• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shaft bearings SHOT!!! Now stuck shaft...ugh!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you do put the driveshaft back in, you will want to put Yamalube Molybdenum Disulfide Grease on the splines of the driveshaft. I ordered this on Amazon but there are probably other options

I battled in pulling out my impeller and jet pump today since I am replacing the housing assembly with the version that has a replaceable plastic liner. I guess one down side to a plastic liner is that you can't use heat to separate the jet pump/impeller housing/duct unless you are careful and/or are planning to put in a new plastic liner. The plastic liner would have melted with the heat that I used today. In the end, it was hard hammering on the bracket assemblies on the outside of the Duct (part that attaches to the hull plate on the back of the boat). lots of heat from a propane torch, and a good deal of PB Blaster.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Dang.... Wish I hadn't found this thread! Well, secretly glad I did, but worried about what I'll find now....

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't think you'll have any issues @cane.mba. My boat is 6 years older than yours and was perfect when I checked it two weeks ago.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You will hear it if you have an issue! Trust me.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The issue is at the end of the last season (last day out) the starboard jet was making a clanking sound on start up. Assumed it was something caught up, because it went away. Now I'm worried :). I'll find out tomorrow, I'm not planning on pulling the cones unless I see a visible clue or reason. However, I've never inspected the shaft or impeller, nor have I cleaned the screens.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like the common impeller clang when the motor gets that certain rhythmic rumble it resonates into the impeller and housing. Bad bearings will sound like a snow plow on bare asphalt or worse!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf, I decided to pull the cone and look at my bearings.

First I removed the three screws from the cone and tried to pull the cone out. It did not budge so I decided to pull the nozzle to get better access. I removed the shift and steering cables then the four bolts around the nozzle. When I pulled on the nozzle all of this came out.

JetsPulled.jpg

How do I remove the cone?

The shaft spins smoothly in the cone without grinding. Perhaps I should grease the spline and put it back together?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce seperate the casing right behind the filter and forward of your zinc.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Bruce , there are tabs on the edge both of those housings to pry them apart. They are sealed only with gasket maker...after you remove the 4? bolt. I didn't think you had to remove any of that to remove the tail cone and see the grease supply. You do have to remove it to change the bearings however. I will say this, if it is running smoothly and you don't have any slop or bearing growl...it might be a good idea to look at rule number 1..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...and I say this in all friendliness and helpfulness...and anyone, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As Mel said, a pry bar was the answer. Will post pics later

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Good job bruce!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, here are pictures of the bearings

PortConeBearings.jpg

And the grease in the cone

PortConeGrease.jpg

The grease in the bearings looked a little wet to me.

There is a real possibility that this is the factory grease.

How does it look to you?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looks similar to what I have seen on mine. I just scoop out the old grease and push as much new grease as possible into the bearing without removing anything. Be advised that the grease Yamaha recommends a difficult to find, high viscose grease.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's factory grease. Looks good from here. Be sure that the seal around the cone is in good shape when you reassemble it. Definitely worth the 45 minutes to check it since your boat is an older one, and even more so before your Atlantic crossing!

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's how mine looked as well "a little wet" with some white edging on the grease. I replaced the factory grease with Island Racings Marine Liquid Pump Grease. The service manual for my 230 said fill the cone to 3/4 full - maximum, if I remember correctly. It most definitely didn't say to fill the cone with grease.

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Actually now that I stare at your pics a little more your grease looks better than mine did. I actually had small amounts of water in each of my cones. Now, I'm talking drops not small puddles.

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Rigger , did you just replace the amount of grease in the cone with the Island Racing product or did you attempt to remove the old grease from the main housing like Cam did with a bag and some compressed air?

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Paulie There wasn't much grease around the bearings actually it all seemed to be in the cone. I cleaned out what I thought was good put the new grease in the cones then reassembled. I also installed new O rings from the dealer. I just used a rag to wipe e'm down as best as possible. No air or special solutions.