• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rotax 4-Tec Supercharged Oil Type - Need Help

hvluve

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Guys, I'm thinking about changing the oil in my 2015 Glastron 187 model, and I'm wondering if I can use any other types of oil or do I have to use OEM XPS oil?

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
@hvluve here's a couple threads which have some oil info:

https://jetboaters.net/threads/rotax-engine-substitute-oil-filter.12918/
https://jetboaters.net/threads/engine-oil-for-supercharged-intercooled-rotax-engine.20737/

there might be more related info in the Scarab and Chaparral sections. Suggest going into each section (rotax, scarab, chaparral) and searching 'oil' within them.

from all the posts I've read, the oil below is perfect for our engines at 1/2 the brp oil cost. I've always used the brp oil in my boat, but this spring, strongly considering switching over to the Rotella

1584638011820.png

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
That's what I use too. Just do a search for the oil pictured above. There's lots of info on this.

hvluve

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Thanks for the inputs, the only thing is this oil is labeled for diesel engines & that's why I wasn't sure if I should go with this or OEM.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks for the inputs, the only thing is this oil is labeled for diesel engines & that's why I wasn't sure if I should go with this or OEM.
You'll be fine. There's tons of good info here on this oil. Search...

John P Jones

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Is there somewhere I can order the coil packs for Rotax 4-Tec 200's?
Plug misfiring and the marina wanted $100/coil pack. I found some second hand replacements on line for MUCH less, and it worked fine, but it started popping up - not staying down as tight as the OEM PN. So I'd like to find a direct replacement without spending $100/coil pack. Having 2 powerplants in the boat, that can get expensive.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Is there somewhere I can order the coil packs for Rotax 4-Tec 200's?
Plug misfiring and the marina wanted $100/coil pack. I found some second hand replacements on line for MUCH less, and it worked fine, but it started popping up - not staying down as tight as the OEM PN. So I'd like to find a direct replacement without spending $100/coil pack. Having 2 powerplants in the boat, that can get expensive.
Probably better if you start a new post on this. Might get more views. I found the coil here but it’s $108 each. At least this gives you a part number to work with for searching. Try searching seadoo sites too. Might help. 0460679 Ignition Coil - Johnson/Evinrude, OMC | Crowley Marine

hvluve

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
@hvluve here's a couple threads which have some oil info:

https://jetboaters.net/threads/rotax-engine-substitute-oil-filter.12918/
https://jetboaters.net/threads/engine-oil-for-supercharged-intercooled-rotax-engine.20737/

there might be more related info in the Scarab and Chaparral sections. Suggest going into each section (rotax, scarab, chaparral) and searching 'oil' within them.

from all the posts I've read, the oil below is perfect for our engines at 1/2 the brp oil cost. I've always used the brp oil in my boat, but this spring, strongly considering switching over to the Rotella

View attachment 113871
Did you switch over to Rotella? If so, how's it perform for you?

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Did you switch over to Rotella? If so, how's it perform for you?
sorry for late reply.... yes, been using Rotella for last 2 seasons and it is perfect. I'm on a vortex Facebook group where others use it as well and all positive feedback.

MD23679

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
I use AMSOIL , never had issues . Make Sure its NOT 100% SYNTHETIC .

The codes are as follows: SM: Vehicles manufactured between 2002-2009.

FC-W stands for Four-Stroke Cycle, Water Cooled Gasoline Engine Lubricant. NMMA certification indicates an oil has been tested by a certified laboratory and NMMA has issued a license for that oil's formulation and it registers the approved brands that have been tested.

Attachments

Last edited: