• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Preparing for Bimini

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone know what they mean by "Snaps Uninstalled", I assume one comes with snaps to screw into the boat, and one does not. But it isn't clear to me which is which.....I would assume from the price that the more expensive one has the snaps to screw into the boat....but their description isn't the most obvious! Why not say:
Bow Cover-New Install (with snaps)
Bow Cover-Existing install (no boat side snaps)

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I have a bow cover ( never used till now) that snaps onto the boat. The boat is surrounded by knobs that the cover snaps into. Atttached is a picture.

20160527_135500.jpg

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Julian you are correct. The "uninstalled" is for there is nothing on the boat and you have to put a boat cover for the very first time. That is what I got after I spoke with the customer service.
I think MrMouse have write up for it. I pretty much did what he did.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/just-ordered-a-bow-cover-for-the-bimini-crossing.8249/

@Amar Nanduri
High Water Alert --- Is it a sensor that you fix to the boat?
I think Julian has write up about the high water alert.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/bilge-alarm-install-know-if-youve-had-a-blowout.624/#post-7109

It looks like the bow cover that you have is exactly what I was talking about. Mind you I am not a expert at all, but the bow cover in Bimini context is to reduce the amount of water you take over the bow ( apparently good idea for newbies who put their boat on reverse). I think Andy puts an inflated tube underneath to provide support in case you take a big wave. In terms of storage, I believe it works fine as long as don't put anything heavy on bow ( refer to the 2015 incident) .

Abanton ship bag - What is this for ?
This is a really easy to grab bag with survival stuff inside. For me it will probably be right underneath the passenger seat. It will have enough supplies to make sure my 2 kids are okay for 48 hours. I will probably put inside things such our passports, truck keys etc. That way if it comes to abandoning ship, I could walk/swim away by saying "oh well!!!, now who is excited about the helicopter ride with the coast guard?"

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was going through the FAQ and noticed that quite a lot of people replaced their scupper valve. Is this something I need to do for my 2010 AR240 ? I have a second bilge pump installed in my boat. If I need to do this, might as well get started on this as we are getting closer to the 60 day mark. What parts to buy exactly for my boat? Much appreciated.

Thanks
Amar
No, your scupper is above the waterline.

I take a spare set of spark plugs, a few quarts of oil, fuses, a stick of marine epoxy, a spare battery for the handheld VHF(s) and spare stainless hose clamps for the trip.

shaun lawson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I assume I can just stop as I enter Florida and pick up a temp Sun Pass to take the toll rd from Tallahassee to Fort Lauderdale??

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yes. I got mine at Walgreens.
Then go onto sunpass.com and register.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They also bill by plate for a few cents more. I think you can get one right away but it may take 24 hrs to work is what the package says.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Florida's Turnpike gas stations sell them as well. I bought one in the gas station for $10 and used the app to set it up.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2 general questions.

1. I have noticed on a lot of crossing videos that the majority of the boats have their Biminis fully deployed. Given that the sun is weak ( 6 am to 10 am) and it is coming less than 45 degrees from the bow, why we deploy the Biminis? Isn't that bad for fuel consumption?
2. How strong are the Bimini frames on an 2012 SX240 for mounting an 8 foot VHF antenna ? Either with the bimini fully deployed or tacked ? I tried it this weekend on the lake at 35 MPG and it seems rather strong, but I figured I check.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1. The sun is significantly more intense down there. You don't want to start the trip with a sunburn it also may deflect some spray that would otherwise hit your crew.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
1. The sun is significantly more intense down there. You don't want to start the trip with a sunburn it also may deflect some spray that would otherwise hit your crew.
Spray from above? Either way i am glad i bought the bimini for my tower! Stays still in the chop! Factory bimini seemed to want to bounce side to side a lot.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is there a plan for medical emergency for the trip?
ie. closest hospitals that you would trust your kids with ( Bahamas, Miami or Ft. Ldl ), furthest distance US cost guard will respond etc.

I will start doing some research this week, but if there is something, I will like to build on it.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Is there a plan for medical emergency for the trip?
ie. closest hospitals that you would trust your kids with ( Bahamas, Miami or Ft. Ldl ), furthest distance US cost guard will respond etc.

I will start doing some research this week, but if there is something, I will like to build on it.
Every major trauma will need to be an air lift to miami or ft Lauderdale. Bimini does have limited medical and by that when i looked into it it was more like a few doctors for a few islands. Coast guard will hear you a pretty good ways out, espe ially with a built in vhf and a good antenna.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Betik, our group has only used Bimini's medical services once. In 2014 a guy was showing off a stingray he had speared that was less dead than he believed. He ended up with the stinger stuck in his foot. Please do not think of the rays as dangerous. Feeding them will be one of the highlight of the trip.

Friends transported him by boat to Bimini Sands who called the local Police. The police picked him up in a jeep to transport him to the water taxi then transferred him to the North Bimini Police jeep. They went to a doctors home who sent them to a nurses home. Everyone went to the medical clinic where the barb was removed by the nurse and the patient was given antibiotics.

In 2015 a young lady cut her foot on the Sapona but waited a few days to seek medical attention in the US.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We were scoping boat ramps at lake texoma yesterday and Ajax got bitten by some sort of insect. He got a good size swollen again. Although he is still in antibiotic.
I promised Claire to have an emergency plan in place in case a Bimini insect is about to send him to an anaphylactic shock.
I am bit hesitant about the medical clinic in Bimini because last week he was not responding to oral or antibiotic shots. He had to be admitted at the children's hospital for IV antibiotics.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Betik , do you guys have an emergency epinephrine pen? If not, call his doctor and get one. They are not cheap, but when we got the bees, we had our doctor prescribe them for an emergency. Ours came with two pens with each script. Supposedly, one pen to stop the shock, and the second to extend until you can get to the hospital. They will use the same thing, but in an IV drip. In any case, based on your ER visit and now additional reaction to a sting, I would think a pen would be in your everyday arsenal. And it would certainly give Claire more peace of mind. I'll be following the adventure to Bimini, hoping fair winds and following seas for everyone! And...DON'T SINK THE BLUE YONDER!!! lol

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Betik, I am sorry that he is having such trouble with insect bites. Hopefully his body will adapt to them.

Based on my understanding of what has happened so far it sounds like we would have plenty of opportunity to boat him back to the US if needed. If not there is a list of phone numbers for medical air transport on the condo doors. I will add some of that info here.