• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shaft bearings SHOT!!! Now stuck shaft...ugh!

paul075

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So what is the best way to avoid the impeller from seizing to the shaft? Do you take it off at the begining of the season to add some anti-seize?
I believe the manual says a thick coating of marine grease. all in all it is probably a good idea to disassemble all of this every year as part of your maintenance schedule if your boat in saltwater

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe the manual says a thick coating of marine grease. all in all it is probably a good idea to disassemble all of this every year as part of your maintenance schedule if your boat in saltwater
I am begining to feel that it should be done every year. What is the time needed to pull the impeller?

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The manual says to loctite 567 on the impeller threads and bolts. That was what I did and they came apart a lot easier than the stock factory units did after a year, I actually oblong-ed the stock impeller hex area when disasembling.

Loctite 567 is a white paste, Below info from loctite. it is almost like a white pipe dope.
  • SubstratesLock And Seal Tapered Stainless Steel And All Other Metal, Pipe Threads And Fittings.
  • CharacteristicsSolvent Resistant, Easy Assembly. Prevent Galling And Withstand Temperatures Up To 400DF. For High Pressure Applications To 10,000 PSI. Disassembles With Hand Tools.
  • ApplicationIdeal For Stainless Steel, Aluminum, Galvanized Metal And Other Inert Metals.
The solas cone has 2 o-rings, an inner and outer, I packed grease behind my cone in front of impeller and it was still their a year later. The little hex set screws on solas cone can strip out very easy, so be carefull.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am begining to feel that it should be done every year. What is the time needed to pull the impeller?
I haven't done mine yet but understand you can pull and replace both In an hour. The hard part is removing the impeller from the shaft.

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@dan144k the name of loctite implies a thread locker, but that variation is a sealer and lubricator. It has similar properties to anti seize. But being submersed continuously, I suspect it is better than anti seize.

paul075

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am going to do mine every year or hundred hours just like spark plugs and oil change

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I
I am going to do mine every year or hundred hours just like spark plugs and oil change
if you boat in saltwater, that may be a good idea. But I don't think freshwater
boaters need to look at removing an impeller annually. Looking at the cone and rear bearings might be a 100 hour or 3 year service. Fresh water is much less of an issue.

RumDiet

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This thread is scaring the be-gee-bers out of me. Now I have to go and pull the pumps! Can someone clarify - to get to the hub - does the entire unit have to be pulled - or can it be done by just removing the outer portion - and is there a link for seals?

motorboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just take the two linkages off the reverse bucket assembly, and then there are 4 large bolts. Remove them and the whole works comes right out of the boat. If you arent changing impellers its a easy job. And even if you are most of them are ok.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If your cone bearings are bad....you'll know it! It gets very loud, it's intermittently loud at first.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Woot woot! Finally got time to pull em out of the box. Ready for the install.
image.jpg

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Always remember the impeller threads are backwards, reverse threads. Disassemble opposite when thinking of normal bolt. Impellers have left hand threads.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just pulled the pumps today to check the condition of the rear bearings. They look like they just left the factory so I'm good there thanks to the heads up from @Murf'n'surf Two questions though...Do we use Loctite 567 on the four long bolts that hold the pump housing on? Does anybody have the torque specs for those bolts?

On another note. I've heard people have had to use rubber mallets to persuade the sections off after removing the bolts. I found that Yamaha, in their infinate wisdome, installed two pry points on each section to allow you to use a flat bladed screw driver to easily separate the sections.

Attachments

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tried those pry points....it was starting to tear out pieces of the aluminum.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I haven't reinstalled yet. I'll consult my service manual for proper torque/thread locker.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks so much for this thread Murf..... It always amazes me how much I can learn by just hanging out with you guys!

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used anti-seize on my long bolts plus a smear of RTV to seal the pump housings. Probably not necessary but there was a touch of some red yamaseal there when I took it apart. If a guy was anal he would take the locating pins out and lap the two halves of the housing together with some valve grinding compound. Cam

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't use the pry points since it is only aluminum and they can break.