• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Preparing for Bimini

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does anyone have input on needed dock lines for the trip? I have a couple 25' lines I generally use as spring lines, and a bunch of 15' lines that work fine for bow and stern lines. Do I need more long dock lines, or are you usually just tying up in a slip?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bill D, at Bimini Sands we are just tying to a floating dock so a couple of lines and a couple of bumpers is all you need there. If you go to other marinas you may want to use spring lines.

btbowden

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hey guys,

I just came back from a Disney cruise, which went to Nassau and Cast Away Cay in the Bahamas. I was quite surprised how rough the water was, white caps all over the place. After seeing that I don't know I'd even feel comfortable making the crossing in a 50 footer. I asked some of the crew on the ship if this was rare and they said not really, it is quite rare for it to be calm actually. In all my searching on YouTube I really cannot find much video footage of the mid point of the crossing. Most all of them show the beginning, leaving Florida, then in Bimini. So the question is do you guys get beat up making the crossing, and does anyone have any good video footage of the mid point? I must say if that was a typical day making the crossing I've been scared off, I'll simply watch you all's videos and pretend I'm there instead....LOL.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey guys,

I just came back from a Disney cruise, which went to Nassau and Cast Away Cay in the Bahamas. I was quite surprised how rough the water was, white caps all over the place. After seeing that I don't know I'd even feel comfortable making the crossing in a 50 footer. I asked some of the crew on the ship if this was rare and they said not really, it is quite rare for it to be calm actually. In all my searching on YouTube I really cannot find much video footage of the mid point of the crossing. Most all of them show the beginning, leaving Florida, then in Bimini. So the question is do you guys get beat up making the crossing, and does anyone have any good video footage of the mid point? I must say if that was a typical day making the crossing I've been scared off, I'll simply watch you all's videos and pretend I'm there instead....LOL.
I have made 5 crossings and with last years trip a small group of us continue from Bimini - Chub Cay - Nassau - Staniel Cay, Exuma. The seas during the crossing have been from flat as glass to 4'-6', but in most cases they are 2'-4'. The reason we going in June and July is due to the winds are favorable and not adding to the wave height. The worst seas are typically near Florida and get better as we approach Bimini because the winds in June and July are typically out of the East.

What you saw on your cruise was waves in some extremely deep parts of the ocean >10,000' whereas crossing from Florida to Bimini the maximum depth is around 2500'.

btbowden

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have made 5 crossings and with last years trip a small group of us continue from Bimini - Chub Cay - Nassau - Staniel Cay, Exuma. The seas during the crossing have been from flat as glass to 4'-6', but in most cases they are 2'-4'. The reason we going in June and July is due to the winds are favorable and not adding to the wave height. The worst seas are typically near Florida and get better as we approach Bimini because the winds in June and July are typically out of the East.

What you saw on your cruise was waves in some extremely deep parts of the ocean >10,000' whereas crossing from Florida to Bimini the maximum depth is around 2500'.
I actually found a video that shows the crossing, would this representative of a typical crossing?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@btbowden, this is footage from my boat over three years of crossings. I have always found the roughest water to be at the mouth of Port Everglades. As Andy said we go during the calmest months of the year. I would never try to plan a winter trip in advance. Statistically the water is likely to be too rough.

Last edited:

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I actually found a video that shows the crossing, would this representative of a typical crossing?
That is fairly typical of the conditions, just like @Bruce video. The boat can easily handle the crossing, the crew is the limiting factor.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey guys,

Pu$$y....

hahahaha...I'm just kidding. Just sounded like something my brother would have told me growing up, but man did he do some dumb things. In all seriousness, there is no way I would put my wife and 4 year old daughter in harms way if I was concerned about their safety. My wife and daughter had about 150 miles of open ocean last year on @Andy S boat and some of that was larger swells then I've experienced on the Bimini crossing and I never once felt it was unsafe. I think you'll find this group to be very cautious with @Bruce leading the way. I'm very confident he wouldn't put another boat and especially not his own wife and kids in harms way if the weather was a risk. As long as you prepare your boat and yourself/crew for a rougher ride you'll be fine. Just hold the throttle down and enjoy the ride.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I feel your pain @btbowden. Here is my Aristotelian logic ( if A=B and B=C then A=C ) for buying a boat in November, learning how to handle it in May/June and making the trip in July.
  • Are there people who have made this trip on similar boat to mine? Yes
  • Does my boat have all safety equipment to make the trip? Yes
  • Do my kinds and wife have type I life jackets? Yes
  • Will anyone one-else with previous experience who has kids and loves them making the trip? Yes
  • Did God create as all equal? Yes
  • If they go and I was meant to be their equal then I go!

Here are my additional equipment to make me concur my fear of crossing into the Bermuda Triangle
  • back up bilge pump
  • high water alert
  • fixed VHF with an 8 foot antenna
  • bow cover
  • Inreach Explorer with back up battery ( looking to add an ACR, not decided yet).
  • enough flares to roast a pig
  • Abanton ship bag to sustain my kids for 48 hours.
  • Red notice hanging on the throttle saying DO NOT TOUCH ME
  • Adult diapers because there is 50% chance I will pee my pans
Full disclaimer here. I am actually more exited about the crossing itself than staying in Bimini.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@btbowden watch @robert843 video from our return trip last year at about the 2:25 mark. I think the return last year was pretty typically conditions (at least from what I've experienced). He did a good job of capturing some pretty good spray. It will not be a comfortable ride, but discomfort doesn't necessarily mean unsafe.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is my favorite crossing video. Us returning from Staniel's Cay to Bimini. Starts about the 1:46 mark you get the good bad and the ugly in this video.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I feel your pain @btbowden. Here is my Aristotelian logic ( if A=B and B=C then A=C ) for buying a boat in November, learning how to handle it in May/June and making the trip in July.
  • Will anyone one-else with previous experience who has kids and loves them making the trip? Yes

Here are my additional equipment to make me concur my fear of crossing into the Bermuda Triangle
  • back up bilge pump
  • high water alert
  • bow cover
  • Inreach Explorer with back up battery ( looking to add an ACR, not decided yet).
Full disclaimer here. I am actually more exited about the crossing itself than staying in Bimini.
Amen. We hang sand bars every weekend The Crossing is what I'm looking forward to

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@btbowden mysekf and @blacksapphirez came down to the gulf this weekend to go bounce around in some waves and get a feel for things. The apps called it 3.5' waves at a 6s period today. It was a great experience. I'll be making some adjustments based on what I learned today.

• It may sound like common sense or nativity to some, but things in the boat moved a lot. Even things that hadn't moved before and have been there for a long time.
  • There's no way no make adjustments to stuff in those conditions, so have everything in a good place and secure before you leave harbor.
  • 4' waves are bigger than 4'. When keeping the water below your boat and maintaining a useful speed, it's taxing on everyone. Not impossible, but taxing.
  • Lastly, it's totally doable. Totally. And it will be worth it in the end.
Here's a shot from today that sums up the fun we had. Looks mild doesn't it? :cool: (Photo credit to @blacksapphirez wife)
IMG_0311.JPG

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone used Euros ( instead of Dollars) while in Bimini? We have some left over from our trip to europe and not sure what to do with it. Given the situation in Europe I might as well use it now.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone used Euros ( instead of Dollars) while in Bimini? We have some left over from our trip to europe and not sure what to do with it. Given the situation in Europe I might as well use it now.
No, their currency is tied to the US Dollar. We do not exchange currency. The USD and the Bahiamian Dollar are interchangeable and you will likely receive a mixture as change.

There is only one bank on the island and it is rumored to be closing. The Bahamians would not be able to exchange your Euros for useable currency.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Please read this is any of your crew is flying one way to Bimini with Silver Airway

@Amar Nanduri contacted Silver and they told him that the airline will not let anyone board with a one way ticket to Bimini. I have 4 one way tickets, so I contacted Silver Airways myself. They confirmed that they will deny boarding to one way ticket holders unless they have proof of intention to return to US ( for example, return ticket, or ferry ticket etc).
I explained the situation that my family will fly to Bimini and they will return with me in our boat. In that case, they want to see a cruising permit which apparently we do not get until we clear customs in Bimini. The other solution is to provide Silver Airways with a manifest. So this what I did.

I send an LOX with the following details ( purpose of visit, arrival departure days) and provided the following documents.
  • Proof of flight reservation ( confirmation # and list of travelers)
  • Proof of reservation for Bimini Sands
  • Proof of boat ownership
  • Proof of insurance
  • This is the address
  • Guest Relations Department
    1100 Lee Wagener Blvd, Suite 201
    Fort Lauderdale FL 33315 USA
I followed up on the phone and the agent on the phone told me that they have put remarks on the our ticket reservation that we are clear to board.
  • phone # 801-401-9100
  • if you select "guest relations" it will ask you to send it an email, so I actually selected " existing reservations" and they are able to help me
Note that on my LOX, I asked Silver to send me a letter saying that it is okay for crew to travel oneway, but they did not send anything. The agent on the phone said that there is no need and that everything is on the remarks. As a precaution, I will give my wife all the above documentation, so she has it will her just in case. At second thought, though. how bad can it be in Bimini for a week with no kids or wife! :D

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length

• back up bilge pump
  • high water alert
  • bow cover
High Water Alert --- Is it a sensor that you fix to the boat?

bow cover - Is it possible to use the bow cover during the crossing to cover up the goods? Might also prevent additional water from coming into the boat.

Abanton ship bag - What is this for ?

Best
Amar

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I was going through the FAQ and noticed that quite a lot of people replaced their scupper valve. Is this something I need to do for my 2010 AR240 ? I have a second bilge pump installed in my boat. If I need to do this, might as well get started on this as we are getting closer to the 60 day mark. What parts to buy exactly for my boat? Much appreciated.

Thanks
Amar

Skroggy66

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Who makes a good bow cover? I think it would be a great idea to shed some water just in case..