• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing Stock Air Filters with K & N Oval Filters

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I have read numerous threads about air filter replacement. Mine were original (2015 - 1.8 Liter) and after looking at them during maintenance, decided to replace them. I also noticed some oil blowby from the crank case vent hose where it returns to intake in the rubber adapter from the filter housing to the intake, not much, but just enough that I didn't like it

Although the Riva replacements for the stock airbox are nice, and are quick and easy to do, they are expensive. So after measuring the general area after the stock air boxes were removed. I decided to go with the K & N RU-1540 Oval filters. Their website is cool, in that you can enter in the I.D. Opening, length, width, flange length. etc and perform a search that meets that criteria.

So the filters are 2- 3/4 ID opening, 4.0" wide, 6 -1/4" Tall and 6.0" long. I picked this size as it is a little more in surface area than the stock filter, and the flange is angled at 10 degrees which has a longer flange on one side to clear the casting on the left side of inlet. Perfect fit.
I believe a lot of excessive intake noise is when the replacement filters have a significantly smaller surface area than stock and as such creates the excessive sucking of air trying to fulfill the needs of the engine. At least that's my theory , (probably B.S.)

I then puchased an 3 port oil catch can from e-bay for $15.00 (really nice, have no idea how thay can make them for so cheap) which comes with the exhaust filter on the 3rd port and drain cockpit on the bottom for easy draining. Re-routed the hoses onto each of the other 2 ports and mounted.

The filters are are $56.00 each and the catch can $15.00 so about $127.00 for everything. Like every body has mentioned, do not expect any performance gains, but it eliminates purchasing future filters and no more oil residue going into throttle body. And I can't leave anything stock. It a Sickness!

Rickytrz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Hi Mike did you took some pictures for that upgrade?
By the way I have the same sickness too :winkingthumbsup"

shar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
subbed. I have been toying around with the idea of doing something similar. Interested to see your setup.

Thanks for sharing!

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@jEt_jAk I love this setup especially since I just changed the oil and what a PIA the current air filter case is to get around. Just a quick question, where does the Joiner, that you have listed, get placed? Is it to add ridigity to the current hose going to the filter case?

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The filter is a slightly different size, so this allows the filter to be connected to the intake hose.
Also the main benefit for me is the oil filter access. I can easily access it now. I could probably fit my whole body there now. The amount of space that stock filter assembly takes up is insane.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The filter is a slightly different size, so this allows the filter to be connected to the intake hose.
Also the main benefit for me is the oil filter access. I can easily access it now. I could probably fit my whole body there now. The amount of space that stock filter assembly takes up is insane.
Yep that was the first thing I noticed on your post pic! So the joiner goes into the intake hose and then the filter is strapped to the joiner? Thanks, Just ordered the setup and want to make sure I get it right.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I did this to mine! Riva blow off valve and breather filter and k&n filter with 3” pipe
Hows the blow off valve work? Can you hear it when you come off the throttle? You probably can't with the engine box closed, but it would be a cool factor though!

Medvec04

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hows the blow off valve work? Can you hear it when you come off the throttle? You probably can't with the engine box closed, but it would be a cool factor though!
Yes you can hear it with the cover closed. It also protects the supercharger clutch

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The cool factor of the BOV is saving your supercharger clutch from wear.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
What year is your 195? Want to see how hard it is to do and if it’s worth it. Also what’s your top speed right now?

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks to @jEt_jAk for the asisst on the new air filter..all done! Looks great can't wait to get her out later this week....I was glad I did this change for a couple of reasons, but if did find while doing the install that apparently the tube that protects the front oil breather was melted through, I checked the actual hose and no signs of a hole, repositioned the hose away from the motor and put the melted part up and away from its previous position, just ordered both anyway, going to replace asap.
20191223_140659.jpg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What's with the zip tie on the filter?