• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Running speakers when engine is off

Ctheodores

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought a new AR240 (2020). Is there a way to keep the speakers on when the boat is off.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I‘m not what your connext screen is on the newer AR on mine you just hold the soft key with the circle on it for a couple seconds and it kicks on

Ctheodores

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do both batteries have to be in the “on” position ?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don’t have the same boat but would bet that you just need the house battery to power the stereo.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just leave one key in the one position. It’s using your house battery but I think you need both to be on to work

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
On the older connext screens you just hold one of the 5 buttons below the screen down, when your key in the on position. When we drop anchor i just turn my engines off and the stereo stays on.

Ctheodores

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do the speakers draw a lot of the battery ? Will a few hours on the sandbar Playing music kill my battery ?

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You should be fine if you keep it plugged in to an on board battery charger when your not using it or run it long enough to charge the batteries afterwards.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Do the speakers draw a lot of the battery ? Will a few hours on the sandbar Playing music kill my battery ?
All good advice here. But you should switch to number 2 battery if sitting and listening to music. The amount of time depends on your setup (number of speakers and amps) and how loud they're playing.
Number 1 battery is to start the boat (also called your start battery)
Number 2 battery is to keep the boat on to listen to music. This is called your house battery. This battery is also for reserve should your #1 need help to start.
You should invest in an on-board charger to keep them at full capacity. Check my sig for ideas. Good luck and have fun!!!

Oh, :Welcome: to the forum!!!

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Also most dealers do not send you out the door with the best batteries. If you add or replace a battery remember they need to be of the same size and type. ( amp hr/ AMG or Lead acid)

Ctheodores

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So stock batteries and 4 JL speakers wired to the stock radio?? Would that be sufficient to run for a few hours every now and then? Boat is at a high and dry so an on board battery charger wouldn’t be feasible. I guess I can take both batteries home every other weekend and hook them up to my battery tender.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used to run that same setup (on an older boat). I floated for hours with the radio running and had no issues. Stock batteries lasted me 3 or 4 years, I think. Even added amps later and a sub. Still, plenty of juice.

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I‘m still running the stock house Battery and I play music for 3-4 hours and yet to run it out of power.

KC-AR240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So stock batteries and 4 JL speakers wired to the stock radio?? Would that be sufficient to run for a few hours every now and then? Boat is at a high and dry so an on board battery charger wouldn’t be feasible. I guess I can take both batteries home every other weekend and hook them up to my battery tender.

KC-AR240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I carry something similar to this. We've jump started a jetski 6 times one day last summer. If I didn't have this. I would have been towing him back in to shore.

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought a new AR240 (2020). Is there a way to keep the speakers on when the boat is off.
i struggled with this also, and i may be doing it wrong...but when i want to kill engines and keep music playing...i turn one engine off with the key, then turn that key back to 'on' position without starting it...then kill the other engine with the key and leave it 'off'. one key is 'on', one key is 'off' and the connext screen (and music) never turns off.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Different boat, but we have 2 amps , upgraded (6) polks and a sub. We float for 4 to 5 hours with only 1 battery for electronics and starting. We charge after every use , but just use a noco jump box if it were ever dead. That has never been needed though.

Mredman86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Do you guys turn off the start battery to be sure not to drain it? When I do it alarms every 5 min or so that the start battery has low volts. Well yes it does I have it turned off but it’s very annoying!

StanM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I leave both batteries on to avoid the annoying alarm. You can see the house battery drop in voltage over time. The starting battery stays at 12.8v. I ran our radio for about 4 hours anchored this weekend with no issues.