• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Retractable Transom Straps

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Who all us using these bolt-on, retractable transom straps? What brand are you using, and what size?
What is the load capacity and what is the break strength? Most importantly, how do you like them?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use boat buckles. The buckles themselves are great.

The stainless bolt and nut they provide do not work well and require lubrication to install. Mine galled and completely seized up when putting them on. I had to cut one off and get new bolts - they sent me a second set for free. I’ve read about others having the same problem with the hardware.

Last edited:

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
my trailer came with these fulton buckles attached and they work well. i figured they were standard on the shorelander trailers...but maybe these were a dealer add-on? my boat also came with a different bow-roller, not the standard dull yellow one i've seen (not a stoltz either)...

Amazon.com

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Get the Stainless Steel Ones. Boat Buckles are fantastic.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have the stainless steel boat buckle brand as well. I read the reviews before I bought them about the hardware. I didn't even bother with it. Tossed it in the parts bin and went and bought stainless hardware from Ace.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boat buckles, stainless. Never had a problem with the hardware that I can recall, but it's been a few years since they were installed. TBH, these are straps to hold the boat in position on the trailer. They're not magic, if the boat wants to fly off due to forces unforseen, it's going to happen. What I can say is that when you forget that you've got them on, or you trust the wife to have removed them, they hold your boat on the trailer like nobody's business to the point that throttle is the final indicator that they're still on and doing their job. Or so I've heard...from a friend who did this...never happened to me, of course...#facepalm

DiggerPA

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I installed Boat Buckles Stainless Steel, and I love them. But had the same bolt issue where I had to cut one off as it seized half way on. Went to Home Depot and purchased all stainless hardware.

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I installed these. The factory mounting points didn't work so well, so I drilled holes on the underside of the trailer frame to mount them so they head straight back to the tie downs. Also grabbed some different bolts. They work very well.

Amazon.com

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Something that just came to mind after looking at @bubbasuwannee's link, I can't tell about the quality of the bolts used, but you can track down some info on the web about how bolts are graded. Grab yourself some Grade 8 bolts to use on these things. I don't know if they even make stainless in Grade 8, but using a Nylock nut should aid in removal if you end up wanting/needing to replace them later.

Sherwood

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I love them. They help me get the boat centered if it ends up on the fender.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Thanks for the input... Stainless Steel 2" BoatBuckles it is..

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
So, I went to Amazon and found these. I've had great luck with Rhino USA products in the past, so figured I'd give these a try. These are well built parts, and lifetime warranty, We tore a strap once on a trail, sent them a pic, no questions asked, they sent out a new one. It was a buddy's fault it tore, the way he rigged it, and they replaced it anyway.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I went to Amazon and found these. I've had great luck with Rhino USA products in the past, so figured I'd give these a try. These are well built parts, and lifetime warranty, We tore a strap once on a trail, sent them a pic, no questions asked, they sent out a new one. It was a buddy's fault it tore, the way he rigged it, and they replaced it anyway.
It doesn’t look like they’re stainless but as long as the warranty holds I guess that’s up to you. Mine are some off brand non-stainless and they’ve held up a few years so far with no issues. I rinse them after every use and spray some wd40 on them after they dry.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Yea, I found the stainless ones after I fitted these. I am a fan of WD40, and a believer I powder coated finishes... Hopefully they hold up.