• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing Yamaha SX230 Scupper Valve

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No. The way the cooling system works will fill them automatically. When you first start the boat it will sound a bit louder but will quiet down after several minutes.

arlowe13

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Word of caution, don't twist the new scupper onto the old hose too hard... Ugh. :banghead:
20220602_200850.jpg

12jeep

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What is the size of the stock scupper. The one in your link is out of stock. I found one that is 2 3/16" Thread 4 1/4" OAL.
1 1/2 inch. I believe you would have trouble getting a 2 3/16 to fit even after you drilled a larger hole.

12jeep

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1 1/2 inch. I believe you would have trouble getting a 2 3/16 to fit even after you drilled a larger hole.
I think you misunderstood 1 1/2” diameter x 2 3/16” thread x 4 1/4” oal

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

12jeep

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My bad. Didn’t notice that. Yes I saw the Attwood. But then I saw this cheaper one. Should have paid more attention. Thanks.

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Google the part number above and it can be found cheaper than on Amazon right now. Unfortunately the price has gone up just like everything else. I paid only about $50-60 two years ago

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

EvenParr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK, partial noob here... I see details talking about moving the water box, and other stuff I have no idea what talking about. That said, the floor drain "cap" has broken off, and is no longer attached to the hose. I don't see a flapper piece, so I am assuming that is only on the rear of boat, not allowing water into the system, and not something I need to worry about for this quick fix???

1. Can I simply replace with the stainless steel option I see here, and use the same hose? I will check the rear of the boat next weekend, but all appears to be ok on the back side.
2. Do I need additional parts, or just that SS scupper I see.

Here are a couple pics of the broken one, from inside the cabin.

Attachments

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
OK, partial noob here... I see details talking about moving the water box, and other stuff I have no idea what talking about. That said, the floor drain "cap" has broken off, and is no longer attached to the hose. I don't see a flapper piece, so I am assuming that is only on the rear of boat, not allowing water into the system, and not something I need to worry about for this quick fix???

1. Can I simply replace with the stainless steel option I see here, and use the same hose? I will check the rear of the boat next weekend, but all appears to be ok on the back side.
2. Do I need additional parts, or just that SS scupper I see.

Here are a couple pics of the broken one, from inside the cabin.
This is not your scupper, simply a deck drain fitting. If you purchase the stainless scupper for the deck, it won't work properly. You need to find that part number and replace (and likely clean up/patch the damaged gel coat area)

EvenParr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is not your scupper, simply a deck drain fitting. If you purchase the stainless scupper for the deck, it won't work properly. You need to find that part number and replace (and likely clean up/patch the damaged gel coat area)
Thank you! I was hoping mine was going to be a simple quick fix. Now, I will have to pay attention the scupper next weekend, just to see how it looks. I'd hate to find out the hard way it needs replacing!

cjnapier

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
175638CF-0A1A-4BBB-96BB-A0D0DAEDCFB8.jpegA7D897B9-A60C-40A1-9FF9-26D3F931F557.jpeg
So word of caution for anyone with an older boat (04 AR230 HO here)… the nut for the scupper is too large in diameter and I didn’t discover until after starting the 4200 and tightening everything down as far as I could. Big mistake. Took me about a hour to realize why it wouldn’t tighten. Took about three hours to get the nut off at that point. I did do a dry fit and everything looked ok but didn’t tighten it down far enough to hit wherever it started rubbing. This was going really well until the mishap. I used the plumber’s wrench from Lowe’s and a set of channel
Lock pliers on the scupper tail. It’s a pain but thankfully was able to get about 95% of the way by hand.

On the upside, I did this as preventative maintenance and sure enough the old scupper was basically split in two by the time I made two turns on the plastic nut. Made removal really easy.

If you are thinking of replacing your drain plug or adding a plug with lighting consider doing it while you are down there. My plug had some pretty old silicone so I replaced it and used 4200.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
View attachment 199460View attachment 199461
So word of caution for anyone with an older boat (04 AR230 HO here)… the nut for the scupper is too large in diameter and I didn’t discover until after starting the 4200 and tightening everything down as far as I could. Big mistake. Took me about a hour to realize why it wouldn’t tighten. Took about three hours to get the nut off at that point. I did do a dry fit and everything looked ok but didn’t tighten it down far enough to hit wherever it started rubbing. This was going really well until the mishap. I used the plumber’s wrench from Lowe’s and a set of channel
Lock pliers on the scupper tail. It’s a pain but thankfully was able to get about 95% of the way by hand.

On the upside, I did this as preventative maintenance and sure enough the old scupper was basically split in two by the time I made two turns on the plastic nut. Made removal really easy.

If you are thinking of replacing your drain plug or adding a plug with lighting consider doing it while you are down there. My plug had some pretty old silicone so I replaced it and used 4200.
Hopefully you installed the stainless steel version 1683667368371.png