• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SeaDek Installation

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My Seadek is shipping out this week for the cockpit. I have read those that use an epoxy to fill in the snap holes and those that will use 5200. Is one better than the other or is there a better product? I have almost a full case of 5200 in tubes for my caulk gun. Wondering if I should fill the holes and let it set for a couple days or so before installed the SeaDek over the top or if it is fine just fill and cover.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A couple of thoughts from my install experience:

1) I almost wish I had just used one of the gelcoat paste on mine. The 5200 on the deck with time has yellowed a bit. Now, it is only the little holes and I am sure no one notices. 'Cept me.
2) The snap holes were not all covered by the Seadek. Some of the holes were like a 1/4" to the outside of the Seadek (notably the aftmost snaps).
3) Proper installation of the Seadek requires you clean up the deck with acetone before laying the Seadek. I let my 5200 dry a day before I did that. I did not want to put 5200 and then wipe over it with acetone while it was wet. Didn't seem like a good idea. (Is that why it yellowed? Could be, I guess, but still...)

All that said, you are going to rave over this Seadek once you get it installed. One of my favorite upgrades for the boat. Trim tabs a close second.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@tdonoughue I put the optional pieces on the step over and above the the seats on the engine compartment and sides. I was amazed how good it looked as well as how it was not as hot as the carpet I have which burns the feet on a hot day, I keep a bazooka squirt gun to cool it off. Plus I hate the crap that collects under. I also got the bow sides and anchor locker pieces.

What is this gelcoat paste you speak of?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

That is probably even the exact one for your boat (but check that--I only popped it up quickly). The website can be odd and confusing, so sometimes you have to call and give them your year and color and they will set you up. Also handy for nicks and things!

This is the real gelcoat. Pop this in there, cover it, let it firm up, sand, polish and you will never know there was a hole there. I have a few threads on gelcoat repair featuring this stuff...

Pokes1789

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@tdonoughue I put the optional pieces on the step over and above the the seats on the engine compartment and sides. I was amazed how good it looked as well as how it was not as hot as the carpet I have which burns the feet on a hot day, I keep a bazooka squirt gun to cool it off. Plus I hate the crap that collects under. I also got the bow sides and anchor locker pieces.

I just ordered those step-through pieces - what do you use to adhere them to the boat?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the 4200 UV as well and 4000 and some other things. May go the gel coat paste route though.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered those step-through pieces - what do you use to adhere them to the boat?
They adhere themselves with the backing. Just clean the surface with acetone. That is what I did.

Andy NJ

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree with tdonoughue with the 5200 discoloring, plus, it gets everywhere. Maybe gel coat repair kit.

Andy NJ

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
from another post.IMG_2478.JPEG

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another post referenced this stuff. I might use it link below. Also what color and pattern did you go with? We have the same boat and having a hard time deciding. 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant Fast Cure 5200 (06535) – Permanent Bonding and Sealing for Boats and RVs - White – 1 Ounce - 51135065358: Automotive Adhesives And Sealants: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Here is a picture of the optional pieces I installed early last month. Storm Gray over black 2" Was close enough so that it wouldn't look bad because I am not doing swim deck yet, just cockpit. Money is flying everywhere and my budget for the boat is depleted :rolleyes: Matches the rest of the interior decently.

1624973001006.png
With JetBoatPilot's price increase starting in 2 days, I figured may as well get some of it. Probably swim platform in the fall.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just called up to order some gelcoat and they indicated that for my model year they offered two whites.

1) Boat White
2) Jet White

Can anyone confirm which color I should purchase? Going to buy a bit extra to repair any nicks that occur as well so matching would be important. For future reference is there an Item number somewhere in the documentation or other place for my boat?

Pokes1789

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
O
Here is a picture of the optional pieces I installed early last month. Storm Gray over black 2" Was close enough so that it wouldn't look bad because I am not doing swim deck yet, just cockpit. Money is flying everywhere and my budget for the boat is depleted :rolleyes: Matches the rest of the interior decently.

View attachment 155167
With JetBoatPilot's price increase starting in 2 days, I figured may as well get some of it. Probably swim platform in the fall.
Oh wow thank you for telling me about the price increase I will order today!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They usually have a fall sale, but with the way things are going and their price increase, no way to know what that will be. I figure I may as well just get it now. Also right now they are running 2 weeks on turn time to shipping. The fall sale takes much longer and I want to enjoy it this year.

Pokes1789

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good call this is for the boat my wife and I just purchased that I called and talked with you about this weekend 👍🏻. We pick it up today and let the upgrades begin.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Pokes1789 Feel free to call me directly for anything again at anytime. Enjoy the boat. Hide the credit cards.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length

Ordered the step over and engine compartment SeaDeck in January color not a match think is was previous year/s. New sample arrived 3 weeks not a match either. Will at JBP is aware and is working to find a solution for the warm interiors.

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
ordered some pieces myself. Port/Starboard Engine Bay and the Engine/Boarding Step Combo.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ordered the step over and engine compartment SeaDeck in January color not a match think is was previous year/s. New sample arrived 3 weeks not a match either. Will at JBP is aware and is working to find a solution for the warm interiors.
Yeah, I wasn't going to deal with the color match, since it wasn't perfect and figured I would put it close and just replace the swim deck later.