• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Preparing for Bimini

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That appears to be the correct information, actually. :p

When we were waiting for our Bimini 2016 customs clearance, a group of us stroke a conversation with a nice gentleman from TX who lives in Bimini part time. We asked him if he has ever been tempted to skip Bahamian customs upon his re-entry. His answer was pretty short: "They WILL take your boat".
Yup....I was standing next to you....that's crazy huh

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Keep it Between the Navigational Beacons

The channels to Port Everglades, South Bimini, North Bimini and the Resorts World Ferry Terminal are marked by lighted buoys. The buoys on the channel into North Bimini are particularly important as rocks are found on the edges of the channel on both sides. These buoys and their navigation channels are well marked on most plotter charts. Most of the time, most of us will use our plotters and daylight visibility to navigate these channels. However not all of us will have plotters and in some instances those plotters or the GPS signals they rely on will fail. So we need to read and remember the contents of the U.S. Coast Guards Aids to Navigation System.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
FRS Caribbean has launched their new service between the Port of Miami and the ferry peer at Resorts World Bimini. They are operating a several day a week at a cost of around $190 for a less than 3 hour crossing. The route is operated by the 400 passenger, 170ft San Gwann. She is propelled by four jet drives. There are no requirements to stay at Resorts World to ride the ferry. Tickets can be booked through their website.

ferry-caribbean-san-gwann.jpg

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was gonna comment that the seaplane trip was cheaper, but then I looked into it and that's the fare for round trip. Good deal indeed.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was gonna comment that the seaplane trip was cheaper, but then I looked into it and that's the fare for round trip. Good deal indeed.
Can you tell us more about your seaplane trip? Where did you book it? What was the cost? Would you do it again? I assume your stuff was on Dirk's boat but did they allow for luggage?

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sure!

Booked on capeair.com

$175/person (one way)

HELL YES! (seaplane! Took off from Ft Lauderdale, but landed in the water behind RWB)

We could've taken all the luggage in the world, but I recall the site saying one carry on and one stowed bag. We booked 35 minutes before flight, we were the only ones aboard however (not counting pilot/co-pilot). I believe the plane would typically seat up to 10. Tons of room available. Really cool experience.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@veedubtek i agree sounds like a cool experience!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sure!

Booked on capeair.com

$175/person (one way)

HELL YES! (seaplane! Took off from Ft Lauderdale, but landed in the water behind RWB)

We could've taken all the luggage in the world, but I recall the site saying one carry on and one stowed bag. We booked 35 minutes before flight, we were the only ones aboard however (not counting pilot/co-pilot). I believe the plane would typically seat up to 10. Tons of room available. Really cool experience.
Could have brought your jet ski -- duh! :rolleyes:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could have brought your jet ski -- duh! :rolleyes:
Ah yes but this is like the MasterCard commercial. Taking your jet skis to the Bahamas $1000 in fuel and slip rental but taking a sea plane to the Bahamas and having @DieselCamel chauffeur you around in his new World Cat the whole time down there priceless.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Bruce I've posted this on the various annual Bimini threads, might be a good adder for your first section under Scuba diving.
When I was renting equipment one year from Neal Watson he showed me this sheet..SNAPSHOT !! I don't know what the A,B,C in column 1 means. We've rented twice from him, very positive customer experience.

upload_2016-10-28_8-45-28.png

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Videos Showing What You Will Find In Bimini

Here are some great videos showing different perspectives from outside of our flings on what you can expect to find in Bimini.

sgtpunisher

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
It all depends on the sea conditions. Last year we had fantastic conditions and @tim2808 crossed as well as us in 23' and 24'. However, on previous trips we have experience some 3-5' waves with an occasional 4-6' thrown in for good measure and all the boats 21' to 24' handled them just fine. To me the difficult part of crossing in a 19' would be the refuel in rough seas, otherwise the only thing that will limit you handling the rough seas is you and your crew.
Are we talking about rolling waves or breaking waves?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Before others chime in, I would say those are ALL rolling waves, at least with conditions we would venture out. I don't think we had any instances of a boat struck by a breaking wave, certainly not on the last trip (2016).
So, all good? (unless the wave is breaking, the boat should ride up and over the wave regardless of the wave height in comparison to the boat length and the boat’s orientation to the wave) -- Yes, in theory. But that is not to say that it will be comfortable or possibly cause the boat to go out of control.

What I found most interesting is this:
1. our boats like to launch and catch some air; while an outboard will usually stay planted in water, our jet intakes are out (which makes for some interesting effects on take off and landing); so, the dominant period is very important
2. the Atlantic coast off of FL waves are just different...
they are just not paced with any sort of regularity and can roll in different directions; that was at least my perspective from the helm of a 190, LOL.

--

sgtpunisher

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Whew....I was gonna say even three foot chop is enough to make me nervous as all get out!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know that I would call them rollers over the last two trips more like 2-4ft chop in 2015 and 2-3ft chop in 2016 really not that bad just rough. 3-4 ft breakers would be a different story I would probably delay my trip if the winds were strong enough to have breakers. In 2015 we had plenty of white caps but I never saw anything actually break.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Pretty sure it's the fact of being in it for 2.5 hours that gets to you. I went out in 6 foot rollers once but we also threw anchor and swam to shore so we didn't feel the brunt of it. A little freaky when u watch your boat disappear behind the waves though!

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Only in 2013 did I experience actual waves at 3'-5', all other trips the sea conditions were rollers. On the 2013 trip the wind was out of the east, blowing the waves right at us and causing them to break over. Luckily as we got closer to Bimini the waves laid down some and becoming rollers not waves. On the trip there were only 4 boat; 2 - 21' (@upperdeck & @justason), my previous 23', and a 24' (@sstegh). The captains and crew were all of similar capabilities and we made the trip to Bimini in 3 hours, just kept the throttle set at 20 mph through the roughest part and toughed it out.

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Only in 2013 did I experience actual waves at 3'-5', all other trips the sea conditions were rollers. On the 2013 trip the wind was out of the east, blowing the waves right at us and causing them to break over. Luckily as we got closer to Bimini the waves laid down some and becoming rollers not waves. On the trip there were only 4 boat; 2 - 21' (@upperdeck & @justason), my previous 23', and a 24' (@sstegh). The captains and crew were all of similar capabilities and we made the trip to Bimini in 3 hours, just kept the throttle set at 20 mph through the roughest part and toughed it out.
This trip is part of the reason I have my current boat...

sgtpunisher

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
it's not me I'm worried about. I'm an experienced Seaman with about 4 years of driving boats for the military. It's my family that I'm worried about that wouldn't be able to take the waves and make it a dreadful ride and get seasick on the way there. But we all get seasick it's not if you get sea sick it's when you get seasick. I would be afraid that she would never want to go again. I have a 20 foot Tahoe inboard outboard. It is a deep V the Q7 ski and fish boat. When I was stationed in Alaska I'm going out to 21 miles in a little 17 foot boat the waves were like 4 foot rollers and it was no problem at all but I didn't have my family with me it was just me and a bunch of military buddies we had a great time lots of salmon.