• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Have you got a loose cabin table mount, Here's the answer 06 AR 230. latest edition.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A loose Cabin Table mount that wouldn't tighten has bothered me for some time, I know the reason why the locknuts under the fibreglass are just turning as you try to tighten them, The table wobbles and it was about time i sorted the job out i understand it's nearly impossible to get to so after some thought here's what i did.

Assorted Photos 023.jpg

The screws are stainless and take some drilling but once you've got a few out it allows you better access

Assorted Photos 025.jpg
You can lever the mount up to allow you to get a cutting disc under, Remember to put something underneath to protect the fibreglass you don't want to mark the floor

Assorted Photos 026.jpgloor.

Here's the problem locknuts in an area that's open to moisture and condensation so they just spin when you try to tighten them.

Assorted Photos 016.jpg

I was going to use a piece of flat stainless which would have been quite sufficient but then on my travels i found a piece of pressed stainless from a scrap metal dealer which suited the job better about 50 cents so worth a try.

Assorted Photos 010.jpg

I cleaned it up and used the table mount as a template and drilled the holes and cut the center out, You can see the pressings in the stainless and the edge is folded so increased strength.

Assorted Photos 015.jpg

Welded nuts on the bottom so no chance of them turning around again when you tighten them.

Assorted Photos 017.jpg
Tidied up the center whole and made sure the mount fits well and it slides up and down the bolts easily you don't want anything binding or cross threading when you fit it through the floor because your going to be working blind remember.

Assorted Photos 018.jpg

Ok everything fits together and it slides up and down with ease

Assorted Photos 020.jpg

I used some stainless spring washers that fit into the original counter sunk holes or the bolts would have been cutting into the aluminium table mount.

Assorted Photos 004.jpg

Put a mark on the mount and on the new base because you want all the bolts to go into the same holes as there may be slight variations and they may be a fraction out and don't forget your also going through the fibreglass in the Cabin floor and the bolts will be a tight fit.

Assorted Photos 005.jpg

Use a piece of welding rod and connect it to the new mount, Open the fuel tank inspection hatch and thread the rod on top of the fuel tank until you can see it through the table mount hole in the floor

Assorted Photos 006.jpg

This is what you should see through the hole in the floor

Assorted Photos 007.jpg

Pull the new mount through until you can see it through the hole in the Cabin floor.

Assorted Photos 008.jpg

Ok this is where it gets a little tricky and 2 pairs of hands are needed but i was alone and trying to take Photos for you at the same time, Remove the welding rod and let the new mount sit on top of the fuel tank ( don't worry it cant go anywhere ) thread the rod through 2 opposite holes in the table mount remembering to line up the marks you put onto both surfaces, Push the rod through 2 opposite holes in the floor where the mount sits and through the new mount which is now sitting on the top of the tank, when the rod is through the new mount bend the rod after it is through the new mount holes, Now the mount can slide down the welding rod and you can pull the mount from the top of the fuel tank into position, Start to put the bolts through and connect the new mount.

Assorted Photos 010.jpg

You should be able to pull the new mounting plate into position and connect all the bolts except 2 where the rod goes.

Assorted Photos 011.jpg

Remove the rod by giving it a good pull with a pair of pliers and fit the remaining 2 bolts, Tighten the bolts evenly until the whole mount is nice and secure.

Assorted Photos 012.jpg

Job finished and rock solid and easy to tighten in the future if you need to, You can go back to screws if you prefer but just replace the bolts one at a time a good clean and fit the carpets back.

Assorted Photos 017.jpg
Go and treat yourself job well done.

If anyone doesn't understand anything just ask and i will do my best to explain.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
great job, thanks for all the pictures,

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That, my friend, was effing brilliant!!!

mb300sd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bet you can find stainless oval head screws in the same thread at home depot, so you don't have to have the protruding bolt heads.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bet you can find stainless oval head screws in the same thread at home depot, so you don't have to have the protruding bolt heads.
Yes you probably can but i will give these a try for a couple of months and see what the reaction is and change them if i think it needs doing.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Awesome write up @Geoff Cooper ! I was a little confused by the step of pulling the lower part up....but after a re-read I get it!! So I gather there is quite a bit of distance between the floor at the top of the gas tank? I was going to ask if there was any concern about the lower metal plate rubbing on the gas tank...but I think the answer is "No...lots of room, which is why I had to pull the lower plate up with rods to I could attach it".

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome write up @Geoff Cooper ! I was a little confused by the step of pulling the lower part up....but after a re-read I get it!! So I gather there is quite a bit of distance between the floor at the top of the gas tank? I was going to ask if there was any concern about the lower metal plate rubbing on the gas tank...but I think the answer is "No...lots of room, which is why I had to pull the lower plate up with rods to I could attach it".
There's about 4 inches, There are a few small cross members going across but it still allows enough room to pull the plate through.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great job and as usual an awesome write up @Geoff Cooper
Yes I'm well pleased, It's solid and no flex in the floor either, I estimated with some decent drills to start the job and after making the underfloor mount it took about 1 hour to sort the job out and complete the work.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's been a few weeks since i did the job on the table mount and one of the reasons i used bolts was because i had searched around local suppliers for countersunk screws without any success so it was a case of needs must, Although it has worked really well the bolts did create a problem so i had to rethink the problem and here's how i overcome the situation.

Assorted Photos 012.jpg
This is how we had left the original job, It worked great but there was a problem with the bolts.

IMG_20160608_114742_1.jpg
They say where there's a will there's a way, After much searching without any luck i finally got some countersunk metric screws and cut the top off the bolts and welded them onto the bolts and got around the job that way, I have told you before that in Thailand it's not easy sometimes to find what you want.

IMG_20160608_115205.jpg
Finished job all working good and solid.