• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Preparing for Bimini

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
OK guys laying out what I have and don't have for the trip and I REALLY don't want to install a marine radio in my boat. Handheld I am OK with but there are a ton of them, of course I want a waterproof one and it must float. I think I want to have the DSC just in case. What have you guys bought ?
I honestly do not understand why the manufacturers aren't required to installone from the factory.

Skroggy66

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
To not have a big radio in a boat for off shore in my opinion is nuts. You just don't have the range with a handheld. Basically a handheld is just for communicating to other boats nearby. Once off shore you will not be able to get more than 10-12 miles Max with a hand held. Thanks standing on top of your roof. A rubber duck antenna just does not give it the radiating power. You need a permanent radio mounted with a good antenna. A handheld is great for communicating within a harbor and with boats right next to you.
I just like my cockpit nice and clean and already going have a chart plotter, just will have to look at some installs and see what I like I guess. I agree if I was going solo but I hoped to be covered going in a group. Anyone got any pics of how they installed their radios? Something I can do or should I take it to a dealer 4 month old boat?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Skroggy66 I purchased the radio that Bruce suggested and I am thinking to do a temporary mount. I am only going to use it for Bimini, so I wanted to be a less invasive as possible. Right now, I am planing to run 2 metal plates from the Chart plotter ( see picture). I am not sure how it will hold up in 3 feet waves though. I will test it in April and see how it handles on other boats wakes.

Attachments

Skroggy66

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Skroggy66 I purchased the radio that Bruce suggested and I am thinking to do a temporary mount. I am only going to use it for Bimini, so I wanted to be a less invasive as possible. Right now, I am planing to run 2 metal plates from the Chart plotter ( see picture). I am not sure how it will hold up in 3 feet waves though. I will test it in April and see how it handles on other boats wakes.
Looks good but I am not sure how it will do up on my dash, I can't put my chart plotter where you have yours it would block my screen. I will never use it except when I am in the ocean and 95% of the time I am just on the ICW and a hand held would do fine. I will rig something up because I will want to remove it until @Bruce decides when we are going in 2018. They are not expensive so that is not the problem, maybe the passenger side would be better and out of my way.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
T
I just like my cockpit nice and clean and already going have a chart plotter, just will have to look at some installs and see what I like I guess. I agree if I was going solo but I hoped to be covered going in a group. Anyone got any pics of how they installed their radios? Something I can do or should I take it to a dealer 4 month old boat?

This is where it was installed in my boat. It is right next to the kill switch on driver side and away from everything.

IMG_5349.JPG

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You might at to check with MrMouse. Last year he had a handheld with fixed antenna on it. But this year I think he is installing a permanent one

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Skroggy66, I'm with you. I have the same hull/helm config as you do, so my perspective will directly apply. The only time that I need a VHF or chart plotter is when I go to Bimini. So, my installs are semi-permanent, in that my tower-mounted vhf antenna unscrews and is easily packed away. My chart plotter removes/installs (Ram mount) in a few minutes, and my vhf radio is the same (except for the mounting bracket). I spliced power from the accessory outlet in the helm. Easy peasy, works perfectly when I need it, and you'd never know it was there when I don't.
Here's a pic to give you an idea:
upload_2017-3-14_14-16-29.png

Skroggy66

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Skroggy66, I'm with you. I have the same hull/helm config as you do, so my perspective will directly apply. The only time that I need a VHF or chart plotter is when I go to Bimini. So, my installs are semi-permanent, in that my tower-mounted vhf antenna unscrews and is easily packed away. My chart plotter removes/installs (Ram mount) in a few minutes, and my vhf radio is the same (except for the mounting bracket). I spliced power from the accessory outlet in the helm. Easy peasy, works perfectly when I need it, and you'd never know it was there when I don't.
Here's a pic to give you an idea:
View attachment 52681
That is exactly what I wanted to see, where did you run your antenna cable outside the hull? Going to use Navionics on my tablet and I have a backup marine GPS. @MrMoose

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is exactly what I wanted to see, where did you run your antenna cable outside the hull? Going to use Navionics on my tablet and I have a backup marine GPS. @MrMoose
@Skroggy66, the antenna cable exits the bottom of the radio. I do not run it inside of the hull. It runs along the cockpit shell until it hits the backrest of the starboard bench seat. I pass it behind the starboard bench seat and it pops out at the tower, then I run it up the tower to the antenna. I mounted the antenna onto my tower using a bomb wake flag holder that I modified by threading the outside surface using a die. So, the tower mount stays in place year round. Sometimes it has a flag pole stuck in it, sometimes, it has a vhf antenna screwed onto it. <mike drop>:)

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
To not have a big radio in a boat for off shore in my opinion is nuts. You just don't have the range with a handheld. Basically a handheld is just for communicating to other boats nearby. Once off shore you will not be able to get more than 10-12 miles Max with a hand held. Thanks standing on top of your roof. A rubber duck antenna just does not give it the radiating power. You need a permanent radio mounted with a good antenna. A handheld is great for communicating within a harbor and with boats right next to you.

Though technically right, believe this to be incomplete.

For a near shore boat like ours, I don't prefer to install a large antenna and fixed radio. Frankly, most powerboaters don't have them or use them. (My inner sailor is trying not to be too judgmental.)

My answer to date, in prep for Bimini '16 was in the picture below.

Handheld for near convenience & safety, DeLorme for distant safety.

I may install a fixed system this year, but only b/c of added 'leadership' responsibilities.

Don't forget, there is safety in the group. As long as you stay with the group, and the group has long distance comms, you have access and safety.

Attachments

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I would rather "over prepare" than "under prepare" especially when there are high chances of unpredictability.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For anybody considering a temporary vhf antenna mount, I threaded the outside of my BombWake flag holder so that I can screw the antenna onto it when I want to use it.
I originally did this for the 2016 Bimini trip where I hooked my handheld up to a 4 foot antenna. I can't say whether it worked better than a regular handheld, but I can say that I was over 10 miles out of Bimini and Bruce hailed me from the marina. I could hear him clearly, but he could not hear me, so I assume that my little 6W handheld didn't have the power to transmit that distance. It's for this reason that I've installed (semi-permanent) a fixed vhf this year.
With flag pole stuck in it.
upload_2017-3-17_8-29-13.png

About to screw the antenna onto it:
upload_2017-3-17_8-30-33.png

Antenna installed:
upload_2017-3-17_8-27-32.png
Here's the thread from last year:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/super-mod-wake-tower-flag-holder-and-vhf-antenna-holder-all-in-one.9172/#post-158527

The thing that I like about this set up is that it doesn't interfere with the operation of the bimini top. The wake tower bracket stays installed year-round; it either has a flag pole in it, or it has an antenna screwed onto it for the Bimini crossing.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is there any particular battery harness that you use for holding the batteries in place ( 2x Group 27) while crossing for Bimini? Although, my batteries are boxed up, I am bit worried about them staying stationary. The mounts, do you not seem strong enough for rough seas.

If you wonder why I ask ?? Well, while working on my batteries today, I successfully broke one the plastic mounts that the harness passes through in order to hold the batteries in place. If I can brake it, I cannot imagine what 3 feet seas will do.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Betik, my batteries are in boxes with a 800 pound ratchet strap that is screwed to the floor run up th side and across the top holding them securely in place. I use the same method to hold a 16 gallon water tank on the opposite side. Both have remained stable through three years of Bimini crossings.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce the set up I have is very similar, but without the ratchet straps. Just a 2 inch harness with a plastic buckle.
What kind of gauge screws are you using to secure the ratchet straps on the floor? Did you use any epoxy on the screws when you screwed them to the floor?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce the set up I have is very similar, but without the ratchet straps. Just a 2 inch harness with a plastic buckle.
What kind of gauge screws are you using to secure the ratchet straps on the floor? Did you use any epoxy on the screws when you screwed them to the floor?
I've always screwed the box itself to the floor in 4 spots.... nothing fancy but 4 screws and fender washers will hold the box through any rough conditions. That way you can use the nylon strap that came with the box to keep the lid secure.

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone know if the liquor store on north Bimini has other liquor reasonably priced besides rum?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does anyone know if the liquor store on north Bimini has other liquor reasonably priced besides rum?
They have a lot of options and are very well stocked. The rum and Kalik is local. Everything else is imported.

My only experience buying imported products was a bottle of Night Train that I bought for a local who promised to send a seafood guy to Bimini Sands. I remember it being less than the rum, 5 maybe 7 dollars.

You could call them at 242-347-3202 to ask about pricing. Please report back if you do.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like Butler and Sands is now renamed 700 Wines and Spriits http://700winesandspirits.com/

I believe the chain is owned by the rum distiller.