• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SeaDek vs Carpet: How Does it Compare Cleaning & Viability Long Term?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Want some feedback from some of you that have had carpet in your boat for at least 6 months, and then switched to SeaDek (preferably from JetBoatPilot since that's where I'm thinking of buying from)...
Haven't had our new boat 2 months yet, but the factory marine mat is great. We had carpet for years and the mats are so comfortable and cool under the feet. Ours came with snap-in mats and today I added Seadek step over pads from JBP. We'll see how they work out, but everything I've read leads me to believe it's a good product:

seadek.jpg

The "cool grey over black" isn't quite a match, a bit on the light side actually, but they're very dry and might darken a bit with moisture exposure. JBP said the 2020 was lighter in colour, but I'm wondering if that was initial production and later models went back to smoke grey. Either way the pads look and feel great on our naked feet, so we're happy so far.
:D

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
So I have a 2015 240, that had the plush carpet in the main area and it came with cheap grey foam crap on the rear swim platform, seemed like it was deteriorating just sitting there.

Installed sea deck on swim platform, anchor locker surround, mat by front passenger seat, and head area.

I did not like the look of the Seadeck I seen installed in the main area as it has cutouts around all the screws for the ski locker bolts, cover for main gas tank etc. looked too choppy for me.

The carpet was high quality and I really liked it right up until we got caught in the rain several times.

Had to be pulled out and hung up to dry which could take 1-2 days. Not ideal when on vacation and on boat every day.

I found a place in Michigan that makes mats, uisng seagrass and other materials for boats. I had them send me several samples of the patterns, colors I wanted and checked them in the boat and against the carpet color. I then sent them my carpet and they used it as a pattern to make the new mats. I I hadd to install the snaps in the mats, but was very easy to do. Love te new stuff looks factory, dies instantly. and can be pulled out
@Mike
Haven't had our new boat 2 months yet, but the factory marine mat is great. We had carpet for years and the mats are so comfortable and cool under the feet. Ours came with snap-in mats and today I added Seadek step over pads from JBP. We'll see how they work out, but everything I've read leads me to believe it's a good product:

View attachment 126980

The "cool grey over black" isn't quite a match, a bit on the light side actually, but they're very dry and might darken a bit with moisture exposure. JBP said the 2020 was lighter in colour, but I'm wondering if that was initial production and later models went back to smoke grey. Either way the pads look and feel great on our naked feet, so we're happy so far.

View attachment 126980

@212s .....everyone I know who has Marine Mat loves it. I haven't heard any complaints that Sea Dek gets hot but I have heard that it lifts at the edges. Question - already having Marine Mat in the interior why didn't you choose it for the swim platform decks? :cool:

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve never taken my carpet out to dry it out. No mold or mildew. I stick a box fan in the boat after the cover is on for a day or two. We bring a extra towel to put on the carpet where it’s not shaded, it does get hot.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I’ve never taken my carpet out to dry it out. No mold or mildew. I stick a box fan in the boat after the cover is on for a day or two. We bring a extra towel to put on the carpet where it’s not shaded, it does get hot.
@Inthrustwetrust .....that's what we do an extra towel or flip flops....is annoying though. Enough for Marine Mat or Sea Dek...not sure.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@212s .....everyone I know who has Marine Mat loves it. I haven't heard any complaints that Sea Dek gets hot but I have heard that it lifts at the edges. Question - already having Marine Mat in the interior why didn't you choose it for the swim platform decks? :cool:
@Canuckjetboater not sure what you mean? The 212s came with "stick on" mats on the swim platforms, and snap-in for the interior spaces. Both are very comfy under foot.

As for lifting, can't comment yet, but the directions specifically stated to ensure a smooth application and push all the edges down firmly. The sticky backing is a very strong compound - I can't see any kind of lifting it up after application without ripping the Seadek material.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@Inthrustwetrust .....that's what we do an extra towel or flip flops....is annoying though. Enough for Marine Mat or Sea Dek...not sure.
The marine mats are never hot - that was one of the reasons we chose the 212 series, the mats are soft under foot and relatively cool to touch compared to carpet. We did a walkthrough of a Vortex with "woven" carpet vs a Scarab with mats in the sun on a hot day, and the mats were 10x better on the feet. Note we ALWAYS go on the boat with "naked feet only". If we buy another boat in the future, it will have mats without question.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
The marine mats are never hot - that was one of the reasons we chose the 212 series, the mats are soft under foot and relatively cool to touch compared to carpet. We did a walkthrough of a Vortex with "woven" carpet vs a Scarab with mats in the sun on a hot day, and the mats were 10x better on the feet. Note we ALWAYS go on the boat with "naked feet only". If we buy another boat in the future, it will have mats without question.
@212s .....agree 100% .....we were out on the boat today for about 5 hours. It was sunny all day. After about 30 minutes it was flip flops or double layer towel to protect bare feet. At first the Admiral thought adding Marine Mat to the cockpit and bow flooring might be a waste of money. After today her opinion is starting to change. The OEM Yamaha woven mat looks awesome....but it's just too hot underfoot on a sunny day! :cool:

Yamadale

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Want some feedback from some of you that have had carpet in your boat for at least 6 months, and then switched to SeaDek (preferably from JetBoatPilot since that's where I'm thinking of buying from)...

Here's the deal... I've got a new boat and carpet. I've planned from the beginning to eventually get SeaDek because I love the way it looks.
Now that I've had the boat for 2 months, I've noticed that I'm ALWAYS cleaning the thing! Dirt sticks to the white seats like crazy! The stock hydroturf on the rear swimdeck also gets stained incredibly easy. But, one thing I don't feel like I ever have to clean is the floor! The carpet just seems to mask any dirt, and all I ever do is go around the edges of the carpet once in awhile and pickup the dirt that's accumulating there.

Ironically, I feel like I'm always cleaning everything BUT the carpet, which always seems to just look clean and nice. I pulled it out only once to shake it off and clean underneath, and probably didn't really even need to. No mold/smell issue, or anything like that. So now I'm questioning whether or not it's really a good idea to put SeaDek in.

For those of you that have had carpet for long enough to get used to it with cleaning, and have switched to SeaDek - what are your thoughts regarding cleaning? Do you find you have to vacuum the SeaDek more, scrub it? Does dirt show up more than carpet? Does the dirt accumulate in all of those grooves and become annoying to clean? Any other discoveries in favor for or against SeaDek over carpet?

Thanks!!
I have sea deck pads from jet boat pilot on all Bow And transom fiberglass areas, but I will stick to carpet in my boat floor
The sea deck stains easily and does not clean off well at all.Also depending on what day you make your order jet boat pilot had to send me a different set of pads because their machining of the sea deck pads was very funky.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Some have said they don't like the look of the snow camo but it didn't bother me and it hides scratches and dings really well. Over time it has gotten a little darker because I haven't needed to do anything to clean it. One of the best mods to my boat by far.

Attachments

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@Canuckjetboater not sure what you mean? The 212s came with "stick on" mats on the swim platforms, and snap-in for the interior spaces. Both are very comfy under foot.

As for lifting, can't comment yet, but the directions specifically stated to ensure a smooth application and push all the edges down firmly. The sticky backing is a very strong compound - I can't see any kind of lifting it up after application without ripping the Seadek material.
He was asking why you didn't just order the same color marine mat for the step over. Since that came factory on the boat from marine mat so it was an exact match I believe

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
He was asking why you didn't just order the same color marine mat for the step over. Since that came factory on the boat from marine mat so it was an exact match I believe
Ok I get it...Marine Mat doesn't have the small step according to their website info and we weren't sure what colour was an exact match. I guess I could have inquired but if they don't have the small step, what's the point of getting half of what we wanted. Will at JBP gave me a discount code too which was nice.

As for match, now that they've gotten wet and have been exposed to more moisture, they seem a little darker. It's close enough that a friend stopped in for a day on the boat today and didn't notice the colour difference at all. I barely notice myself and it's close enough that we'll live with it. It's much nicer on the feet going back and forth over the steps so we're happy.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have sea deck pads from jet boat pilot on all Bow And transom fiberglass areas, but I will stick to carpet in my boat floor
The sea deck stains easily and does not clean off well at all.
We haven't had much staining issues but Dawn soap with a soft brush seems to work well for cleaning spots.
Also depending on what day you make your order jet boat pilot had to send me a different set of pads because their machining of the sea deck pads was very funky.
Oh that's odd...wouldn't think that could happen since I figured the machine does all the work. Maybe the bits were dull or something. Mine came out nicely cut and fit just right.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@212s .....agree 100% .....we were out on the boat today for about 5 hours. It was sunny all day. After about 30 minutes it was flip flops or double layer towel to protect bare feet. At first the Admiral thought adding Marine Mat to the cockpit and bow flooring might be a waste of money. After today her opinion is starting to change. The OEM Yamaha woven mat looks awesome....but it's just too hot underfoot on a sunny day! :cool:
I agree with that. Just got back in after a day on the water. It was fairly calm this morning with a very light breeze so the mats were about as hot as they could get in the sun, but were very comfortable to walk or sit on without issue. At least if you get mats you won't have to justify the purchase!

Chewiem16

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I have a 2015 240, that had the plush carpet in the main area and it came with cheap grey foam crap on the rear swim platform, seemed like it was deteriorating just sitting there.

Installed sea deck on swim platform, anchor locker surround, mat by front passenger seat, and head area.

I did not like the look of the Seadeck I seen installed in the main area as it has cutouts around all the screws for the ski locker bolts, cover for main gas tank etc. looked too choppy for me.

The carpet was high quality and I really liked it right up until we got caught in the rain several times.

Had to be pulled out and hung up to dry which could take 1-2 days. Not ideal when on vacation and on boat every day.

I found a place in Michigan that makes mats, uisng seagrass and other materials for boats. I had them send me several samples of the patterns, colors I wanted and checked them in the boat and against the carpet color. I then sent them my carpet and they used it as a pattern to make the new mats. I I hadd to install the snaps in the mats, but was very easy to do. Love te new stuff looks factory, dies instantly. and can be pulled out
Just out of curiosity, do you have a picture of those mats?

Chewiem16

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Some have said they don't like the look of the snow camo but it didn't bother me and it hides scratches and dings really well. Over time it has gotten a little darker because I haven't needed to do anything to clean it. One of the best mods to my boat by far.
I like that pattern. Great idea for hiding “wear and tear”

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
OEM seadeck on our boat is great. Easy to clean (spray with car wash soap, let sit, wash out with hose / self-bailing deck), easy to get stains out of, and super cool in the sun.

ONLY complaint is on the back transom pads, which are the only two that are glued down of course, wake board fins can cut it. I have a couple cuts now from people leaning too far on one side of the board as they're strapping in. It bothered me at first as I thought they cuts would just get bigger and turn into ugly holes. But they haven't (as many here told me they wouldn't) and now I view them as kinda cool scars on my boat. Anytime they catch my eye I know what day we were out boarding and it makes me smile.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

View attachment 126980

That's interesting, my 212S is closer in color to your JBP pads. Mine was delivered in January, so that would make sense.

Sean R

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
if it was me I would keep the carpet till it looks like crap, 3 or 4 years. Then upgrade to seadek or M.M. it would make the 4 year old boat look new again. Just my 2 cents.