• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ribbon Delete? Worth it?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is everyone's thought on doing this on a 2020 AR210? Is it even worth the trouble?

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've done it on both my current and previous twin engine Yamaha boats. Absolutely !! Very little expense or effort for big benefit. I used the Aqua Sports Ribbon delete rings on both projects.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like you have the 1.8's now, of course I have the smaller engines, was hoping to hear from someone who has done it on the same engine?

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
From what I understand on the tr1's the process isnt so easy, id be interested to hear if anyone has done it though

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
What's the original purpose of the ribbon? Looks like some sort of screen/filter to keep out debris maybe. Any negatives or risks?

I am covered under the YES warranty for a couple years, so hesitant to do anything that could void the warranty either way.

ScottS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
What's the original purpose of the ribbon? Looks like some sort of screen/filter to keep out debris maybe. Any negatives or risks?

I am covered under the YES warranty for a couple years, so hesitant to do anything that could void the warranty either way.
It is a spark arrestor to prevent a backfire from reaching the intake side of the manifold and coming into contact with the fresh air and fuel prior to the cylinders. See link below:

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
It is a spark arrestor to prevent a backfire from reaching the intake side of the manifold and coming into contact with the fresh air and fuel prior to the cylinders. See link below:

Ah I do remember reading about that requirement in the boat safety course.

Is there a reason many seem to have deemed this as non-essential? I am guessing this may have been debated in the past.

ScottS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Ah I do remember reading about that requirement in the boat safety course.

Is there a reason many seem to have deemed this as non-essential? I am guessing this may have been debated in the past.
Because on modern fuel injected engines the probability of this happening is very slim. That being said, some people (I will do this if I delete the ribbon this winter) replace the entire air box and filter when they do the ribbon delete. They replace the air box and filter with a USCG rated air filter that is designed to act as a spark arrestor. That way you get the great airflow without the added amount of minimal risk or being out of coast guard compliance.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Because on modern fuel injected engines the probability of this happening is very slim. That being said, some people (I will do this if I delete the ribbon this winter) replace the entire air box and filter when they do the ribbon delete. They replace the air box and filter with a USCG rated air filter that is designed to act as a spark arrestor. That way you get the great airflow without the added amount of minimal risk or being out of coast guard compliance.
Gotcha... Yea I thought that requirement was just for carburetor engines. Either way, replacing the filter with the arrestor included sounds like a no brainier when removing the original, as long as it doesn't just move the bottleneck.