• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rubber window filler gasket is short on one side

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Im not sure how I've missed this over the years but while cleaning the boat today I noticed the starboard side rubber filler gasket that sits below the windshield frame is short on one side. WTF :D. Anyone else? I need to check and see if this piece is available. If so I imagine it's cheaper than the gas I'd burn taking it to the dealer and back not to mention the downtime.

Edit - it's hard to tell but is kit 1 or item 2 the rubber piece? It says eye strap but not sure if this is for the top of the windshield. https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/56017cc187a86615687af972/helm

Starboard side is short.

IMG_7743.JPG

IMG_7746.JPG

Port side is fine.

IMG_7749.JPG

IMG_7748.JPG

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Honestly it probably shrank with the heat and time.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
But wouldn't the otherside do it as well? My boat stays garaged so it's not like it's out in the heat and sun unless it's on the water.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not necessarily. When rubber gaskets are extruded they run down a long line and this puts tension in them when cured through ovens and such. Every part has a different shrink factor even in the same run because of a lot of different variables. Rubber intake on the extruders, tension of a loop going through a saw, puller belts down line, they all have variables. A company takes measures to ensure a more predictable shrinkage but not all of it is 100% and it happens no matter what.

I was a line engineer for a couple of rubber and plastic extrusion companies for many years. Glad I don't do that anymore.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'll probably just find some similar material and cut the pieces to fit in the gaps or try and make a new piece altogether. It would be interesting to know if others on here have gaps too. Next time you're out by your boat have a look and let us know if yours is also short, shrank or whatever.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yup looks like you're right @jcyamaharider

I keep all the pics and videos of my boat since day one as a log. I went back through from our maiden voyage and sure enough the piece was the right length, so it has shrank over time. You can see it fine in these pics...

IMG_4540.JPG IMG_4548.JPG

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Freakin awesome man! You're my hero :D

Crazy how mine shrank so soon for a 2016 compared to yours being older.
Ya, I am surprised that happened so soon on your '16. I know you said you keep it inside, but the heat/cold cycles and possibly all the UV you guys get down south had something to do with it. My boat came from Va., A little warmer than Vt.

Is the extrusion the same profile as yours? I am guessing it was.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea it looks similar I think. I'm going to order some and I will let you guys know how it fits.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Upon further review looks like mine is more tubular than yours @zipper . Hmmm need to find something like it now.

IMG_7756.JPG IMG_7757.JPG

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea I've seen that but it's hard to tell. Not going to pay that much lol so I will try to find something similar.

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@haknslash how much do you need? I have the opposite problem. Mine is too long so it bulges out & I have to keep pushing it back in. I have thought about cutting it off (1-2” at least) but I haven’t just in case it shrinks but I could trim it and mail you the nub if that would be enough to fill your gap

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@haknslash Try Mcmaster-carr, they're a great industrial supply house. I've gotten all kinds of extruded seals and other raw materials from them in the past.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber/=1bsx70r
The 1/2" x 1/4" might be close. Sorry just realized the link isn't connecting to exactly where I wanted it to. If you follow the link, click on rubber, then foam, then scroll down to neoprene foam tubing and click on that and it'll give a choice of sizes. If I can get a better link up, I will. That link also doesn't show nearly all that is available from them. Just go to www.mcmaster.com if you want to see everything.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My 2010 242 ls driver’s side window trim looks like @haknslash ’s. Blame it on the constant temperature cycling over the years. I try not to let little things like this bother me.

REM835

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Mine was like that when bought new. Dealer replaced it before delivery. Two others in the showroom had the same thing. I agree temperature cycling probably shrinks it but I imagine it is also a quality control issue to start with.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@haknslash Went looking around for Taylor Made and Ameritex boat windshields to find some links for vinyls and found this http://www.taylormarine.com/hardware/parts/vinyls/index.html look to see if p/n 8307960 is what you need. I do not have this yr/model so I cannot compare or measure. It looks like the two companies merged and Ameritex now does covers/canvas and Taylor Made does windshields. There are a lot of other parts here too.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
softseal.com go to universal and then extrusion. I almost guarantee they have what you need. I do not know prices though.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great suggestions guys. We have an account through McMasrer-Carr if I find anything on there to use. I'll look at the other sites as well.

@druppert buddy I appreciate that but then yours will likely be short one day and you will hate the fact you cut yours for mine lol. I would have two gaps to fill if you had to cut material, both more than an 1" I'd guess without measuring. Save your boat. I'll find something I'm sure!