• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing Yamaha SX230 Scupper Valve

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you look in the picture you can't see the top threads on the nut. I had to grind about a quarter of an inch off of the nut so that it would not wedge the scupper valve up at an angle while I was tightening it. I also had to sand some type of epoxy off of the bottom of the inside of the boat so that the nut could sit low enough and not force the scupper valve up while I was tightening it.

Last edited:

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Y'all who have done this, does this look like the right part?

@agannole93 your profile says you have a bayliner, you would have to determine what your currently have,

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@agannole93 your profile says you have a bayliner, you would have to determine what your currently have,

@Scottintexas I tried removing that, we're about to pull the trigger tomorrow on a 2009 232LS and I know it has the factory scupper still in place. It's the first thing I want to change out before we get her out on the water this weekend so want to order it ahead of time.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's the correct one (just checked my Amazon Order History). You'll have the grind the right and left edges just a tad to make it fit but that's the one.

Edit: Found my original installation pics. Here's where I had to grind:
1595358955299.png

Also... DOUBLE SS hose clamps puh-lease!
1595358993738.png

You can either get the 'group' scupper wrench that's floating around here or use one of these things from the plumbing section of the local HW store:
1595359075078.png

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
congratulations on the new boat,
be sure to review the list of issues in my signature line below, especially the hammered silver tops of the seat backs, if they look sunburned or brittle they'll be tearing/denigrating within a year or two and that will be $2-4k to replace the interior,

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
congratulations on the new boat,
be sure to review the list of issues in my signature line below, especially the hammered silver tops of the seat backs, if they look sunburned or brittle they'll be tearing/denigrating within a year or two and that will be $2-4k to replace the interior,

Thank you, hoping all goes well tomorrow. There is already some tearing on the seat tops and some seam issues. We're getting the boat 4 or 5k below NADA, so already planning on getting the upholstery taken care of in the offseason this year. It's a low hours, well taken care of boat engine wise, just some cosmetic stuff to be taken care of. Planning on upholstery and likely seadek this offseason, she'll look good as new come next year.

Jobiwan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don’t try this with a pipe wrench, your expletives and frustrations go up 75% 🤨

Pierre-Claude Gauthier

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Rana and I replaced the scupper valve on our SX230 last night. This was the procedure that we used. I would appreciate critique from others who have done this.

1. Open the clean out plug lid.
2. Remove the twist out access port covers between the clean out plugs.
3. Release the clamps securing the large clean out plug tubes to the bilge cover.
4. Remove the screws holding the bilge cover down.
5. Lift the bilge cover slightly until it is free from the clean out plug tubes. The bilge cover may be sealed with caulk, mine was not.
6. Release the clamp securing the drain hose from the bottom of the bilge cover. Remove the clamp and set it aside or it will likely end up in the bilge.

The scupper valve is located in the bottom of the bilge directly below the starboard water box (round aluminum thing). I choose to reposition the water box rather than try to work around it.

View attachment 4144

7. Go to the engine compartment and loosen the clamp that secures the starboard water box to the engine.
8. Loosen the clamp and remove the hose coming out of the water box.
9. Remove the two rubber straps that secure the water box.
10. Pull the water box toward the stern and it will be free.
11. I was unable to remove the water box from the bilge so I tied it out of the way on the port side with a strap to the cleat on that side.

View attachment 4148

12. Loosen the clamp holding the scupper valve hose to the factory scupper valve. The hose is not very flexible and is held at several points. I chose to leave it in place allowing the factory scupper to slip out and the new scupper to slip into it.
13. I used @Lspeedss's scupper valve wrench to break loose the factory scupper valve nut then I removed it with my hand. This is a slow tedious process. Wearing long sleeves may help you avoid the feeling of fiberglass in your arm for the next few days.
14. Once the nut was off of the scupper I placed a piece of cardboard on the bottom edge of the transom to protect the gelcoat then used a pair of pliers and flat head screw driver to pull the factory scupper out of the boat.

As I finished removing the factory scupper the outer ring broke off. This may have been caused by my pulling on it but I suspect that over tightening of the nut at the factory played a role as well.

View attachment 4146

View attachment 4147

15. I used a razor blade to clean the old caulk off of the outside of the transom. I use my fingers and a paint scraper to clean up the inside.
16. Test fit your new scupper valve. I had to grind on the two sides to allow it to seat fully.
17. I put a heavy ring of Life Caulk around the inside of the new scupper valve before installing it. I also placed a lighter ring around the inside of the nut.

View attachment 4145

18. @Rana inserted the new scupper into the transom while I started the nut and attached the hose. She then held it in place while I tightened the nut. @Lspeedss points out that you want to have a bead of sealant between the hose and the scupper to avoid any leakage into the bilge (Thanks).
19. Wait a sufficient time for the caulk to dry. I am waiting 48 hours. Then fill the bilge with water to above the scupper valve and check for any leaks.
20. Reconnect the water box hose to the engine and tighten the clamp.
21. Reinstall the water box to its original location and strap it down.
22. Reconnect the hose the top of the water box and tighten the clamp.
23. Run a bead of easily removable caulk where the bilge cover will be reinstalled.
24. Reconnect the drain hose to the bottom of the bilge hose and tighten the clamp.
25. Slide the bilge cover into the clean out plug tubes.
26. Reinstall the bilge cover screws.
27. Tighten the clamps that secure the clean out plug tubes to the bilge cover.
28. Reinstall the access port covers into the bilge cover.
29. Step back and admire your shiny new scupper valve.

View attachment 4149
Thanks for stressing me with something I wasn’t worried about! :-(

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You joined in 2018 and your just now getting to the scupper???

I'd add a 2nd bilge since you keep it in the water and a solar charger to keep the battery fresh and maybe some sort of flashing led warning light if it's pumping since you may not see or hear it (not sure what your mooring situation is)

mvermeesch

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mother trucker! Thanks for everything you all posted. My wife and I did this today. We're still married, this was more stressful than docking the first time! Seriously though, without this forum and specifically this post I'd never have tackled this.

Attachments

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
@Rana and I replaced the scupper valve on our SX230 last night. This was the procedure that we used. I would appreciate critique from others who have done this.

1. Open the clean out plug lid.
2. Remove the twist out access port covers between the clean out plugs.
3. Release the clamps securing the large clean out plug tubes to the bilge cover.
4. Remove the screws holding the bilge cover down.
5. Lift the bilge cover slightly until it is free from the clean out plug tubes. The bilge cover may be sealed with caulk, mine was not.
6. Release the clamp securing the drain hose from the bottom of the bilge cover. Remove the clamp and set it aside or it will likely end up in the bilge.

The scupper valve is located in the bottom of the bilge directly below the starboard water box (round aluminum thing). I choose to reposition the water box rather than try to work around it.

View attachment 4144

7. Go to the engine compartment and loosen the clamp that secures the starboard water box to the engine.
8. Loosen the clamp and remove the hose coming out of the water box.
9. Remove the two rubber straps that secure the water box.
10. Pull the water box toward the stern and it will be free.
11. I was unable to remove the water box from the bilge so I tied it out of the way on the port side with a strap to the cleat on that side.

View attachment 4148

12. Loosen the clamp holding the scupper valve hose to the factory scupper valve. The hose is not very flexible and is held at several points. I chose to leave it in place allowing the factory scupper to slip out and the new scupper to slip into it.
13. I used @Lspeedss's scupper valve wrench to break loose the factory scupper valve nut then I removed it with my hand. This is a slow tedious process. Wearing long sleeves may help you avoid the feeling of fiberglass in your arm for the next few days.
14. Once the nut was off of the scupper I placed a piece of cardboard on the bottom edge of the transom to protect the gelcoat then used a pair of pliers and flat head screw driver to pull the factory scupper out of the boat.

As I finished removing the factory scupper the outer ring broke off. This may have been caused by my pulling on it but I suspect that over tightening of the nut at the factory played a role as well.

View attachment 4146

View attachment 4147

15. I used a razor blade to clean the old caulk off of the outside of the transom. I use my fingers and a paint scraper to clean up the inside.
16. Test fit your new scupper valve. I had to grind on the two sides to allow it to seat fully.
17. I put a heavy ring of Life Caulk around the inside of the new scupper valve before installing it. I also placed a lighter ring around the inside of the nut.

View attachment 4145

18. @Rana inserted the new scupper into the transom while I started the nut and attached the hose. She then held it in place while I tightened the nut. @Lspeedss points out that you want to have a bead of sealant between the hose and the scupper to avoid any leakage into the bilge (Thanks).
19. Wait a sufficient time for the caulk to dry. I am waiting 48 hours. Then fill the bilge with water to above the scupper valve and check for any leaks.
20. Reconnect the water box hose to the engine and tighten the clamp.
21. Reinstall the water box to its original location and strap it down.
22. Reconnect the hose the top of the water box and tighten the clamp.
23. Run a bead of easily removable caulk where the bilge cover will be reinstalled.
24. Reconnect the drain hose to the bottom of the bilge hose and tighten the clamp.
25. Slide the bilge cover into the clean out plug tubes.
26. Reinstall the bilge cover screws.
27. Tighten the clamps that secure the clean out plug tubes to the bilge cover.
28. Reinstall the access port covers into the bilge cover.
29. Step back and admire your shiny new scupper valve.

View attachment 4149
Nice write-up! Hopefully that was cut wasn't too bad....

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice write-up! Hopefully that was cut wasn't too bad....
I am well known for cutting myself but somehow avoid bleeding too much.....

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
That's the correct one (just checked my Amazon Order History). You'll have the grind the right and left edges just a tad to make it fit but that's the one.

Edit: Found my original installation pics. Here's where I had to grind:
View attachment 126704

Also... DOUBLE SS hose clamps puh-lease!
View attachment 126705

You can either get the 'group' scupper wrench that's floating around here or use one of these things from the plumbing section of the local HW store:
View attachment 126706
You won't need to grind it on the newer models. It's mounted flush above the starboard nozzle.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Don’t try this with a pipe wrench, your expletives and frustrations go up 75% 🤨
I'll be using a crows foot with and extension.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I am well known for cutting myself but somehow avoid bleeding too much.....
So the water boxes.....Are those wet mufflers/catalysts?

mvermeesch

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do have a question. My waterboxes/mufflers were full of water, do i need to refill them upon reassembly?