• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Preparing for Bimini

jethrof16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You are one ahead of me bro. I’m just trying to make sense of all the legaleeez. Bottom line, if for some reason we need to send out a distress call, I want to make sure it is received and we get the help we need.

jethrof16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@jethrof16, a full registration would allow the information associated with your MMSI to be available to foreign and US rescue services.

If you get rescued by a government agency in Bimini it will be the US Coast Guard. Official Bahamian vessels are rarely active there.

Up to you on how much hassle that your want to go through. I registered through BoatUS and that has been sufficient for five trips to Bimini.
Valuable information Bruce, thanks for sharing. What about Abaco and Exuma? If it would be useful there it makes sense to go ahead and apply now.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
While you might get a US Coast Guard response to DSC near Bimini any response in Abaco or Exhuma is more likely to be civilian.

I carry an inReach satellite transponder in the boat while in the ocean. Being VHF range limited I do not place a lot of hope on DSC.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Valuable information Bruce, thanks for sharing. What about Abaco and Exuma? If it would be useful there it makes sense to go ahead and apply now.
If you’re going that far out, get an EPIRB or PLB. That combined with a sat phone and VHF, and you can always get help.

jethrof16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
While you might get a US Coast Guard response to DSC near Bimini any response in Abaco or Exhuma is more likely to be civilian.

I carry an inReach satellite transponder in the boat while in the ocean. Being VHF range limited I do not place a lot of hope on DSC.
Agree, I would have a SAT phone for any trip like that.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agree, I would have a SAT phone for any trip like that.
I prefer the inReach, Spot or a traditional EPIRB. Something tough and a single button to issue a distress call.

jethrof16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I prefer the inReach, Spot or a traditional EPIRB. Something tough and a single button to issue a distress call.
I do like all the features of the inReach. Thanks for the recommendation!

BigT51

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone looked at or tried the new Zoleo satellite communicator? It's less than $200 but no tracking capabilities. It does have single button SOS distress message.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone looked at or tried the new Zoleo satellite communicator? It's less than $200 but no tracking capabilities. It does have single button SOS distress message.
The service plans appear to be more expensive on Zoleo.

I bought my inReach SE off of eBay for around $200. It handled five summers of Bimini trips well. I plan to replace the battery or replace it before my next Bimini trip. I see several used inReaches for less than $100 on eBay now.

jethrof16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here is my test fit of my Digital Antenna 528 using a Shakespeare 4188SL rail mount ratchet bracket. What I like is that it can stay connected to the boat at all times and I only plain to raise it straight up when traveling off shore or needing to talk longer distances on the lake. The antenna wire comes permanently attached to the base which is great for corrosion BUT on the downside to take the antenna completely off I will have to pull the wire through the tower tubes. I really like the setup but it will be a PITA if I have to temporarily remove it for some unforseable reason. Thoughts?

Attachments

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is my test fit of my Digital Antenna 528 using a Shakespeare 4188SL rail mount ratchet bracket. What I like is that it can stay connected to the boat at all times and I only plain to raise it straight up when traveling off shore or needing to talk longer distances on the lake. The antenna wire comes permanently attached to the base which is great for corrosion BUT on the downside to take the antenna completely off I will have to pull the wire through the tower tubes. I really like the setup but it will be a PITA if I have to temporarily remove it for some unforseable reason. Thoughts?
Looks nice. A thin piece of rubber under the clamp is a good idea to stop from scratching the powder coat and opening a corrosion wound.

jethrof16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looks nice. A thin piece of rubber under the clamp is a good idea to stop from scratching the powder coat and opening a corrosion wound.
Awesome idea 💡. Thanks Murf

Eglz2020

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
@Charles attached is a document I've put together with a bunch of useful information. @Bruce @Charles has a good idea, could there be a thread stuck to the top of the Gathering section that will hold just the Bimini information. I would be more than happy to help fill the thread with information.
Any tips crossing on a pwc

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Know your fuel mileage/range to know the exact amount of extra fuel to carry, you will probably have to carry 5 extra gallons of fuel to ensure you have enough, 2 - 2.5 gallons cans are easier to handle on a pwc than 1 - 5 gallon.

Don't push your speed faster than you can handle, falling off the pwc in the fast moving gulf stream will make it difficult to get back to your pwc.

Make sure your thighs are covered, 2 to 4 hours of sun exposure can be painful.

Wear goggles or some type of secure eye protection, you will get wave in the face.

If you are carrying a gps make sure it is extremely secure and it has a safety lanyard attached to the pwc.

Others that have also crossed on a pwc might have more info, @robert843 @JRob @Ramblin Wreck @Valerie

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Diybrad

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This may have been answered in the 15 pages but has anyone had issues with having gear/gas cans/etc stolen from their boats while docked or is it best practice to take everything off and store in the rooms at night?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Diybrad, I believe @MrMoose ‘s Come and Take It flag was the only thing that has been stolen from our boats during stays at Bimini Sands. However I have never left excess items on the boat.

There have been several boat thefts from North Bimini marinas in recent years.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I only took the keys away from out boat during my 2017 trip and aside from incident mentioned by @Bruce I do not recall another similar incident.

Unless you are a seasoned sailor, I would strongly recommend that you take the time to read the previous 14 pages. At the end of the day, you are taking a class D boat to class B environment ( if not A).

Diybrad

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I only took the keys away from out boat during my 2017 trip and aside from incident mentioned by @Bruce I do not recall another similar incident.

Unless you are a seasoned sailor, I would strongly recommend that you take the time to read the previous 14 pages. At the end of the day, you are taking a class D boat to class B environment ( if not A).
I did read all the provisioning tips on the first couple of pages. I am a seasoned sailer coming from a Catalina 30 to a 242x. I have just never been down to the Bahamas plus on my C30, I was able to lock every opening on the boat so I never worried about theft since most of the time it’s a crime of convenience.

fromrio

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This may have been answered in the 15 pages but has anyone had issues with having gear/gas cans/etc stolen from their boats while docked or is it best practice to take everything off and store in the rooms at night?
Hi everyone! It's been a while since I last posted. I was part of the 2017 Bimini trip crossing from hell!

We had minor stuff taken like our beach towels, my sons PFD, and my rash guard stolen at Bimini Sands on my 2017 trip. I left them drying on the seats and over the windshield overnight and the next day it was gone. I even considered that the wind could have blown it overboard but nowhere to be found. I've walked the entire docking area looking at the rocks and nothing.