• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shaft bearings SHOT!!! Now stuck shaft...ugh!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just to keep it simple I am using the same grease that I use on my grease nipple up top, which is the same grease that I use in my trailer wheel bearings. marine grade, pulls water out if there is contamination and is meant for bearings. I am not going to over think this or over analyze it. I will check my pump cone every year now and if my bearings do go out, they look super simple to replace.

DUSTOFF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider Since @islandracing doesn't appear to have any interest in processing my order, I was thinking about going a similar route.

I use Royal Purple grease up top and in my wheel bearings. I was going to use that on the cone bearings but also add some Royal Purple marine gear lube.

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2014 AR190 and there's no mention of regular service for the cone bearing. I find this odd.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's rich!
The pictures I posted today look very similar to what you went through 6 years ago.
Only I haven't got mine to come out yet!
Were the splines all messed up?
Splines were OK.

AceBrown

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Is it easy to grease the bearing Housing behind the motors on 242 E-series? Does a regular grease gun with long hose couple up to grease fitting? had mine 4 yrs and don't believe they've been greased up but maybe once at 50 hour oil change! At 110 hours now! Suggestions

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it easy to grease the bearing Housing behind the motors on 242 E-series? Does a regular grease gun with long hose couple up to grease fitting? had mine 4 yrs and don't believe they've been greased up but maybe once at 50 hour oil change! At 110 hours now! Suggestions
Check out info on "intermediate bearing housing", it is super confusing...

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
leave it alone honestly if you must do anything add some gear lube to the housing by removing the grease fitting and inserting it in the hole using a small dental style syringe then reinstall the fitting, I get 650 hours on my bearings by doing that and never pumping grease into the housing . I also have 800 hours and counting on my pumps by adding in some gear lube.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hint: any doctor or dentist worth his salt and knowing you will provide you with such a syringe (and probably a tuberculin needle) if you ask and tell him/her honestly what it is for. I have gotten several this way for the purpose of refilling my fountain pen. Just ask, then look to @Cobra Jet Steering LLC 's advice on the matter.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I can get syringes/needles at any farm feed store around here. I used many raising sheep. Now, I use them for drawing/measuring 2-part polyurethane. I can get most sizes from 1cc to these 60cc ones.

20190416_182118.jpg

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
1586521773691.png purchase them in any pharmacy

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Host did you get the shaft out?
I ended up running wood through the intake grate and resting it on the impeller hub and beating it with a hand sledge. The wood did not transfer enough energy so I used a metal rod in place of the wood.

Johnq36

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ended up running wood through the intake grate and resting it on the impeller hub and beating it with a hand sledge. The wood did not transfer enough energy so I used a metal rod in place of the wood.

Johnq36

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry but just to be clear, you hit the shaft from the long or short end?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry but just to be clear, you hit the shaft from the long or short end?
Not sure what that means. My metal rod went through the intake gate towards the back of the boat and rested on the center hub area of the impeller. I then struck the rod end with a hand sledge to push the entire shaft towards the back of the boat. The splines on the shaft where it attaches to the motor/bearing was holding it from coming out.

I'm sure you have taken off the bolts on the impeller housing already so that the entire shaft/impeller/bearings and housing will slide out.

Johnq36

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure what that means. My metal rod went through the intake gate towards the back of the boat and rested on the center hub area of the impeller. I then struck the rod end with a hand sledge to push the entire shaft towards the back of the boat. The splines on the shaft where it attaches to the motor/bearing was holding it from coming out.

I'm sure you have taken off the bolts on the impeller housing already so that the entire shaft/impeller/bearings and housing will slide out.
Thanks for the quick response I got it out I am working on trying to release the bearings off the shaft and out of the house

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Freaking ingenious.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The last couple of times out I noticed the starboard shaft bearings in the pump were noisy and needed to be replaced. Boy oh boy do they ever as you can see in the pics. My port pump pulled right out with a gentle wiggle as it should, my starboard pump --- not so lucky! I've beat it, lubed it, wiggled it, swore at it and it will not move! I've been using a block of wood and a 6 pound hammer to no avail. My next step is to remove the intake grate and beat the impeller backward a little harder than I did today.

Any ideas would help!!

View attachment 150
Hey Murf... was that nut at the end of the shaft easy to get off, and did the shaft pull out of the bearings pretty easy? And how easily did the bearings come out of the housing...

I sorta got a bigger problem than I thought :-(

20230519_214754.jpg

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
He Murf... was that nut at the end of the shaft easy to get off, and did the shaft pull out of the bearing pretty easy?

I sorta got a bigger problem than I thought :-(
His went to a shop for rebuilds.

You look to have a major problem there. Are the bearings backed up in line with the nut? How was it not a major failure?

I would soak that in penetrating oil for a few days to see if you might be able to get the nut off and save the shaft.