• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Reupholstering or Recovering Seats

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I reupholstered my rear seat cushions on my LS2000. There were a few tears underneath the seats and the tops were not as white/clean as I wanted them. It seemed easy so I tackled this

Tools:
1) I bought the crown stapler from Harbor Freight ($22) which turned out to be a great tool. I started with my manual, heavy duty T50 staple gun and that was not going to do the trick. If you buy this make sure you buy the one that works with the T50 staples.
2) I ordered Manel (rust proof) staples on line. The staples are hard to find locally and they are better than stainless for marine applications.
3) Marine grade vinyl. I bought this from Joann Fabric and you can get a 20% coupon by signing up for the email list. This took my vinyl cost to <$20. I am not even sure what it cost it was so little
4) flathead screwdriver and needle nose pliers - used to remove old staples

I did not replace the foam on my seats since it was in good condition. I simply pulled all of the old staples off, pulled off the old vinyl which was real mildewy underneath, and recovered using the new vinyl.

My seats did not come out wrinkle free on the sides but I stopped caring since my cushions sit inside of a surround padding and you do not see the sides of my seats.

After I was done, I tried a few other quick searches for getting out the side wrinkles and I found the link below. This is the answer to how you do it right and I wish I had found this earlier. The bottom line is heat, heat, heat. I used a heat gun but I would recommend using a blowdryer so you do not over do it.

Link:
http://www.airfoolers.com/performance/seatrecover.html

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice link -- that cat is a pro! Took him 2 hours....patience is key.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@4x15mph Do you have any pics of your cushions? We’re considering having our cushions done, but may tackle ourselves if it’s as easy as it sounds. My wife and I did a 4 wheeler seat last year that turned out fine. (She did the measure and cut, I ran the stapler)

I’m just thinking that the original cushions have a few seams in them, that I don’t think I could duplicate.

I guess you’d have to do all of them so they match, probably?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just did the rear 3 seat bottoms and they came out pretty good. I have since stained them by trying to store them using rubber mats in between them. It is so hard to keep this vinyl completely white/clean. You will see the wrinkles in the seats below but they sit down inside surround pieces so you don’t see it

I had someone redo the rear sundeck pad and it came out great and I could never have done that big piece. B3BA02B9-E226-429A-BF81-6521A953785B.jpegF2747329-98FC-4321-A778-021E30A152B3.jpeg

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks. I think that turned out good. I wouldn’t be worrying about those wrinkles either.

Soon as I get the boat back from the shop, tomorrow hopefully, I have a call in to get a quote from a local guy. I’m told he’s “good and cheap”. So, we’ll see what that actually means... and what his turn around time is. I don’t think I want to wait until after the season very bad.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 , I didn't see that you have a newer boat. I would go with a professional job personally. I found a great aircraft upholsterer that did the sundeck. It was $300 or $400 and came out great. A whole interior on a boat like yours has to be at least $2K although I have seen some get it done for less and they got what they paid for.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My cousin has an aircraft guy that has done seats for a couple of his project planes, actually. After I see this local guy in person, I may give him a call. He’s an hour away, but you’re right in that it needs to be done right the first time.

If it’s going to be that expensive though, I’ll be tempted to leave it as is another year or do it myself with the intent of having it redone.

I just purchased ballast stuff and startup surf gear so my budget is quickly getting shot to pieces for this year. Lol

Bubba7827

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
thanks for posting. I will need to do mine soon.

Benbalk

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
After I took my old vinyl off the seats were really mildew and moldy— any suggestions? I assume if I put new on over they will just eventually mold the new vinyl? Not sure it’s gonna help, but I poured some water/bleach mix over them in the shower and let the shower run in them till full soaked, then stood on them with my feet to squeeze the water out… they are like a sponge and don’t release the water well (seems weird for a bit cushion), I have them sitting in the sun to drain out… still look pretty “blackened” in areas but hopefully mold is dead. Any suggestion or input??

Attachments

Russell

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I'd say replace however I don't have a clue on where to find cushion material. Good luck.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It depends on how long you want to keep the boat. You can use the existing and then sell, but if you want to hang on to it for a while, use new foam. You will need to cut and contour the foam.