• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Preparing for Bimini

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's my favorite question about Bimini yet. :wacky: Lol.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What is the limit on the amount of beer you can bring in? I searched for this to no avail....my brother and I are beer drinkers....(although he'll drink whiskey/vodka etc too)
The unofficial, island time answer is; I am not aware of anyone having trouble bringing any amount of beer in. @ACrews is the only one who has ever been boarded and that was just to check how much steak he had. If a customs officer complained about how much you had you could offer him a case.

The official answer as I read the rules is a pint before you start paying import duty.

My family sticks to drinking local alcohol. The rum is cheap and plentiful. The beer (Kalik) is good but crazy expensive.

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What is the limit on the amount of beer you can bring in? I searched for this to no avail....my brother and I are beer drinkers....(although he'll drink whiskey/vodka etc too)
I'd have to refer the alcohol to @Bruce. We had only took a case & they never even asked to look at our alcohol or tobacco stash.

I must note that the above mentioned "case of beer" was nowhere near enough. Our unofficial/official spontaneous beach party in from of the infinity pool rid us of said case within a few short hrs! Good times! Haha

Kalik is pricey compared to the local rum, but no comparison to American beer. A 6 pack of Coors Light was over $20 at the Sands ship store.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@txav8r after cracking Yonder's hull last week, I feel it is unsinkable. At least not in the weather I will be willing to bring my family on onboard. This weekend I also flooded the cockpit and measured the time it took to drain. I think she is safe just not a virgin anymore. We have scheduled a follow up with the doc a week prior to leaving for florida. I will brink the need for emergency epi shot.

@Bruce you assessment is correct. Based on his response time, we should have enough time to bring him back in to Florida. Hopefully, I will not have to set the new record time from Bimini to Florida, LOL.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The unofficial, island time answer is; I am not aware of anyone having trouble bringing any amount of beer in. @ACrews is the only one who has ever been boarded and that was just to check how much steak he had. If a customs officer complained about how much you had you could offer him a case.

The official answer as I read the rules is a pint before you start paying import duty.

My family sticks to drinking local alcohol. The rum is cheap and plentiful. The beer (Kalik) is good but crazy expensive.
I suppose if we have too much, we can have a spontaneous "Quarantine Party", pay the duty (which would likely be less than their beer cost) or donate it to the inspector!

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
$50 for a case of cheap beer while in Bimini. For what it's worth, a case of water there is $48!

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Beer is expensive but spirits are not ?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't even carry any liquor across unless you drink of preference is something unusual. Dock at Big Game Club check into customer walk back down past Big Game Club the Liquor Store will be on your right stock up there then head back to the sands. If beer is your preference as others mention there is a significant cost difference and it maybe worth carrying.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is the info I have gathered so far about Medical emergency and what I plan to use for our family.

Life/Death situation ( emergency room required )

Option #1 There seems to be info on medical air lift Bimini Sands condos.
1-631-662-5425 http://www.horizonairambulance.com/air-ambulance-na-specific-cities.php?city=south-bimini&state=&id_city=3407

1.800.222.5433 http://www.medflight.com/

Option #2 SOS feature on inreach devices. GEOS RESPONSE (Garmin’s subcontractor) will coordinate with Coast Guard or private party for rescue. For more info you can call them at (832) 799 6322 (business hours). You might want to consider testing your SOS feature. If you decide to do so, please use the attached form.

OPTIONS #3 Coast Guard on channel 16 (MAYDAY) , #people on board, Position, vessel description.

https://www.uscg.mil/d11/dr/CallingTheCG.asp

The Cost Guard should be able to pick signal at least 30 miles out. Helicopters have 180-300 mile range, so we should be covered. I believe you might need to be outside of Bahamas waters for the US Coast guard to respond.

Got to get in the hospital kind of situation ( debating between emergency room & urgent care)

Option #1 Medical professional in Bimini

Option #2 SOS feature on inreach devices. GEOS RESPONSE (Garmin’s subcontractor) will coordinate with Coast Guard or private party for rescue. For more info you can call them at (832) 799 6322 (business hours). You might want to consider testing your SOS feature. If you decide to do so, please use the attached form.

OPTIONS #3 Coast Guard on channel 16 (PAN PAN) , #people on board, Position, vessel description.

https://www.uscg.mil/d11/dr/CallingTheCG.asp

The Cost Guard should be able to pick signal at least 30 miles out. Helicopters have 180-300 mile range, so we should be covered. I believe you might need to be outside of Bahamas waters for the US Coast guard to respond.

OPTIONS #4 Broward Heath Medical Center Sail to florida and take the sick person straight to a US hospital ( it makes logistics so much easier) .

· Head for Florida as you normally would ( make sure your boat is FULL ON FUEL)

· As soon as you get cellphone signal call a yellow cab (954) 507 2311 ( response time 10-30 minutes average 15 minutes). Tell them to wait for you at Southport Bar 1536 CORDOVA road

· Give Broward Hospital a heads up. Call 954 355 4400

· Enter Ft. Lauderdale ( Port Everglades ) from the same entrance that you left for Bimini.

· Once you enter, head North (turn right)

· Pass underneath the bridge ( A1A/ SE 17th st) and take first West channel ( turn Left)

· Head west at the end of Channel ( between SE 15th street and SE 16th street). You will dead end at Southport Raw Bar ( 1536 Cordoba Rd).

· Hopefully the cab is waiting for you. If not, the hospital is 4,000 feet ( 20 minutes of normal walk)

· From the hospital call the customs

OPTIONS #5 Fly back to US ( it makes logistics so much easier) .

Flights out of Bimini for FLL ( applicable for 2017 Fling only)
  • Monday July 1oth 1:08pm
  • Tuesday July 11th 12:49pm
  • Wednesday July 12th 1:08pm
  • Thursday July 13th 1:08pm & 5:00pm
  • Friday July 14th 10:09am
  • Saturday July 15th 10:41am
Note that other flights might be available.

For some of us prevention might be cheaper solution
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/alcohol-poisoning/symptoms-causes/dxc-20211603

Attachments

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
This should be in FAQ as it will be useful in any situation

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We took 16 12/packs of beer last year. 12 the year before. You should have no worries @Julian . ;)

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Look who is in Bimini!!!! Maybe they will have a boat give-a-way when y'all get there!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Betik , I should have referred to it as an "Epipen". And it would be an easy thing to always have with Ajax. But they are not cheap, used to be, but manufacturer has been gouging for a year or more. That said, if you google search where to get it through a best price service, you will find CVS is 100% cheaper than other places and the pen (2) costs about $150, and your insurance will pick up whatever it picks up. I kind of expected my $20 copay, but it cost me $75.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Look who is in Bimini!!!! Maybe they will have a boat give-a-way when y'all get there!

LOL, the Sapona on a windy day is one of the toughest spots to anchor in Bimini. Add a little wind and they would be dragging all over the place.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Broward County Idle and Slow Speed Zones

Much of the intercoastal along with its tributaries and canals is posted as either "Idle Speed" or "Slow Speed" areas. Many of us have been pulled over for as little as 7 MPH in these areas. The idle speed area south of Lake Mable is heavily patrolled. The study guide for a Florida Boating licenses defines these areas as;

“Idle Speed, No Wake” Zone - A designated area where vessels must be operated at a speed no greater than that which is necessary to maintain steerage and headway. The vessel should not produce a wake at this speed

“Slow Speed, Minimum Wake” Zone - Areas where vessels must be fully off plane and completely settled in the water. Any wake created by a vessel in one of these zones must be minimal (very small). If your vessel is traveling with the bow even slightly elevated while in one of these zones, it is not proceeding at “Slow Speed” as required by law.

A printable map of these zones is available from http://myfwc.com/media/1607055/ManateeBrowardRuleMaps.pdf . Pages 5 & 6 cover the areas we most often use. Pages 3 & 4 may become relevant for 2017.

Attachments

Jadams0527

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Betik also check on the generic just released earlier this year. It's the same epinephrine by the same MFG Mylan but a heck of a lot cheaper. Also, you may want more than a 2pack in that typical auto injector is only suppose to last ~ 30-40min (each shot) to give the patient enough time to get to the ER in "regular" instances. One of my sons is anaphylactic to certain foods so we are always carrying them. Also, don't forget a water proof pack for them as the cases look like they'd seal, but they don't. Crazy prides on these for the $10 of medicine inside. But really cheap when you need them especially for kids.

rsrlegends

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Broward County Idle and Slow Speed Zones

Much of the intercoastal along with its tributaries and canals is posted as either "Idle Speed" or "Slow Speed" areas. Many of us have been pulled over for as little as 7 MPH in these areas. The idle speed area south of Lake Mable is heavily patrolled. The study guide for a Florida Boating licenses defines these areas as;

“Idle Speed, No Wake” Zone - A designated area where vessels must be operated at a speed no greater than that which is necessary to maintain steerage and headway. The vessel should not produce a wake at this speed

“Slow Speed, Minimum Wake” Zone - Areas where vessels must be fully off plane and completely settled in the water. Any wake created by a vessel in one of these zones must be minimal (very small). If your vessel is traveling with the bow even slightly elevated while in one of these zones, it is not proceeding at “Slow Speed” as required by law.

A printable map of these zones is available from http://myfwc.com/media/1607055/ManateeBrowardRuleMaps.pdf . Pages 5 & 6 cover the areas we most often use. Pages 3 & 4 may become relevant for 2017.
Page 3 & 4? Are you guys looking for alternative ramps north?