• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing Yamaha SX230 Scupper Valve

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Vedner19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Okay left my boat tied up over-night at the marina. Came to load the boat and water was up to the bottom of both motors, ski lockers ect..full. So...bought the stainless steel scupper. My plastic one broke while I was taking it out so there's another one for the list. My question is I ordered 1 oz. of the the marine 3M 5200 sealant. Will I make it with one ounce? How much did everyone else use?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Okay left my boat tied up over-night at the marina. Came to load the boat and water was up to the bottom of both motors, ski lockers ect..full. So...bought the stainless steel scupper. My plastic one broke while I was taking it out so there's another one for the list. My question is I ordered 1 oz. of the the marine 3M 5200 sealant. Will I make it with one ounce? How much did everyone else use?
I'm starting to seize just thinking about the scupper debacle we went through.... on our 2nd attempt and with our 2nd $60 stainless steel scupper we used 4200 and an ounce tube was plenty....

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Vedner19. I would consider using something other than 5200. 4200 or Life Caulk might be a better alternative. I used the Life Caulk (West Marine) as it gave me a little more working time and IS removable if necessary. Yamaha only used silicone sealant which, although not the best option, didn't cause leaks. It was cracked or broken scuppers that caused the problem. The other sealants are better than silicone. The small tube of 4200 or Life Caulk is more than you will need.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I went with the 4200 in the slim chance it needed to be removed anytime in the future. I bought the standard tube, not sure of the ozs, and it was plenty.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My Scupper was very intent on staying put. Luckily, my angle grinder prevailed. It was an epic battle.
Was the scupper you replaced metal or partially metal? I think you may have replaced it for the second time.

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, it was metal but had no flapper valve.... maybe its not called a scupper without a flapper? Anyway, I was getting water into the boat through the deck drain when coming off plane.

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just some thoughts on scupper replacement. Ran into some trouble and think a few of my ideas made life easier. Scupper broke off and the remainder was near impossible to remove. Disconnect tube in the engine and deliver it out the transom to work on. Slide it out, just make sure to slide the scupper nut and the hose clamp on before putting the scupper back on. Worked well.

Attachments

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone had issues with the nut being too big and not allowing the scupper to sit flat? I think that is a problem I am having when I tried to install it last night in a 2006 AR230. I am using the scupper from replacementboatparts.com.

Thanks

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone had issues with the nut being too big and not allowing the scupper to sit flat? I think that is a problem I am having when I tried to install it last night in a 2006 AR230. I am using the scupper from replacementboatparts.com.

Thanks
Did you Machine the outer ring to allow it to fully seat? I did notice that there was not much clearance on the nut. Just enough to keep it spinning. Hardest part was keeping the scupper positioned and prevent rotation. Def better to have an assistant.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I grinded the outer edge of the scupper to allow it to sit flush on the back of the boat without the nut attached, but as i begin to tighten the nut it seems to start to leverage against the bottom of the boat and wedge the scupper up at an angle. I have installed a scupper on a 2008 AR230 and didnt have this issue, but this time it seems to be giving me trouble in the 2006 AR230.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is the inside wall flat where the nut goes? Maybe thats what caused the sinking?
Yes, it has a flat surface on both sides. I was kind of in a hurry when i tried installing it and I didnt have a scupper wrench, so maybe that was the issue. I am going to try again tonight or tomorrow and see what happens.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So after all these scupper valve replacements, I'm the only on to experience this?

Attachments

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@PaulyB
What am I looking at in your picture?