• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rear light won't work.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20140627_191224.jpg A couple of weeks ago we were out at night and it took me and my father in law pushing with all of our might to get the light down in the socket far enough for it to work. Now sitting here in the driveway I cannot push it down far enough by myself to make it work.

Has anyone ever had this problem?

Any suggestions?

What does it look inside the outlet? Any chance that a kid put something down there? Other than that, the light should only slide in one way to keep the plug lined up with the socket correctly. Also, is the pole bent? Or the electrical "prongs" down in the receiver bent?

Everything looks really good, there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary which is why I'm struggling to figure out what the heck the problem is.

Everything looks really good, there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary which is why I'm struggling to figure out what the heck the problem is.
In that case ..... I really have no idea why that would happen. I've only used mine a couple of times and it just seemed to slide right in.

PS. I think I have an extra light pole in my shed. Let me know if you think that it's the pole and I could send it your way.

Does your light pole slide in further than mine is in the picture above?

I hope you get this solved easily.
My only suggestion is this:
1) FIRST, use a voltmeter and insure you have 12 volts dc @ your socket contacts.
2) If you do, try putting 12 volts DC TO your light pole to insure the light does illuminate.
Good Luck, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Does your light pole slide in further than mine is in the picture above?
I can't tell from the picture. On mine, the pole slides in and the black plastic piece slides down the pole and screws into the socket to hold the pole in place.

I'm nowhere near my boat right now, but I might have pics of the pole somewhere. Let me look and see.

View attachment 7683 A couple of weeks ago we were out at night and it took me and my father in law pushing with all of our might to get the light down in the socket far enough for it to work. Now sitting here in the driveway I cannot push it down far enough by myself to make it work.

Has anyone ever had this problem?

Any suggestions?
@Volffas
Hey you have the same boat as I do. Looks like an after market socket..not the Yamaha original.. Could be an issue if you are trying to use the stock Yammi light pole. You might do better with a generic aftermarket pole. Try borrowing one of your dock neighbors poles to check. I'll bet that's it.
Steve

Last edited:
There should be a bump on one side of the pole plug that must be aligned with a notch in the socket. Proper alignment will allow the pole to slide in all the way and make contact. I also agree with making sure the pole and socket are a matched pair and not different brands.

Everything looks good. The bump is in place, there are 3 prongs in the bottom of the light holder, and three holes on the bottom of the light pole. It just seems to me that the pole is not going in as far as it should. I tried to get it to go in further by coating everything with Dawn soap, but that didn't help. I will have to look at it a little more.

Thanks for the input so far!

This might be a tad bit anal ........ and kinda rednick backwoods ..........
But you should be able to check the "insert depth" of the pole by the following method:
1) MEASURE the distance from the top of the light socket then down to the TOP of the contact pins.
If you cannot get a tape measure in there, insert a pencil and mark off the pencil and then measure THAT distance.
2) Then, get some black electrical tape, and measure off your light pole the same distance and tape up that mark. Measure from the bottom of the pole, contact pins and then UP the pole that same distance you just measured.
3) Insert the pole and see IF you can insert the pole into the socket ALL the way to the where you have the black tape.
That will tell you if it is going in far enough.
And ..........

==> Did you ever use a voltmeter and measure the pin to insure that you have 12VDC at the pins ?
A lot of light pole time has been lost in the past, because people were trying to get a boat light to illuminate where there was no voltage available/present.
Good Luck, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee,

Last edited:
Back