees. That is round trip $600, just to clarify.
That is very inexpensive compared to anything available in the past.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
That is very inexpensive compared to anything available in the past.
I wonder if that's each way then? Either way, safer no doubt.
Logistics though... departs from miami. That means wife and kids would be staying in Miami that night without me, or a car, or thier stuff. I am not so fond of that. Not that my wife can't hold her own but...

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Screenshot_20170103-170613.png
Children are cheaper than adults fyi

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Flying silver air is $222 round trip I think from Ft Lauderdale. Might be easier logistically.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wonder if that's each way then? Either way, safer no doubt.
Logistics though... departs from miami. That means wife and kids would be staying in Miami that night without me, or a car, or thier stuff. I am not so fond of that. Not that my wife can't hold her own but...
People could plan to get there a day early for people going that route and do a meet and greet with spouse and kids that will travel together. Safety in numbers kinda thing. Uber down or something together.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@upperdeck may be interested in this plan we're starting to look into. we conversed over christmas at my son renting a plane in Ft Lauderdale, flying over wife/daughter and as much gear as can be safely carried......deploy them, have them do the customs and check in stuff..and he'll solo back....should be about an hour rental.

Him and I would boat over the next morning with less gear and lesser people......we'd all boat back together.... we'll see what kind of logistics he figures out.

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The bimini "mods" start adding up! New brakes all around and tires next week. It was time for it all but better off season than in! Of course, i wanted the brakes done now and my few guys i go to were all booked up so i end up doing it myself. Hate knowing how to do things sometimes. Rust is from the Devil. I hate rusted bolts.

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@upperdeck may be interested in this plan we're starting to look into. we conversed over christmas at my son renting a plane in Ft Lauderdale, flying over wife/daughter and as much gear as can be safely carried......deploy them, have them do the customs and check in stuff..and he'll solo back....should be about an hour rental.

Him and I would boat over the next morning with less gear and lesser people......we'd all boat back together.... we'll see what kind of logistics he figures out.
From what I've learned, rental companies won't let you venture out of the countries with their aircraft unless they are chartered...

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
:winkingthumbsup":winkingthumbsup"
From what I've learned, rental companies won't let you venture out of the countries with their aircraft unless they are chartered...
Hey @upperdeck i agree and i figure if he got past that hurdle the DEA would be quite curious of a 1 hour flight to bimini and back. I'm considering this a solid research project/ learning exp for a young brain !! . Will keep you posted !!!

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
When my craft is airborn, I'd be happy to do the ferry flights of all the ladies :)
I'll pick out a nice dress that matches me eyes tomorrow!!!

1 piece or two?

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
sexy!

I think the biggest problem with doing a ferry flight is that you must have a scheduled time to cross the Air Defense Zone. Once crossing the ADZ you'd have to clear customs each time you return, at the nearest airport that has customs on the field. That too has to be scheduled. They also aren't servicing 24 hours a day, etc.

Then, there are requirements for flotation equipment, rafts, etc. which would severely limit available baggage.

Last edited:

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Now that is excellent data to build upon! Far more than anything within my knowledge and certainly more than Alec is expecting to stumble upon or be aware of !

Is this detail you've pursued or are aware of thru your local arena?

my ability to be a father to Alec on this subject matter is limited. I can only interject some logic. Its an interesting evolution Of father/son relationship as he matures !! And a welcome one !!!

Ismael hernandez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Charles attached is a document I've put together with a bunch of useful information. @Bruce @Charles has a good idea, could there be a thread stuck to the top of the Gathering section that will hold just the Bimini information. I would be more than happy to help fill the thread with information.
Hi I don't own a jet boat I have a 2000 Center console with twin engines I would like to make the trip with you is that allowed?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I researched all those options for fork lift launching. The only viable solution is http://www.banyanbaymarina.net/rates.html . All over options are either too far, no longer offer service or their fork cannot lift anything less than 27 feet.

The rates for banyanbaymarina are $205 to launch and $205 for retrieval ( prices are as of 2/6/2017). They will accommodate parking ( trailer need to be separated from truck) for $150 for 7 nights.

I also spoke with Harbour Towne Marina on the Dania Cutoff Canal. It looks like their rates have changed. $15 to use their ramp and parking is $15 per night.

Unfortunately, it seems that indeed the best option is lunch yourself and then wash the trailer

Launching From Painted Trailers

This is a partial list of area marinas that appear to offer fork lift launching services keeping your painted trailer out of the salt water. I am not aware of anyone managing to have their boat fork lift launched for the 2014 to 2016 Bimini Flings. If anyone has success with one these locations please let me know so that I can update. Thanks.

http://www.aamcmarina.com/rates/
http://www.banyanbaymarina.net/rates.html
http://boathousemc.com
http://www.lighthousemarina.com/marina-features/general-rates
http://www.billfishmarina.com/Yard_Rates.html
http://www.playboymarine.com/rates/

The best option seems to be to wash your painted trailer as thoroughly as possible after launch and retrieval.