• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Preparing for Bimini

LayneG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does anyone have pictures of how they tied down gas cans, coolers, etc for the Bimini trip? I've seen some somewhere but now I can't find them.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@LayneG here was how mine was set up

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe @Julian can chime in. I believe he run a ratchet strap with the fuel cans at the lower deck of the swim platform.

A few people have put fuel can in the ski locker or behind the dashboard. In this case though you have to make 100% sure it is not leaking ( fuel or vapors)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Does anyone have pictures of how they tied down gas cans, coolers, etc for the Bimini trip? I've seen some somewhere but now I can't find them.
Below is a photo of what I did(this was on the return- 2 cans were empty so I only used one strap. On the return you always use less gas as you are going with the waves, wind and current)

I took 3 five gallon gas cans and lined them up with the handles facing the stern and put them on the lower swim platform (right behind the handle on the swim step). The photo above only has one strap, but on the way out when I they were all full, I used 3 straps - probably overkill - just to make sure they wouldn't move. I put them on the lower platform so that we would be able to access the clean out ports to clean our sargasso weeds. I didn't want them inside the boat because I didn't want the fumes risk.

LayneG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Make sure you get gas cans without all those stupid government "save the world" regulated nozzles that cause you to spill more gas than what goes into the tank! Filling up in2-3 foot seas is tough enough, you don't need additional problems. There are aftermarket nozzles you can buy to improve the operation and flow.

LayneG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the help on the gas cans! How/where is everyone securing their coolers?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Those are real heavy and usually do not go anywhere but I secure mine at the end of cockpit with line through the rear rails.

If you search on YouTube “ boat 011 bimini crossing back to Florida short version “ you will be able to get an idea.

Sorry for not posting the link , but I do not want to use this thread for YouTube videos

LayneG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Those are real heavy and usually do not go anywhere but I secure mine at the end of cockpit with line through the rear rails.

If you search on YouTube “ boat 011 bimini crossing back to Florida short version “ you will be able to get an idea.

Sorry for not posting the link , but I do not want to use this thread for YouTube videos
Thanks! I see it in the bottom corner of the video.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I found this tip watching one of these videos. I installed these little brackets (2 on each side of the seat) and will use 2 tie-down straps to secure the gas cans (or coolers) to them. Think it's a great idea.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I found this tip watching one of these videos. I installed these little brackets (2 on each side of the seat) and will use 2 tie-down straps to secure the gas cans (or coolers) to them. Think it's a great idea.

View attachment 95549
Not bad! Good placement

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

I have to disagree there @Betik.
We had a 45qt Artic filled all the way, I couldn’t lift it. Sitting in the front of the cabin. By the time we made it to West End it was sitting in the back of the cabin.
If the waves are bad enough they will move.

LayneG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have to disagree there @Betik.
We had a 45qt Artic filled all the way, I couldn’t lift it. Sitting in the front of the cabin. By the time we made it to West End it was sitting in the back of the cabin.
If the waves are bad enough they will move.
I found out on the crossing I made Thursday that everything moves and you just have to let it go. I couldn’t even take a drink from a water bottle, much less try to move something around on the boat.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I found out on the crossing I made Thursday that everything moves and you just have to let it go. I couldn’t even take a drink from a water bottle, much less try to move something around on the boat.
I know, right? lol. It can be hard to appreciate from a different perspective.
Everything moves in these boats, even things that should not move, lol.
And refueling a yammie from a 5gal jag in rough seas is even less trivial.

--

LayneG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know, right? lol. It can be hard to appreciate from a different perspective.
Everything moves in these boats, even things that should not move, lol.
And refueling a yammie from a 5gal jag in rough seas is even less trivial.

--
Absolutely! We even found a couple small bolts on the floor under the front seats.