• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Proper gate adjustment for Neutral?

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Listen up Everybody (saying that nicely).....your dealer can adjust this from happening. Tell them to read the darn manual and set it accordingly! It shouldn't be just taking off. It will creep for a second at first start since the initial idle is high, but not to where you are losing control of the vehicle.
Ron,

Do you or can you sell the manual you are speaking of?
If not, can you attach a .pdf of the page that addresses the adjustment?

Walt

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
normal break-in, self adjusting, what a disappointment, tell us the name of this dealer so no one goes there again,

@Ron@Scarab can you confirm the only adjustment is the "rotating the key" mentioned above

We need to get an post on this for the FAQ, the yamahas are not difficult at all to adjust,[/QUOTE

The IST or INR (New name for IST---Legal reasons) models are set by the dash (if available) on the gauge cluster, or the dealer as I've been recommending has to adjust it on the BUDS system on the water to correct that issue.

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Okay for some reason my post didn't go. The IST or now called INR should be only properly set through BUDS from your dealer on the water. If your boat is equipped with the adjustment feature for a proper neutral, you can adjust at the helm on your gauge cluster.

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Listen up Everybody (saying that nicely).....your dealer can adjust this from happening. Tell them to read the darn manual and set it accordingly! It shouldn't be just taking off. It will creep for a second at first start since the initial idle is high, but not to where you are losing control of the vehicle.
Unless you're aware of a different adjustment than the one I described above, where you have to rotate this 'key', I'm told by the dealer there are no other fine adjustments. Unfortunately for me, adjusting to a neutral position at start-up doesn't allow the gates to fully open under throttle. Because of this, I've had to resort to living with the forward momentum on startup. I deal with it by starting the boat with one engine, immediately pull the throttle partially in reverse to get the boat to stand in one position, push off, steer clear of the dock, drop back to neutral and then start engine 2 so when I go lunging forward, I'm clear of obstacles.

Last edited:

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here's a picture of what I'm describing as the "Key". You can see that it can only be rotated a full 360* in either direction, lengthening or shortening the shaft which controls the pitch on the gates.

I wouldn't put it past the tech's or this dealer that there are other adjustments that can be made, that they have no clue of. So really, appreciate any insight anyone has!

Key Location.jpg

Key.jpg

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Here's a picture of what I'm describing as the "Key". You can see that it can only be rotated a full 360* in either direction, lengthening or shortening the shaft which controls the pitch on the gates.

I wouldn't put it past the tech's or this dealer that there are other adjustments that can be made, that they have no clue of. So really, appreciate any insight anyone has!

View attachment 52495

View attachment 52496
That can be adjusted accordingly, but you'll have to loosen the cable lock to slide the cable in and out. First, the system should be adjusted on BUDS at your dealer!!! If that isn't helping as it should, only then should the tech make an adjustment there.

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Ron,
Are there Scarab tech/maintenance manuals available to purchase for end users like us?

Walt

Bweb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
UPDATE.... Talked to the service manager at the dealer ship. He apologized for the in short the stupidity of the service tech guy. He agrees with Ron, they will have to look at it and see what they can do. I previously discussed it is kind of a trial and air to get it right. However he ensures the issue can be corrected some.

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
UPDATE.... Talked to the service manager at the dealer ship. He apologized for the in short the stupidity of the service tech guy. He agrees with Ron, they will have to look at it and see what they can do. I previously discussed it is kind of a trial and air to get it right. However he ensures the issue can be corrected some.
Good to hear!!

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Ron,
Are there Scarab tech/maintenance manuals available to purchase for end users like us?

Walt
There is an Operator's Manual that you should've received at the time of delivery from your dealer. As for an actual Scarab shop manual, we only have our parts diagrams and specs not open to the public. The manuals from BRP/Evinrude are geared strictly for the engines and drive-line. We use our dealer ports BOSSWEB for that. If I personally can't get the info I need for a certain issue, I will resort to some of our BRP/Seadoo manuals.

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Ron, I did receive an operators manual but was looking for a shop manual and that is not available I guess.

While I have you here,
1. On the Viper II Controller there is a Wi-Fi antenna. What is this for? (My iPhone connects via Blue Tooth)
2. There is also a Panel Assy, Video, Viper II (025-5112) What is this for? Does the Viper II allow for a video input from say a Go-Gro for display on the touch screen?
3. I purchased the Navionics Marine and Lake charts SD card and was told the Viper II will only accept a max of 2MB on the Card. The card that was in the slot from the factory was a Kingston 8GB SD card. I am confused as to why the 2MB limit and what the 8GB SD card is for? There are two card slots and both occupied from the factory with SD cards. Is one card an operating system and the other a mapset?
4. Is there a Manual on the Viper II Medallion and touchscreen? I did not get anything from the dealer covering this.

(2016 215 HO Wake)
Thanks,
Walt

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Ron, I did receive an operators manual but was looking for a shop manual and that is not available I guess.

While I have you here,
1. On the Viper II Controller there is a Wi-Fi antenna. What is this for? (My iPhone connects via Blue Tooth)
2. There is also a Panel Assy, Video, Viper II (025-5112) What is this for? Does the Viper II allow for a video input from say a Go-Gro for display on the touch screen?
3. I purchased the Navionics Marine and Lake charts SD card and was told the Viper II will only accept a max of 2MB on the Card. The card that was in the slot from the factory was a Kingston 8GB SD card. I am confused as to why the 2MB limit and what the 8GB SD card is for? There are two card slots and both occupied from the factory with SD cards. Is one card an operating system and the other a mapset?
4. Is there a Manual on the Viper II Medallion and touchscreen? I did not get anything from the dealer covering this.

(2016 215 HO Wake)
Thanks,
Walt

Walt, I will be the first to tell you that I am terrible with electronic gadgets. Electronics are like computers for me,....just to slow for me, lol! I uploaded some things to help you here. Let me know if that helps and if it doesn't I will get a better answer for you.

Attachments

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Ron,
You have uploaded 4 files with different file names but all with the exact .PDF content. The document is a user guide for the touch screen and will be very useful. Do you have other documents that cover other parts of the boat, particularly of the Wi-Fi aspect? Engines?

Thanks for the upload. You have greatly helped those with the touch screen!!!

Walt

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Ron,
You have uploaded 4 files with different file names but all with the exact .PDF content. The document is a user guide for the touch screen and will be very useful. Do you have other documents that cover other parts of the boat, particularly of the Wi-Fi aspect? Engines?

Thanks for the upload. You have greatly helped those with the touch screen!!!

Walt
See, I told you I am terrible with electronics, lol! I thought I had actually copied each separate page separately, but I see it saved the whole package. Either way, it will be helpful to someone. I will check into the Wi-Fi aspect. Usually everything that covers that is given at the time of delivery. Stay tuned!

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks Ron, very helpful!

Walt

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
If you ever do adjustment to improve idle on a mechanical system, always make sure the gate still "lock" in full forward position.

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That can be adjusted accordingly, but you'll have to loosen the cable lock to slide the cable in and out. First, the system should be adjusted on BUDS at your dealer!!! If that isn't helping as it should, only then should the tech make an adjustment there.
Thanks for the help Ron. I'm not sure what "BUDS" is or the cable lock you bring up? I've been manually adjusting just by turning that key, no other tweaks. Is spinning that key just a waste of time without loosening this cable lock? I tell ya, it definitely does something, because one turn one way it wants to launch off the ramp, one turn the other way and the thing won't lock the gates full up.

Sheesh, I hope I haven't damaged anything...

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks for the help Ron. I'm not sure what "BUDS" is or the cable lock you bring up? I've been manually adjusting just by turning that key, no other tweaks. Is spinning that key just a waste of time without loosening this cable lock? I tell ya, it definitely does something, because one turn one way it wants to launch off the ramp, one turn the other way and the thing won't lock the gates full up.

Sheesh, I hope I haven't damaged anything...

The cable lock is located in front of the brass bracket holder you are turning. The cable lock screws into the pump support. That cable lock holds the cable in place preventing it from moving in and out. You can give length or shorten the length of the cable coming out for added adjustment. BUDS, is the software at your local dealer that they use to adjust the issue you're having. If that doesn't fix the issue, they will have to measure things out and re-set it with a water test.

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The cable lock is located in front of the brass bracket holder you are turning. The cable lock screws into the pump support. That cable lock holds the cable in place preventing it from moving in and out. You can give length or shorten the length of the cable coming out for added adjustment. BUDS, is the software at your local dealer that they use to adjust the issue you're having. If that doesn't fix the issue, they will have to measure things out and re-set it with a water test.
Excellent. Thanks again.