• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Removing table pedestal hole

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Got it. Thanks for the Sea Dek compliment. HydroTurf is nice too. Anything but the carpet that easily gets stinky.

bobbyc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to resurrect a old thread; I just bought a used 2008 AR230. The area in front of the table pedestal is very soft. Unfortunately I didn't notice it during the pre-buy... I woulda got $600 more knocked off the price!) I took this deck panel off that covers the fuel tank. Do you think there is any chance of cutting the fiberglass open from the underside, removing the soft area of wood, and filling it with something that will adhere to the rest of the wood? I'm not afraid to try since I can order a new deck panel for $600.... which is quite a bit so I'd rather try something first. What do you recommend I fill it with?

bobbyc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
update: I used my oscillating multi tool to cut open the fiberglass from the underside, and shave out the rotten balsa wood. It ended up being a 26" x 16" rectangle right in the middle of the deck platform that I ended up shaving out. I cut all the stuff out right down to the layer of fiberglass above (under) the gelcoat. I knicked thru the gelcoat in one spot, so I already ordered a tube of JB weld white gelcoat repair.
I coated it all with fiberglass resin/hardner mix, put my cloth down, coated some more, sandwiched my 3/8" plywood replacement, coated, clothed, more resin. Also added some 1x3 reinforcement boards to overlap my cut. Should turn out nice. Only $50 in gelcoat repair and fiberglass resin/clothspent... much better than buying the whole new fuel cover deck piece for $600!
Will be putting it back together saturday. Going to replace steering lines (should be showing up this week) and install some lighting power wires while this hatch is off.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
update: I used my oscillating multi tool to cut open the fiberglass from the underside, and shave out the rotten balsa wood. It ended up being a 26" x 16" rectangle right in the middle of the deck platform that I ended up shaving out. I cut all the stuff out right down to the layer of fiberglass above (under) the gelcoat. I knicked thru the gelcoat in one spot, so I already ordered a tube of JB weld white gelcoat repair.
I coated it all with fiberglass resin/hardner mix, put my cloth down, coated some more, sandwiched my 3/8" plywood replacement, coated, clothed, more resin. Also added some 1x3 reinforcement boards to overlap my cut. Should turn out nice. Only $50 in gelcoat repair and fiberglass resin/clothspent... much better than buying the whole new fuel cover deck piece for $600!
Will be putting it back together saturday. Going to replace steering lines (should be showing up this week) and install some lighting power wires while this hatch is off.
I wish I would have done this on my cleanout hatch cover instead of trying to drill holes and let the rotfix/epoxy seep into the lower areas, it seemed like an easy solution but just cutting the "bottom" side out would have been a much better fix.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I wish I would have done this on my cleanout hatch cover instead of trying to drill holes and let the rotfix/epoxy seep into the lower areas, it seemed like an easy solution but just cutting the "bottom" side out would have been a much better fix.
Why do you say that? I have to tackle this job soon for my ski locker hatch and was planning on using your thread ideas to fix it. Is it not holding up or just too much work?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It was a lot of time/work and I'm still uncertain of all the areas I couldn't see/access, plus drilling holes and trying to syringe it in wasn't that productive.

Looking back I wish I would have dremeled the entire bottom off, scrapped all the rot and just place a new piece of plywood and fiberglassed over it, I think it would have been less work and I knew the job would be good,

The rotfix stuff worked great though,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@capt just wanted to be sure you saw this post,

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It was a lot of time/work and I'm still uncertain of all the areas I couldn't see/access, plus drilling holes and trying to syringe it in wasn't that productive.

Looking back I wish I would have dremeled the entire bottom off, scrapped all the rot and just place a new piece of plywood and fiberglassed over it, I think it would have been less work and I knew the job would be good,

The rotfix stuff worked great though,
Thanks, looking at the bottom of the hatch it isn't readily evident how much is rotted out so I was hoping the rotfix would just seep in. I'm trying to imagine what scraping it out entails to decide which route I'm going to take.

Last edited: