• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Retro fitting jet ski motor to an old fibreglass boat

Gilera

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Not sure if I am in the right place here but would love to hear whether anyone has done something similar.

I am considering implanting a jet ski powerplant and jet into an older fibreglass boat. It seems that lots of people are doing this to aluminium boats these days but I could only find a few youtube videos of people doing it to a glass boat, mostly in a very half-assed way. I am not able to weld aluminium and would like to learn more about glassing. I have plans down the track to do up a larger fishing boat in the 18-21ft range and it would be good to practice on something smaller and less expensive.

My idea is something like this:
Use a mid 90's sea doo 2 stroke motor (85hp) and jet unit (with trim) and either glass in a portion of the original jet ski hull or make engine mounts in the boat and just cutout a hole for the intake/pump unit. The advantage to the first idea is that there should be less alignments issues but the advantage to the second idea is that the hull repair would not be absorbing all of the torque of the motor and the mounts could be tied into the stringers.

The motor is relatively simple compared to the later, more high power jet ski motors although they are all pretty highly strung. I am happier working on 2 stroke motors and have some experience in this and I already have the donor jet ski.

I need to find a suitable donor boat. The weight of the boat will be important to ensure decent performance. There are quite a lot of older "ski" type fibreglass runabouts that are pretty cheap in Australia and these are usually set up for forward controls already. They often need to have floor/transom replaced but I would have to cut up the floor anyway and the transom strength should be less important for a jet. Ideally I would like to fit 2 adults and 3 kids (perhaps a rear bench seat over the top of the motor cover) which would mean about 13ft minimum. I am worried that if I go much bigger it will end up underpowered. I guess a boat rated to 40-50hp outboard should be about right.

I would like some honest opinions on this - positive or negative. I would be using the boat for fishing in the rivers and estuaries and general family fun boating/towing tubes etc.

Any advice on free resources on glassing techniques or products also appreciated.

I have nothing of value to add.

I just want to see you do it. Be sure to post pictures!

Same here, nothing constructive to add but would love to see it happen.

Wait, isn’t this what they do at the Yamaha factory, take a wave runner motor or two and put it in a boat???

There are a few interesting pwc to boat converters available that may shed some ideas onto your project.

Wait, isn’t this what they do at the Yamaha factory, take a wave runner motor or two and put it in a boat???

Yes they do, and probably in a much more professional manner than I am capable of!! Still I am determined to do it myself as a fun project. I'm not really interested in still having a jet ski so I am not really interested in those dock-it type setups but I can see they would appeal to many.

I love a good boat project! :winkingthumbsup"

Especially when someone is doing all the work! :)

I don't have much technical advice to give, but I hope you post lots of pictures and I will for following the thread.

Jim

Ha - I love it how everyone is quick to sign me up for heaps of work for their entertainment!! No seriously, it would be good to get feedback along the way and i'll definitely post lots of pics. I need to decide on a suitable hull first. Has no one on the forum done anything remotely similar to this? Would surprise me as at least in Australia factory jet boats are few and far between. There are a few Hamilton jets kicking around from the 70's with big petrol inboards but even they are getting quite rare.

This sounds like a fun project. I guess alot questions will have to be answered dependent upon what boat you choose. Look for something with a beefy transom and longitudinal stringers with some girth. Most will be wood over fiberglass constructed so watch out for rot in all these composites. Take a hammer to all the structure and test for dead wood under the glass. If transom or support stringers are rotten, you are in for alot of work to get the motor ready to mount. Just thinking out loud, I would probably be bolting on plate steel stiffeners for transom and doubling up on engine support footings. Sounds cool!

I guess alot questions will have to be answered dependent upon what boat you choose.

True this. I am no expert on determining the state of timber inside hulls and transoms beyond the obvious soft spots and giving the leg on an outboard (if one is fitted) a good yank up and down to look for flex. It will be a tense time when cutting a hole in the floor and looking underneath in any of the hulls from the 70's and 80's. I feel I have to factor in some strengthening at the very least.

Last edited:
It would be a lot easier to find a boat designed to accept an outboard, get an outboard motor, then a kit to convert the prop lower unit to a jet.

Expect a 30-50% power loss between prop to jet on the same motor.

It would be a lot easier to find a boat designed to accept an outboard, get an outboard motor, then a kit to convert the prop lower unit to a jet.

Easier to fit yes, but not as easy to get decent power which is needed with a jet. A 36kg Rotax 720 engine puts out 85hp (when it is running!).

So the Weight of the boat will def be a factor. I would venture to say something less than 1500ish lbs?

Yes im thinking even that would be on the heavy side for the motor. One of the problems is that there is very little info available on most of these old hulls including weight.

iBoats forums has more wacky build/restoration stuff than you’ll find here.

I restored and modified an old aluminum 1974 Starcraft and I had saved a link to a brochure from back then that listed weights but the link appears to be dead.

Starcraft made a number of small to mid sized aluminum and fiberglass models that might work for what you’re doing.

I want to say my 16’ was just under 1,000lbs from the factory and I’m confident it would beat my 212 in a drag race with a 90hp Johnson.

YouTube surprisingly has a bunch of jet ski mated to boat builds. This build is pretty close to your idea. Looks like it isn’t finished yet, but the 5 part series so far is very descriptive.

i'd be worried that jet 85 HP in a 1500 lb boat is a bit on the weak side.. maybe a Yamaha 110 HP TR1 be a better choice? they are cheap and plentiful from rental jet skis... I have a 15' seadoo sportster with a 155HP 4-tec in it and its WFO GPS speed is about where my 2500 lb twin 135 HP 21' AR210 liked to cruise... will find out shortly what twin 160 HP MR-1's do for cruise and top speed.

I had a 15’ euroline cyclone sport jet with a 175hp Mercury sport jet and pump. It was under 1,000 lbs dry and topped out around 50 mph. That said, a jet boat comparable in length and weight but with an 85 hp motor may have trouble getting on plane and probably wouldn’t break 30 mph. I think the best hull is going to be a steel fishing boat because of the weight and strength. Alternatives are a small rib or maybe a small wooden canoe.
See pics.
1C4DF86F-6C56-4A96-818B-5358C9FA117B.pngF442ED1C-1BC3-4022-B5C4-399C0F2F7AB3.png8880196C-3DF0-45BD-92AC-C1ED939C90B3.png50467E13-6EB6-4DF5-BEEF-683EE986039D.png95726D58-95A8-4BA3-B66C-65D604B311EB.pngEE8694AB-4ADA-4776-8D55-ABE8154ABBAD.png36357C0B-48D7-4090-9F96-7911EF0907D5.png
Whatever you decide to go with, I’m looking forward to seeing pics of your project.

Last edited:
Here is the opposite1640281939220.png
but people have been putting ski engines in boats for a long time there was a show on tv where they captured pythons in the everglades and one skiff had a jet ski engine installed in it. This looks like an aluminum hull adding a ski engine to it. Fiberglass would probably be easier . I rebuilt a 19 foot I.O. and converted it to a sea drive with a 140 johnson , took that boat 16 miles off shore for years.
1640282195883.png

Back