• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Seadek vs Hydroturf

JTC1016

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm in on the seadeck group buy when it happens.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does the group buy include the add on pieces for the rear walk through areas and things like that?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've chimed in on these threads a couple times before and since owning both, I hope my experience has some value. I love the seadek in our current boat. The color matching, and durability are excellent. It looks much nicer than a monotone or two tone hydro turf.

That being said, I don't think the quality of the hydro turf being installed by the OEM's is the same as what can be bought in the after market, and it should not be compared to the aftermarket. Will will have to correct me, but I think it can be purchased in different thicknesses and it effects durability. That and if a person purchases the cut pattern vs the molded pattern has an impact on this long-term "dust" effect.

After having Hydro turf in our previous boat for nearly 8 years, I had no complains on it's quality and wear. I pressure washed that flooring on a regular basis (weekly) and never had an issue with it fading, peeling or turning to dust. Maybe it was because I was cleaning it constantly. It was molded diamond pattern, and maybe that was the difference. The cut patterns may wear differently.

I do notice that the SeaDek we currently have will shed a bit when I pressure wash. So I am a bit more cautious with cleaning. But it never shows dust with normal daily use.

Pick what fits your budget, but the overall look and performance of a Seadek kit from Will, is amazing.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Some Seadek threads you might find informative...

My Seadek install thread: https://jetboaters.net/threads/sx-230-seadek-install-note-pix-heavy.5837/

A thread on cleaning Seadek, including blood and fish guts: https://jetboaters.net/threads/seadek-on-the-fsh-and-fishing.15329/#post-264168

Seadek was my family's favorite mod (and I did a lot of mods), Strongly recommend the Seadek, you will be very pleased. @JetBoatPilot 's kits are exceptionally well done and a very good deal if bought during the group buy promotion. I bought mine early in the season at normal pricing because I really wanted it for that boating season. And, even at normal pricing, I found Will's kit to be a very good value.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have had both Hydro Turf and Sea Deck. Going forward I will only install Sea Deck. It’s worth the money, unless you’re trying to dress up the boat to sell and want to let it be someone else’s problem.

Since you’re in Texas, get the lightest color you can. Believe me darker colors look great, but are really hot to the touch. Light colors are absolutely the way to go if you want to be able to walk on it in the direct hot sun. BTW when it came time to replace the Hydro Turf in my 2013 with Sea Deck I called JBP and they made an excellent recommendation on pattern and color based on my model and color scheme. The teak look is pretty, but the micro dot version is a lot easier to keep clean.
1F1E936E-4CDB-4763-8325-EAEB7DECFEAE.jpeg

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I realize the urgency and that you want to have it perfect when your family comes to town but I wouldn’t make a $500 mistake due to urgency. Think about how long you’ll own the boat and in a couple of months you could have much better stuff for a little bit more money that will last you a lot longer. I would definitely consider waiting instead of worrying about someone’s first impression of boat.

All Seas

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't mind paying more for better quality items.

I just don't believe in paying more for the same product vs waiting a few weeks for a sale so I am not purchasing the Seadek now.

I am most likely going with the blacktip mats. $400 bucks, I can get them now and if they only last 2-3 years, who cares.

If the Seadek GP was going on now I would buy them but can't wait 3 months for mats.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I don't mind paying more for better quality items.

I just don't believe in paying more for the same product vs waiting a few weeks for a sale so I am not purchasing the Seadek now.

I am most likely going with the blacktip mats. $400 bucks, I can get them now and if they only last 2-3 years, who cares.

If the Seadek GP was going on now I would buy them but can't wait 3 months for mats.
Very foolish IMO... you will regret every bit of that decision when it comes time to replace.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you have carpet now?

That glue on the back of the mats will be a total pain in the butt to remove. After having removed only a few pieces, I would not glue any flooring down I had to remove again myself in my lifetime.

Maybe carpet or snaps on your black tips, but for the sake on your sanity, do not expect the mats to unglue without great pain.

All Seas

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've read that the PSA on the mats is not too bad to remove on non skid sections of the boat.

The pain comes when they are stuck to smooth sections of the deck or a cement is used like the factory swim platform applications

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
While my experience was painful, I admire your optimism. Some things you just have to try out for yourself.

Best of luck, let us know how it turns out!

Kevin hughes

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I say we start the group but now!

If everyone knows they can get 30% off in a few weeks there is not reason anyone will purchase it beforehand at full price.

I think I am going to give the blacktip mats a shot. My boat is covered and stored in the shade when not in use plus I only plan on keeping it 2-3 years. Last benefit would be that I can get them now and have the floor look good for when family comes to visit in a few weeks.
Were did you find the black tip at?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's SBT house brand.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This year's group buy will launch Sept 1 and within the first week or so we'll be at max discount I am sure. We purchased two new automated systems this year and at the moment are cutting pads in preparation for the group buy event. It is highly likely if you're looking for your pads quickly you could get them the first week or so in September if all goes well. I'm with the others who have said that you don't want to make a mistake with buying the lower end pads. SeaDek is worth the money and our customer service, due to our connectedness with the JetBoater community is really hard to beat. The guys at SBT are not bad people but they are not plugged into this community like we are and as such make decisions during customer issue resolution more like most other businesses out there.

One more side note. If you want to purchase the pads on September 1st at regular price you can do so, we'll ship to you asap, and then you can enter your name into the group buy so that you're in line for the discount. When the sale closes we'll credit back the earned discount and you'll have your pads 30 days early. This does not apply to orders placed anytime before September. We still have a business to run here and the group buy is a once a year special we do for members only.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Another option is GatorStep. Quality is right on par with seadek. They may have what you need without the wait. It is used in Malibu, centurion, MB, etc. good stuff.

sky11sky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You are correct in that it is not hydro turf but blacktip from another vendor. It seems they have a bare bones full kit for 400 and a teak seadek look version for 700.

I found this and looks pretty close to seadek:

30% sounds great but do not want to wait until November to install it. We just got the boat and were hoping to have the flooring done for a Labor Day party
looks good.. what is the link or website i could get one..?? also do you know they do it for ar210?

DianeRose

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hope I'm not too late....DO NOT PURCHASE BLACK TIP!!!!! I made that mistake and no matter what you do the black gets all over your feet, your swimsuits, everywhere. I had my seats recovered and its all over my seats. When I called the company they told me to wash the mats with Dawn dish detergent. I did that several times.....on my hands and knees more than once!!!!! Didn't work!!!! They are CRAP!!!!!! I am in the process of pulling them out of my boat. The old saying "You Get What You Pay For" is true in this case!!!! Just ordered SeaDek can't wait for them to get here!!!!!