• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Quick question on charger hook up

SColby7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ok so I have a two bank smart charger I am planning on installing today. I just want to make sure I hook things up correctly. From what I have read and found I am going to hook each battery to its own bank.
Also our boat is going to be sitting for about two weeks before we get back out to use it. Leaving it plugged in till then this battery charger should maintain the batteries till we get back to the lake correct?
Thanks
Here is what I have...

Yes.....You are correct

Great thanks. I bought the charger last year and didn't get a chance to hook it up, so I wanted to make sure I was remembering things correctly.

You might want to give these 2 threads a look. The DVSR will parallel the batteries when it reaches 13.4 and it will defeat the purpose of the smart charger. You need to turn off the DVSR when charging by either tapping the loop sense wire to the COMM on the switch, or to the EP1 or EP2 wire. That way the DVSR is only working when the switch is on or the engine is on depending on which way you choose. Davel501 is very knowledgeable on this matter so he might be able to help.
http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58251
https://jetboaters.net/threads/help-with-dvsr-loop-sense-wire.1736/page-2

Well since I have to undue the nuts I may just hook the charger up to the batteries and leave the wires to the boat off until I get a chance to get things set up properly. Then there will be no worries till I can get back to the boat.

If it is in the water...dont disconnect the bilge pump.

Won't b in the water. We just can't get back to the lake so gonna pull it, get the charger on, and get it all cleaned up for when we can get back. Then I'll look into the dvsr and putting a switch or something in between.

The charger does get hard wired right to the batteries. The DSVR will be ok under two conditions.
1. the DSVR supports an onboard smart charger, which it should.
2. The charger accepts two banks going into parallel, which is what will happen when you plug it in. your should "should"

Contact the factory for both devices and explain the setup. I am 95% confident you are fine based on my experience, but I have never worked with either of those brands.

Ok so I have everything hooked back up. Charger hooked up as well. So I was thinking with the switch turned off does that disable the dvsr? Either way things should b fine and the charger should work properly.

If you have a two bank charger, and both of the leads from each bank are hooked directly to each battery, you are charging each battery separately. If the dvsr is closing and combining the batteries, while it will still charge them, if you have a very low battery and a full battery, the amperage from the battery can overpower the amperage from the charger and balance the batteries, which is heat and resistance. So I would turn off all battery switches and hopefully the dvsr is taken out of the equation when shore charging. I admittedly don't know that stock dual battery system Yamaha uses like I do my Blue Sea setup, but you don't want combining while your shore charging, unless your using a single bank charger.

We only have the one switch and it is the bep/dvsr shown above. It was not stock as our boat only had one battery when we bought it and I had it installed with the second battery.
I would like the charger to work properly. If I need to throw in a switch to cut the dvsr out what wire do I tap into. I know there are other threads about this stuff I've read through them and am still trying to make sense of it all.

I think...a dangerous thing, that when you turn off the switch, that it will shut down flow through the switch and consequently the dvsr. But you do have leads to each battery individually, so you should be good there.

If u r referring to dangerous because it may b in the water and not have power for the bulge pump i understand and I would not want that either. . But we pull r boat out and it sits on the trailer. So no worries there.
I do have leads to each battery. From everything I have read I need to cut the dvsr out in order for the charger to b smart. So by turning the switch off and the boat not having any power to anything I'm guessing this would also cut out the dvsr as there is no power going through. Which in turn means that the charger should b smart and work properly.

lol, no, my dangerous comment was in regards to me doing any actual thinking! lol

Lol. That kind of goes along here as well hence the questions about this. Want to make sure I understand and things will be fine

Well starting thinking......
Ok. Anyways I plugged in the charger to c what would happen and the dvsr does kick on. So I need to do a little work and get things on a switch so it cuts it out.

It is all in how it is wired @SColby7 and I am not much help there. I know with my 5511e and the ACR, I can put the ACR on battery side, or on load side. I am pretty sure you can do the same thing, so that when the switch is off, so is the DVSR, just like my ACR if I set it up that way. Sorry I am not better educated on the dvsr.

So Im guessing the little red wire is the sensing wire that i need to tap into to cut out the dvsr. Is this correct? And if so if I put that on a switch it should cut it out when the switch is off

I would have to look at the schematic to know.

Well there's always one way to find out. Clip it, wire nut it together, and c what happens. Worse case is it doesn't work and I have to put the little guy back together wo the switch

Back